TTTNE 396 - spring in the southern hemisphere

Gillio

<mod>

Gang:

TTTNE has run thus far based on an agreement with Ran that things won't get out of hand. After the 1k-and-wrapped thread in thirteen hours, the mods are in agreement that the hand lost it there. The board FAQ has this to say about it:

Before anyone points it out, no, posts don't count in Forum Games. But that thread went too far. If you want a place to chat freely, the chat board is here.

You're all valued as board members and we recognize that TTTNE has historically been allowed a lot of licence. However, that licence can and will be revoked at the mods' discretion. This is a final warning.

</mod>

Ice crow:

Ok first of all guys it has nothing to do with a 14 day spam cycle wherever the hell that number came from because in all my time here we sure as hell have never gone by an arbitrary number determining exactly how long a TTTNE must last, the problem was people were trying to race way way way to soon making the last few threads before the last one move stupid fast that was the issue. When you add the fact people were trying to race to soon and a large number of posts in those threads that weren't really convo of any kind if i was a mod i would have warned everyone here as well.

Look everyone the way we finished the last thread was perfectly fine and the way we are going in this thread so far is perfectly fine , if this thread ends in 3 or 4 days or 12 days we will be fine again for the bazillonth time the problem was when everyone was purposely trying to kill the threads fast and that is something that is not acceptable anywhere here in Westeros. So again our current flow of spam is fine everyone we just cannot race till minimum 900 or around 950 like for the most part have always done and we have nothing to worry about i have talked with the mods about this .

At this point i think everyone knows and understand things so lets get back to spamming the way it was meant to be, if anyone seems to not be understanding as a TTTNE community we will let that person know what they are doing wrong . I say with everyone now knowing whats going on and what the problem was and what the solution is we put this to bed, otherwise if we keep talking about it people are gonna start to be afraid to post at all cus then it will just be the CROW posting in here and by the gods none of us want that HAR HAR HAR.

Mountain Goat:

The issue with racing is not the speed that the posts and threads get made in, its the content of those posts. One short line, one word, an emoticon, or even one letter posts are annoying and wasteful. The mods are totally right to want to stamp out that sort of thing. Remember all this stuff gets backed up on a server somewhere and Ran and Linda are paying for that storage space. TTTNE is at its best when everyone is posting full thoughts and interesting things, bouncing random strange ideas off each other and seeing the resulting chaos and hilarity coming back. Those are the memorable moments worth fighting for. It ain't about the race till right at the end, the last 50 odd posts or so.

And to add my own views to this: TTTNE has always been a place for fun and friendship. As I previously posted, many of us have even met up in person. This is more than just an anonymous internet forum, it is a place of true friendship.

Anyway, I hope we can all fun and continue to build our relationships. :)

And to add my own views to this: TTTNE has always been a place for fun and friendship. As I previously posted, many of us have even met up in person. This is more than just an anonymous internet forum, it is a place of true friendship.

Anyway, I hope we can all fun and continue to build our relationships. :)

Word, Lany.

I feel "at home" when I post here. I like sharing my life with you - and I think it's great that we have such a means of talking to each other - regardless of place or time difference.

:cheers:

Here's to all the good friends I found here. I have a soft spot in my heart for all of you.

:grouphug:

And I hope that I may be able to meet you guys in person.

Word, Lany.

I feel "at home" when I post here. I like sharing my life with you - and I think it's great that we have such a means of talking to each other - regardless of place or time difference.

Here's to all the good friends I found here. I have a soft spot in my heart for all of you.

Meeting would be awesome. I plan to do as many cons as I can next year. topping the list is London! second is ConCarolinas, and then there are things in DC, Philly, NYC to choose from

Word, Lany.

I'm such a newbie here, but each and every person I've been interacting with here is a sweetheart one way or the other. Everybody is so different, and yet you guys are all so nice and special and it's really an honor to be part of something like TTTNE or the board in general. So, I whole heartedly agree with everything L_T wrote :grouphug:

And I'm also offering L_T my cup of tea, that I won't have time to drink, because I must be at the bar, JESUS, in 20 minutes, for all the cups of coffee and tea he had offered us when in need.

