Sansa and Arya have both abandoned the Stark ways to live.

Dance Layder

I always thought that 'Ned' got his honor thing from his time with Jon Aryn not because of so called 'northern honor'.

The traits of northern honor are not seen in any other northerners apart from Ned, Rob and Jon. Ned's dad and brother were never known for their honor.

Very few character in asoiaf are. And Jon Arryn was only called honorable because... he has never done something horribly wrong and has been the most powerful Lord of the 7K for quite some time, so it's only natural that people speak good of him. I am not sure, but I remember him called "just" and "good" just as often as "honorable". But from what he's done, we can't really tell if he was "more honorable" than .... Adam Marbrand, Garlan Tyrell, Galbart Glover, Berric Dondarrion, and many many others.

As for Brandon and Rickard, well... we know that Brandon was very impulsive, but all the negative things about him we hear from Barbrey, iirc, who isn't exactly the most reliable narrator. The fact that Rickard and Brandon both rode south and willingly put themselves in a situation where they would be at the mercy of Aerys, makes them honorable in my eyes. They put what they thought was right above their own safety.

It could be argued that in Brandon's case it was no more than rage, but the emotion alone would have cooled down in the long ride down to KL, and a person with less honor and the same rage would probably pursue a safer method of vengeance.

Very few character in asoiaf are. And Jon Arryn was only called honorable because... he has never done something horribly wrong and has been the most powerful Lord of the 7K for quite some time, so it's only natural that people speak good of him. I am not sure, but I remember him called "just" and "good" just as often as "honorable". But from what he's done, we can't really tell more about his honor than .... Adam Marbrand, Garlan Tyrell, Galbart Glover, Berric Dondarrion, and many many others.

I am not suggesting that Jon Arryn was honorable but his words are 'high as honor' and Ned spent most of his life with him. Therefore we can safely assume that Ned is more likely to have been so honorable because of that rather than because of what the OP calls 'northern honor'

In the spirit of the previous request, I will offer my definition of what the "Stark ways" are (in point form for simplicity):

• Strong bond with the North and Winterfell in particular

A quiet, unspoken determination

A desire to return to the North when elsewhere

Keeping the Old Gods

Rising to the occasion in the face of challenges

When looking at the "Stark ways" as presented above, I cannot help but see that both Sansa and Arya have upheld them admirably, albeit both in different ways. Although I could list a lot of different ways in which this is demonstrated, I will use two microcosms that illustrate this:

1. Sansa building a snow castle of Winterfell at the Eyrie

2. Arya hiding Needle

We could go on and no and list further examples of this but for simplicity I will leave it at those.

And let's not forget that Sansa continues to dream of Lady and of her life in Winterfell before King Robert's arrival. Arya still has her wolf dreams, when she wanders the riverlands as Nymeria. No, they may have camouflaged themselves to survive, but they have not forgotten who they are.

I am not suggesting that Jon Arryn was honorable but his words are 'high as honor' and Ned spent most of his life with him. Therefore we can safely assume that Ned is more likely to have been so honorable because of that rather than because of what the OP calls 'northern honor'

Jon Arryn was the man who refused to surrender Ned and Robert to King Aerys when the latter demanded he do so. He chose to call his banners instead and rebelled against the king, If that is not honor, what is?

It's funny that so many see Ned's honor as a failure to comprehend pragmatism when IMO it is on overt reaction to same. What, you think Ned lived through wholesale family slaughter, 2 wars and several executions and failed to grasp the fact that discordant honor codes can get you killed?

Or did he see so much death and destruction that he determined death was everywhere znd inevitable, and the importance was less about how to avoid it longer, and more about finding something more meaningful until it happens? If GRRM writes someone with Ned's life experience as naive to the ways of the world, that would really stretch credulity on my part.

How was Jon Arryn not honourable?

Nobody argued that he wasn't honorable. Just not to an extent where you could state with certainty that his education should be considered the reason for the uniqueness in Ned's mentality rather than northern "starkish" culture, or his experience and conclusion from that, which you also considered as a possibly important factor.

