Am I the only one that doesn't see Jon trying to take the throne?

zeppelincheetah

You can't compare Stannis to Jon Snow; Stannis is Westeros' ideal monarch, Jon isn't.

Actually, as a worshipper of the Red God he is nowhere near the ideal monarch. Especially now that the faith militant have risen. Jon and Stannis are very comparable if you believe Stannis doesn't really "want" the throne. If you do, that pretty much makes him a cliche too, and no one wants to label their "ideal monarch" that...

Not according to anyone in Westeros.

Just because he's Westeros' ideal monarch doesn't mean he's the ideal monarch for players. What they want are kings like Robert; fools who are too weak willed to control them and their scheming.

Then again I may be slightly biased as a Stannis fan girl, but I still don't see Stannis as an overused fantasy cliche. That would be a King Jon Targaryen who grudgingly took the throne because the realm needed him and his shaky legitimacy

Actually, as a worshipper of the Red God he is nowhere near the ideal monarch. Especially now that the faith militant have risen. Jon and Stannis are very comparable if you believe Stannis doesn't really "want" the throne. If you do, that pretty much makes him a cliche too, and no one wants to label their "ideal monarch" that...

If anyone truly believes Stannis doesn't really want the IT, I have a bridge to sell them.

I knew Stannis was an overused trope...

I don't think so. Stannis is different in a sense that pretty much nobody wants him to take the throne and isn't well liked in-story unlike the typical use of this trope. He'd also really like to be the king and nobody had to persuade and convince him to press his claim.

I don't think so. Stannis is different in a sense that pretty much nobody wants him to take the throne and isn't well liked in-story unlike the typical use of this trope. He'd also really like to be the king and nobody had to persuade and convince him to press his claim.

I still don't think Jon as ruler would be as cliche as everyone says. I like the contrast he has to Young Griff in that he's a lot like Varys described at the end of DwD. One scenario I see is Dany getting to Westeros, slaying the lie that is Young Griff, JonCon, and later Stannis, and then someone finding out about R+L=J. She will seek him out and try to convince him to take the throne, he scoffs... then the Others invade and the real battle begins... In the end, everyone sails into the Grey Havens Sunset Sea

I still don't think Jon as ruler would be as cliche as everyone says. I like the contrast he has to Young Griff in that he's a lot like Varys described at the end of DwD.

What does Jon know about ruling? Young Griff was trained to be Varys' ideal ruler

One scenario I see is Dany getting to Westeros, slaying the lie that is Young Griff, JonCon, and later Stannis, and then someone finding out about R+L=J

I thought you just said Jon won't have a cliche reason to why he becomes king?

I would love to see George write a logical explanation as to why Dany would think Aegon's a fake but Jon's the real deal.

She will seek him out and try to convince him to take the throne,

And why would she do that?

It's ridiculous to think she'd believe such a ludicrous idea in the first place but now you also think she'd willingly give him the throne she's been fighting for? We want a non cliche ending, not a LotR one <_<

he scoffs... then the Others invade and the real battle begins... In the end, everyone sails into the Grey Havens Sunset Sea

So in the end you do accept that the only possible way Jon could ever become king is if George decides he no longer cares about being realistic and decides to give a cliche ending.

I'm with the OP, I just can't see Jon taking the throne. He might have problems keeping his vows. but in the end he won't abandon the Night's Watch. That's a vow he won't break. He was given the chance by Stannis to get Winterfel, he refused. That's all you need to know about Jon.

I would love to see George write a logical explanation as to why Dany would think Aegon's a fake but Jon's the real deal.

"A blue rose grew in a chink in a wall of Ice and filled the air with sweetness."

Dany has made a lot of references to Lyanna already, even mentions of Rhaegar getting her pregnant.

I don't see how she won't believe it once the claim is out there.

And why would she do that?

I should've said "rule with her." I mean Jon would be the real only other person with a decent amount of Targ blood, and because she's very enthusiastic about the Blood of the Dragon I see her wanting to meet him.

