What are you reading in August ?

AncalagonTheBlack

Thanks for the reminder about Emperor of Thorns, I'll be ordering that in the next week or so. :)

I managed to pick up The Cuckoo's Calling for £8 in WHSmith the other day, so I might start on that next. I also got Neil Gaiman's Stardust, for £1.99 in a cheap book shop, which looks intriguing. I've heard very good things about him.

I had originally posted this in the July thread as it was still July in my neck of the woods, even the majority of the world was already in August.

I finally finished The Flames of Shadam Khoreh by Brad Beaulieu. The Lays of Anuskaya was a series that I should've liked a lot more. It had the elements of fantasy that I really like such as an original world, three dimensional characters and a good plot but I found myself having to summon enthusiasm to read a chapter. For some reason I couldn't connect to the characters.

Now reading the Aztec by Gary Jennings. Why is this monstrosity of a book not in an ebook format? I miss my ereader already even though I'm only 35 pages in!

I had originally posted this in the July thread as it was still July in my neck of the woods, even the majority of the world was already in August.

I finally finished The Flames of Shadam Khoreh by Brad Beaulieu. The Lays of Anuskaya was a series that I should've liked a lot more. It had the elements of fantasy that I really like such as an original world, three dimensional characters and a good plot but I found myself having to summon enthusiasm to read a chapter. For some reason I couldn't connect to the characters.

Now reading the Aztec by Gary Jennings. Why is this monstrosity of a book not in an ebook format? I miss my ereader already even though I'm only 35 pages in!

I read the first one and I agree, it didn't grab me at all and I had to struggle to finish it. Can't point to anything inheretly bad about it, but it just felt flat and I had trouble engaging in the story. Kinda the same with Malice.

My copy of Emperor of Thorns arrived today and is sat staring at me whilst i finish Dark Tower III: wastelands.

But just a heads up to anyone who ordered EoT off amazon UK, the pre-release price promise didn't automatically drop for me. I ordered it weeks ago at £15.19 but on Monday it went down to £8.50ish but they still tried to charge me the full amount. So check your invoices.

My copy of Emperor of Thorns arrived today and is sat staring at me whilst i finish Dark Tower III: wastelands.

But just a heads up to anyone who ordered EoT off amazon UK, the pre-release price promise didn't automatically drop for me. I ordered it weeks ago at £15.19 but on Monday it went down to £8.50ish but they still tried to charge me the full amount. So check your invoices.

That's pretty cheeky of them. Hope you managed to sort it out!

Still reading The Stone of Farewell. I can't remember the last time it took me this long to read a book. It's finally picking up, at least. I think I'm about 85% of the way through. Don't know if I'm going to have the stomach for the last one, which is even longer. I see a Wikipedia synopsis in my future...

Not sure what to read next. Was thinking about starting the Broken Empire trilogy--been putting it off because I don't like to get stuck in series that are in progress. Or maybe the Book Thief, since everyone is apparently loving it so much!

Archived