Ned got his own sense of honor from what he saw and heard. He kept his gods and knew it would be beneficial to his leadership to be more of a father figure to his bannermen. Ned didnt like the slaughter of innocents. He saw the Targ children slaughtered and it disgusted him so much, he left in a huge huff. People tend to forget that. It took years for him and Robert to make up over that one.

As for the Stark Ways, well theres this thing Ned refers to as "the wolf's blood". This indicates hotheadedness and a wildness. He said his brother Brandon had it and so did Lyanna. He tells Arya this and how both siblings met with an early grave as a result. This implies Ned learned from the mistakes of others and remained coolheaded for the sake of his realm. Ned appears the exception to many Stark traditions. While the Starks of old have always been implied to be cold, stoic, and a bit unforgiving, there appears to be a level of impulsiveness to the House prior to Ned. We see Benjen being a blend of the two types. Hes got the Old Stark coldness going on and even temper. But hes snarky, and even bolder than his older brother. Torrhen sounds like a dude who wanted to go to war, all hot and bothered, but bent the knee when he realized he couldnt win. Rikard Stark sounded like he was meddling in things he didnt quite understand (or if he did, he didnt do it right). Robb is not exactly Generation Xerox of Ned contrary to popular belief. He had a lot of Tully in him. Their words are "Family, Duty, Honor." So Robb tried to follow this along with "Winter Is Coming." He failed...spectacularly. Ned failed due to the impulses of a Caligula child. (Of course, going to Cersei wasnt very wise. But it was honorable.)

As for the girls...heh. Heh. Sansa really feels like the Ned Jr. of the Stark Bunch. Only shes becoming much more savvy about how things work in the world of politics. Arya has the "wolf's blood". She is invoking her inner Stark when she rails against the Hound, when she names Chiswyck for Jaqen, when she kills Dareon whom boasted to have deserted the Watch. When Sansa begins playing in the snow in the Eyrie, she inadvertently builds Winterfell. She didnt even think about it, it just came out of her. An exact mini-replica out of snow. Thats Sansa being a Stark. Sansa tearing off Sweetrobin's doll's head and putting it on a little spike is also her being a Stark. Arya burying Needle and recalling everyone in Winterfell. Thats her being a Stark.

When Bran befriends and turns to the Reed children for help, thats him being a Stark. When he gets bitter about not being able to walk, hes being a Stark who bemoans his helplessness. Bran seeing through the eyes of the heart tree of Winterfell is him being a Stark.

Jon upholding his oath to the Night's Watch while among the wildlings is him being a Stark. His tenure as Lord Commander is him being a Stark. His accepting and judgment of Alys Karstark's predicament is Jon being a Stark. His wanting to save "Arya" is him being a Stark.

It is clear that the Stark honor system will only get you killed in Westeros, but I have always found it extremely sad that it is to the extent that both of Ned's daughters have to basically disown themselves from the family. Am I the only one who thinks that one of the tragedies of the books is the fact that Arya and Sansa have to abandon their ways to survive?

Don't be sad, there's a pay off coming. It will get worse before it gets better, they'll be brought to the brink of conflict, but the whole point of having them go lone wolf is so that they can be brought back together.

A long time ago, she remembered her father saying that when the cold wind blows the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. He had it all backwards. Arya, the lone wolf, still lived, but the wolves of the pack had been taken and slain and skinned.

Arya has gone off too soon on this one, the cold winds are only just beginning to blow.

Guys, I propose a new board rule: anyone making claims about the "Stark Ways" must first define what they mean by the term.

Do you mean the harsh Starks of old? Rickard's politicking? Brandon's philandering?

I for one say it´s come time for the Starks to embrace the old ways. My advice to Sansa is to sacrifice littlefinger and his bastard son to the weirwoods.

I actually think it's good that they abandon the ways they were raised to/with.

They are now embracing the more independent "get-shit-done" type of way, instead of the "be a good little girl and sit still" thing.

:agree:

What Ned has gotten his more ore less unique mentality from Jon Arryn? Only because of "As high as honor"?