Love and hugs to you guys! :grouphug:

So, I'm posting some of these based on Ang's requests. A lot comes from what happened through threads 358-359-360.

Lany copy pasted Ang's post from TTTNE 360, which explains a bit on what is acceptable and what isn't in terms of spammage. It comes from the Board FAQ. Consider this some sort of style guide to spammage. I know some of you already have either been part or heard the story, but I'm complying to Ang's request and taking my "duties" as Temporary Ruler of the Spam Court.

Q. What about if I do a lot of short posts? Do those count?

A. Yes and no. The board is dumb and it'll tally them. But Ran or the moderators will delete them, and maybe you'll be titled something humiliating if you do this chronically. They don't like a lot of short one-liners. If you feel a need to make a quip in a thread (especially in forums dedicated to series discussion), try to give the post some substance. And definitely don't start any threads for the sole purpose of making a short joke or a series of the same.

As ICE CROW and princeMountainGoat pointed out in the posts Lany linked, TTTNE functions like a long, slow, conversation. It is still under the jurisdiction of the Board, and things that aren't accepted in other sections will not fly here. There isn't an "acceptable" speed level to the flow of the Spam, with the exception that this isn't a chat room and that the moment were people find it impossible to catch up is likely that were taking it too quickly. You don't have to catch up at all if you don't want to anyway, the TTTNE is flexible enough for you to respond to the posts you want to at the point you want to!

Also, this is also more on general board policy, in regards to what occurs when a thread gets locked, a post gets edited, or a thread gets deleted. Also part of the Board FAQ.

Q. Did my post get deleted? I don't have any mail explaining why!

A. If you think it was deleted, it probably was, and you very probably know why. Don't complain on the board about it, as it doesn't really look good and it will win you no sympathy. Ran generally sends no explanations either privately or publicly on the theory that people are wise enough to know why their posts were deleted. Each moderator, however, is allowed their own policy -- some prefer to give a warning before moving on to removing posts that flout the generally accepted rules of etiquette on the board.

If you really have no reason why your post was deleted, you can e-mail Ran and ask. If he deleted the mail, he'll tell you why, and if some other moderator removed it he'll forward your mail to them so that they can answer. Public questions about deletions will rarely be answered, and are usually unappreciated, as the moderators prefer to keep moderation decisions a private matter.

So, the law in the Netherlands is that you are allowed to buy beer when you turn 16. Some Of my friends are 16or will be soon. I'm still 15 but I'll be 16 in a couple of months. Mmm, I think, gonna get me some beer then.

HOWEVER, someone high up there has decided 16 is too young - which might be, but A LOT of people start drinking here before that, though in varying amounts. Now, the new law will be that you have to be 18 to buy beer. And when will this new law start operating? You guessed it, no less than eighteen days before my birthday - before the day I could have started buying beer.

God DAMN it...

I also recently watched the 2012 version of Les Miserables, after I discovered the song 'I Dreamed A Dream,' which I liked a lot. And I loved the movie. But the tunes and lYrics are simply TOO DAMN CATCHY. It's still sppoking through my head 5 days later. Especially the 'Red and Black' and 'Do You Hear The People Sing?' parts. I'm also quite surprised that I liked the movie at all - I'm not really a musical type of guy, and it's not really what boys my age usually watch. But, well, fuck MTV.

Also, Lord_Tyrion, you're German then? I like that language a lot better than French :P

So, the law in the Netherlands is that you are allowed to buy beer when you turn 16. Some pf my friends are 16 or will be soon. I'm still 15 but I'll be 16 in a couple of months. Mmm, I think, gonna get me some beer then.