Also, I'm curious as to why no one thinks GRRM will write anything remotely like a "cliche" ending. Its not like he's a cliche-free man. I think the death of Eddard, Robb, and Catelyn overstate his deconstruction of cliches. He uses plenty, and that's not a bad thing.

Looking at you, Brienne, Robert, Drogo, Joffrey, Aeron, Tyrion, Samwell, and Sansa...

Jon being king(on the Iron Throne that is) is impossible if logic count for anything in this series, because for a man to become a king he need quite a large group of supporters to put him on the throne. And do tell me, who is going to put Jon Snow on the throne and who is going to allow it?

Dany and her Dragons maybe.

Na your right he is Ned Starks little known bastard who would be seen as an oathbreaker if he tried.

No to Jon going south. Any Stark who goes South will be killed at some point.

"A blue rose grew in a chink in a wall of Ice and filled the air with sweetness."

Dany has made a lot of references to Lyanna already, even mentions of Rhaegar getting her pregnant.

I don't see how she won't believe it once the claim is out there.

So you think Dany would believe R+L=J because of some visions she saw but not Aegon despite the fact that he has actual evidence to prove his claim?

So believable isn't it?

I should've said "rule with her." I mean Jon would be the real only other person with a decent amount of Targ blood, and because she's very enthusiastic about the Blood of the Dragon I see her wanting to meet him.

None of this makes sense:

1. What does Jon know about ruling

2. There is no logical explanation as to why she'd believe him and not Aegon

3. If I was Dany and someone told me there's some Northern bastard up in the Wall whose claiming to be Rhaegar's son I'd either brush him off as a crazy man or execute him for treason.

4. Her believing Aegon is helluva lot more realistic than her believing Jon

5. No offence but everything you wrote sounds more like wishful thinking than a realistic ending to ASOIAF.

I see lots of topics about him being the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar, about him being Azor Assai reborn, but this might not necessarily be the case. I am cautious about Jon being the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. So many people seem to be convinced. Anyways lets assume you're right. He is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar, which would make him Rhaegar's bastard son (no legitimate claim to the throne so there's really no point).

Lets say he is Azor Assai reborn as well. Both of those don't point him to want to take the Iron Throne. He is a member of the Night's Watch and despite being stabbed to "death" I don't see him all of the sudden deciding to claim the throne. That just seems very unlike him, after all that happened with the wildlings. He lived with them and loved them but still turned his cloak back to his duty as a member of the Night's Watch. He has invested so much in the wall and trying to protect the realm from the others that I see it very unlikely that he will just turn his back on it and decide "screw this, I want to be a king. Ghost to me!"

I actually don't want Jon to take the throne (or attempt to). I think it would make for bad writing. I see him leading an army against the others. I would even be ok if he rode one of the dragons (though I might roll my eyes a little). But Iron Throne? Hell no!

Well I think we can safely assume he wont. So many people believe he will so its likely GRRM has completely ruled it out as well :)

The thing is, Jon may not even have the choice to say no. If he is resurrected as AA Reborn, he will instantly have the following of the Queens Men, the Wall, The North, and the Wildlings. Stannis loses at minimum half of his supporters and may be forced to follow Jon simply because he lost his own armies to him. Jon can try to deny his fate and identity, but I don't think he will be able to stop the momentum of the resurrection miracle. He may not pursue the IT, but he will at minimum be the King in the North without wanting or trying.

For the OP. I think your topic statement/question is wrong. While a great number of us believe in the idea/theory of R+L=J. The vast majority of us, do not want Jon anywhere near the IT. He is of the North and that is where most us want him to stay. The only way, Jon would sit the IT, would be if the vast majority of the Seven Kingdoms asked him too. Not for his own personal gain. At the very most; some us think he will be crowned KitN or Regent for one of the true born Stark kids, as per Robb's wishes.(No need for the anti Jon crowd to chime about Rickkon, Bran, Arya or Sansa's claim to the North. We get it, you hate Jon.)

As for my own personal hopes for Jon, should he live: I would be thrilled, if he was able to marry someone like Val and have children; while being the LC of a new and more modern thinking NW.

Archived