Well, as others have said, Ned's personality seems different from what we know of his relatives. Since he was raised by Jon Arryn since puberty, I think it's safe to assume to he's more of an exception than a rule.

I for one say it´s come time for the Starks to embrace the old ways. My advice to Sansa is to sacrifice littlefinger and his bastard son to the weirwoods.

:bowdown:

I think both Sansa and Arya are engaging in behaviours Ned wouldn't approve. The thing is, paraphrasing Sansa "My father always told the truth. And he was killed for it" (not exact quote). Paraphrasing Jaqen (in the show, I don't remember if it's in the books): "A girl has no honour" (Arya shrugs)

Well, as others have said, Ned's personality seems different from what we know of his relatives. Since he was raised by Jon Arryn since puberty, I think it's safe to assume to he's more of an exception than a rule.

As for Brandon and Rickard, well... we know that Brandon was very impulsive, but all the negative things about him we hear from Barbrey, iirc, who isn't exactly the most reliable narrator. The fact that Rickard and Brandon both rode south and willingly put themselves in a situation where they would be at the mercy of Aerys, makes them honorable in my eyes. They put what they thought was right above their own safety.

It could be argued that in Brandon's case it was no more than rage, but the emotion alone would have cooled down in the long ride down to KL, and a person with less honor and the same rage would probably pursue a safer method of vengeance.

Well, Brandon's reaction wasn't because of honour, but because he was a hotheaded idiot. As for Rickard, we just don't have enough information. He certainly didn't expect he was going to be burnt to death. Aerys couldn't, according the laws and customs of Westeros, do what he did.

I think that although both of them would have prefered to forget and move on, they can't. This is clearly seen when Arya hides Needle and continues reciting her prayer. Sansa is the one who is taking the best approach in my mind. She is quietly shaddowing LF until she masters the game, and then we eill see her pounce. Arya is a lot more impetuous and isn't considering the consequences of her actions. I would personally be really upset if Arya's arc ends without her having her revenge and returning to Winterfell as Princess or even Queen on the North...? ( :laugh: ) A long shot, but one can hope!

Don't underestimate them!

I would disagree re: Sansa

I think Sansa does one of the best jobs of exemplifying how her father believed a person should live. I know there are debates about whether Ned was a true Stark. But I view Sansa as informed by her father’s morality and reverence.

Sansa’s first chapter in AGOT after Ned is executed:

Sometimes her sleep was leaden and dreamless, and she woke from it more tired than when she had closed her eyes. Yet those were the best times, for when she dreamed, she dreamed of Father. Waking or sleeping, she saw him, saw the gold cloaks fling him down, saw Ser Ilyn striding forward, unsheathing Ice from the scabbard on his back, saw the moment . . . the moment when . . . she had wanted to look away, she had wanted to, her legs had gone out from under her and she had fallen to her knees, yet somehow she could not turn her head, and all the people were screaming and shouting, and her prince had smiled at her, he'd smiled and she'd felt safe, but only for a heartbeat, until he said those words, and her father's legs . . . that was what she remembered, his legs, the way they'd jerked when Ser Ilyn . . . when the sword . .

From the high battlements of the gatehouse, the whole world spread out below them. Sansa could see the Great Sept of Baelor on Visenya's hill, where her father had died. At the other end of the Street of the Sisters stood the fire-blackened ruins of the Dragonpit. To the west, the swollen red sun was half-hidden behind the Gate of the Gods. The salt sea was at her back, and to the south was the fish market and the docks and the swirling torrent of the Blackwater Rush. And to the north . . .

She turned that way, and saw only the city, streets and alleys and hills and bottoms and more streets and more alleys and the stone of distant walls. Yet she knew that beyond them was open country, farms and fields and forests, and beyond that, north and north and north again, stood Winterfell.

"What are you looking at?" Joffrey said. "This is what I wanted you to see, right here."

This is the first chapter after Ned’s death. It comes right after the eerie chapter when Bran and Rickon have the same dream about Ned being in the crypts. The Sansa chapter starts with her dreams, and she dreams of her father’s death just like her brothers in Winterfell did, although her dreams were different because she saw the beheading in KL.