HOWEVER, someone high up there has decided 16 is too young - which might be, but A LOT of people start drinking here before that, though in varying amounts. Now, the new law will be that you have to be 18 to buy beer. And when will this new law start operating? You guessed it, no less than eighteen days before my birthday - before the day I could have started buying beer.

God DAMN it...

Welcome to the real world, my young pada.. friend.

Also, Lord_Tyrion, you're German then? I like that language a lot better than French :P

Yes, but I consider myself as a cosmopolitan. As I speak/understand a couple of languages. Even Dutch.

:stunned: What in seven hells happened here? :whip:

Now I had idea for forum game...it's variation of Nerolunar's what is poster above you thinking...this one is more like...how you imagine poster above you :) ...now all I got to do is get him to start it...Nero!!! where are you Nero!!!

Uhhh, why would you want Nero to do it? It is your idea, you start it.

Ran out of my pink tea. :( I need my pink tea. How else will I scare away unwanted male visitors...?

:wideeyed: You are depressing me. Can you send some of those over here?

It would be awesome to a fellow poster in person. Nobody happens to live in Holland here, right? :)

Actually, as far as I know, there are quite many posters from there. At least I seem to remember some people said they were from there.

More on the TTTNE "style of guide" (what to do! what to do!)

Consider this an unspoken code of honor of this thread.

Chat it Up

If you feel chatty, the board has a few outsourced chat rooms set up. There's the yuku Chat. I don't have the link to the IRC Chatroom some of the users here have, but I'm guessing they'd provide it at your request too.

Feel this is too much restriction? The TTTNE even expanded to yuku's Spam Central, ran by former Spam Monarchs Pebble and Lany. Ask them for the links if you want to join. Yuku has some age restrictions I think.

Try to multi-quote

When you're catching up, if you can, try not to reply to posts one by one, adding four or five consecutive posts to answer things. I know particularly this is a challenge from the mobile posters. But it does a favor to the thread, whenever possible, since it contains most information you might want to contribute in a single post, which lightens up the burden for the database (if even for a bit), and the page turning for users that come once a day. It doesn't mean you have to multi-quote everything, but even going back and adding a quote to a post you've just made is fine. I sometimes make a post from computer and then go back and add another quote I'd like to add.

Please Spoilerize

This is a long standing tradition of TTTNE, and it comes from people not being in the same part of the world, sometimes missing live airings of the GoT series, or other things. The board has dedicated spoiled forums for the show and the books. Don't assume everyone is caught up to the minute. To use spoiler tags use the following code: [spoiler.]INSERT TEXT HERE

With the NFL season up and coming, it's nice to remind any of the vets who might of forgot and to let the new folks know that traditionally we do not discuss the scores of any NFL games here in the TTTNE unless they are spoiler tagged. Our great friend princeMountainGoat, the court chronicler, is true fan and out of respect for him, we don't talk about the outcomes of games openly without spoiler tags because he doesn't get to watch the games when they are live usually. This also applies to any GoT episode being aired.

On The Race

So, the poster of the thousandth post gets to name the next thread. Yep. I know this sounds fun and you would want to push to the race fast some times if the Spam is strong in you. But we can't spam for the sake of racing only... as per agreement post TTTNE 360 we're holding up our horses to posts 900ish. Enjoy the thread talk, and have fun seeing how it wiggles and diverts around. It's pretty hilarious sometimes.

Keep it friendly!

This is from ICE Crow's post in 360. I think he said it best:

Well after being informed on some things i think the CROW should put up a TTTNE advisory message.

The TTTNE is a home away from home for many of us it is a place where we get together to have a good time and shoot the shit with great people about anything, the true essences of spam.

Basically, as Lany pointed out, a lot of the people in TTTNE go on to have friendships outside these threads, or even relationships (Re: Chelly and CROW). We're friends, first and foremost. Scream matches aren't what this thread is about, or sniping. We listen to your stories, cheer you up if when you need it. Some posters pour their lives here, others are more private. Nothing is required other than respect.

Have fun spamming!

(remove the period from the end of the first tag)

Archived