Why does Arya have so many chapters?

total1402

First book is fine and in line with Sansas with 5 chapters. Then in Clash of Kings she has ten and in ASOS 13 (that's more than Jon). Which basically just boils down to her being captured several times and escaping until she is present for the Red Wedding; then she goes to Braavos to train. The death of her father and the Red Wedding are traumatic enough events to make Arya have the mentality she does by AFFC to embrace being a Faceless Man. Aside from a few funny bits of banter with the hound not much happens until the Red Wedding and after (chapters which are crucial for the character and powerful). I mean a lot of people complain about the travelogues in the later books as an aberration which krept into Martins work. But, its kind of the same with Arya. Especially considering this character arc is an assasian...whos yet to kill anyone and where the real killers (Jof n Tywin) r already dead. Kind of hard to be invested in a character who wants personal revenge against dead characters.

Through her chapters you get to see what is going on with the smallfolk in the seven kngdoms during the Wot5K. In feast, that role is taken over conveniently by Brienne, as Arya moves to Braavos. Another reason is Arya is the most awesome character in the entire series, though that is subjective. (It is not subjective, it is known).

:commie: Arya :commie: Arya :commie: Arya :commie: Arya :commie: Arya :commie: Arya :commie:

[...]

You know whose chapters I like a little less than the others for no particular reason? No? That must be because I don't whine about them.

Seriously though, Arya is an interesting character. I'm sorry you don't like her chapters or her arc or whatever, but many other people do.

Why should they be cut? It's not as if Arya's line doesn't have any touching points with the rest of the cast, and as soon as GRRM wants, he can easily deploy her all over Planetos via some FM mission, wherever he prefers. Then she'll rejoin the main fray for real.

Through her chapters you get to see what is going on with the smallfolk in the seven kngdoms during the Wot5K. In feast, that role is taken over conveniently by Brienne, as Arya moves to Braavos. Another reason is Arya is the most awesome character in the entire series, though that is subjective. (It is not subjective, it is known).

:commie: Arya commie: Arya commie: Arya commie: Arya commie: Arya commie: Arya commie: Arya commie: Arya commie: Arya commie: Arya :commie:

You can convey the small folk suffering without needing two books to do it in. Ned meeting the riverlands men in the throneroom conveyed pretty well what the general fair is and theres not much to say beyond stating repeatedly "these people are suffering" so many times. I am not a fan of "rogue" characters in general so I don't think shes that badass and I don't think shes done enough to merit that much badassery.

Tomorrow's edition: Why (blank) has so many chapters? Sadly, I can see this becoming a thing...

As for Arya, I think it needs to go that way. You don't transform child into murderer so easily, in short notice. You need time, thematically it needs to grow, narrative it has to have structure and have logical steps in that path. I don't see anything in the number of Arya's chapters, except of dedication of the author to go in depth with her character. I like it, respect it and honestly celebrate it... I am not sure if this question is productive, but we'll see. I hope I'll be proven wrong.

Arya has so many chapters because she interacts with so many people. Out of all the Stark kids' POVs, she's travelled the farthest and met the most people. Jon stayed at the Wall and in the North, Sansa stayed at King's Landing until the end of aSoS, where she only really went a few places, and Bran was just travelling with three other people who he knew and a direwolf.

You know whose chapters I like a little less than the others for no particular reason? No? That must be because I don't whine about them.

Seriously though, Arya is an interesting character. I'm sorry you don't like her chapters or her arc or whatever, but many other people do.

Why should they be cut? It's not as if Arya's line doesn't have any touching points with the rest of the cast, and as soon as GRRM wants, he can easily deploy her all over Planetos via some FM mission, wherever he prefers and then she'll rejoin the fray for real.

The likes of Jon and Tyrion are doing important things whilst Arya is merely surviving. Yet she has the same or more chapters in Clash and Storm as them. Theres not a lot to establish except that shes "still kicking" in her chapters as various horrible things are done to her or she witnesses.

Translation: I don't think this character deserves so many POVs so I'll frame it as a question when what I really want to do is complain about it.

:bowdown:

Tomorrow's edition: Why (blank) has so many chapters? Sadly, I can see this becoming a thing...

As for Arya, I think it needs to go that way. You don't transform child into murderer so easily, in short notice. You need time, thematically it needs to grow, narrative it has to have structure and have logical steps in that path. I don't see anything in the number of Arya's chapters, except of dedication of the author to go in depth with her character. I like it, respect it and honestly celebrate it... I am not sure if this question is productive, but we'll see. I hope I'll be proven wrong.

No, don't do that.

Translation: I don't think this character deserves so many POVs so I'll frame it as a question when what I really want to do is complain about it.

:bowdown:

Well she doesn't. Not in Clash and Storm. If anything there should be less in them and more later on when shes training so that we would actually get to see her do something with this learning besides repeat how much she wants revenge.

I agree... You wanna bet how much time we'll need to see Sansa on the block? :)

First book is fine and in line with Sansas with 5 chapters. Then in Clash of Kings she has ten and in ASOS 13 (that's more than Jon). Which basically just boils down to her being captured several times and escaping until she is present for the Red Wedding; then she goes to Braavos to train. The death of her father and the Red Wedding are traumatic enough events to make Arya have the mentality she does by AFFC to embrace being a Faceless Man. Aside from a few funny bits of banter with the hound not much happens until the Red Wedding and after (chapters which are crucial for the character and powerful). I mean a lot of people complain about the travelogues in the later books as an aberration which krept into Martins work. But, its kind of the same with Arya. Especially considering this character arc is an assasian...whos yet to kill anyone and where the real killers (Jof n Tywin) r already dead. Kind of hard to be invested in a character who wants personal revenge against dead characters.

Because, total, as you have valiantly argued many times over across several OPs, GRRM is not a very good writer. His plot holes are glaring and many, his ability to craft a compelling narrative sadly and profoundly lacking, and he bends over backwards to stack the plot against Dany. It's a wonder the members of this forum, dedicated as it is to the wretched literary morass GRRM has created, don't flee in droves, having been bathed repeatedly in the light of your wisdom.

Arya is consistently one of the POVs I can't wait to get back to. Even when she's just travelling it's not as boring as say a Brienne or Bran travelling chapter. I think it's because her thoughts are the most entertaining of all characters in the series for me. Just as Tyrion and Jaime have the wittiest dialogue, her thoughts are the funniest and keep me entertained. She meets more interesting characters thought, as well. Part of my problem with Bran is for a long time he was with the same cast, and I wasn't that thrilled with them.

Plus, the Faceless Men were one of the big mysteries of the world, so it was amazing to get an inside look.

Oh, and there's been so many horrible characters that have gotten away with so much that it's refreshing to see a character who is totally dedicated to killing a bunch of them, even if they never succeed at it. It's kind of like Wyman Manderly hating on the Freys.

Because she's so cool!!

In a series that has five books, thousands of pages, twenty something POV characters (I think), and two more books to come (@ least), there's bound to be some portions that you just don't like. Honestly, until the entire series is finished, I don't think that there's actually an answer to your question. In other words, none of us know exactly where Arya's story is going to end up, so I don't think it's possible yet to say that certain passages and portions of her story were unnecessary.

Archived