I thought it was very interesting that she watched the entire beheading. I don’t know why I never noticed before, but this time it reminded me of Bran’s first chapter in AGOT:

Bran's bastard brother Jon Snow moved closer. "Keep the pony well in hand," he whispered. "And don't look away. Father will know if you do."

Bran kept his pony well in hand, and did not look away.

His father took off the man's head with a single sure stroke. Blood sprayed out across the snow, as red as surnmerwine. One of the horses reared and had to be restrained to keep from bolting. Bran could not take his eyes off the blood. The snows around the stump drank it eagerly, reddening as he watched.

The head bounced off a thick root and rolled. It came up near Greyjoy's feet. Theon was a lean, dark youth of nineteen who found everything amusing. He laughed, put his boot on the head, and kicked it away.

"Ass," Jon muttered, low enough so Greyjoy did not hear. He put a hand on Bran's shoulder, and Bran looked over at his bastard brother. "You did well," Jon told him solemnly. Jon was fourteen, an old hand at justice.

It seemed colder on the long ride back to Winterfell, though the wind had died by then and the sun was higher in the sky. …

So deep in thought was he that he never heard the rest of the party until his father moved up to ride beside him. "Are you well, Bran?" he asked, not unkindly.

"Yes, Father," Bran told him. He looked up. Wrapped in his furs and leathers, mounted on his great warhorse, his lord father loomed over him like a giant. "Robb says the man died bravely, but Jon says he was afraid."

"What do you think?" his father asked.

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him. "Do you understand why I did it?"

Sansa is very “Ned-like” in this regard. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that she didn’t look away and that Bran watch was a big deal in his introductory scene. Its also interesting to compare Sansa’s view of the execution with Arya’s, Arya looked away despite the fact that she will go on to see and experience more death than her sister Sansa.

I also include the quote about her daydream of Winterfell. The narration her takes on an interesting tone, as though we are in Sansa’s day dream, its almost a third person omniscient rather than limited POV. Given the close proximity to Bran and Rickon’s dreams about the Winterfell crypts, on this read, I viewed Sansa’s day dream almost as a vision of Winterfell. There was almost something supernatural about the escapism of it. Perhaps a small hint that all the Stark children have some sort of warging power? Lady is buried in Winterfell after all.

IMO, by the end of AGOT we should be of the opinion that Sansa has a strong connection to Winterfell and the North, that she is her father’s daughter but hopefully not as foolish as he is.

Then ACOK starts and Sansa’s first chapter is the tournament on Joffrey’s name day. I won’t quote extensively except to note that Sansa saves “Ser Dontos the Red” from Joffrey who is more and more frequently referred to in Sansa’s POV as a “monster.” Perhaps it would be forced to note that Dontos is the last member of an old house, an orphan who the king wanted killed and his color is red. Ned also saved the last member of an old household marked by the color red. So I do see some parallels here.

Sansa II in ACOK opens with the beginning of Sansa’s escape, “Come to the Godswood if you want to go home.” The Ned parallels are obvious. Ned’s escape was always the Godswood, Catelyn tells us as much, “Whenever he took a man’s life, afterwards he would seek the quiet of the Godswood.” Cat I, AGOT. Oddly that chapter starts, “Catelyn had never liked this Godswood” which juxtaposes nicely with “Come to the Godswood if you want to come home.” Godswood, Winterfell, home, it is all the same imagery.

And I note that Sansa is oddly cold in this chapter, "A fire, I think . . . I feel a chill." She was shivering, though the day had been hot.

Again, could she be feeling the cold of Winterfell through Nymeria?

Then Sansa goes to the Godswood:

By the time she reached the godswood, the noises had faded to a faint rattle of steel and a distant shouting. Sansa pulled her cloak tighter. The air was rich with the smells of earth and leaf. Lady would have liked this place, she thought. There was something wild about a godswood; even here, in the heart of the castle at the heart of the city, you could feel the old gods watching with a thousand unseen eyes.

Sansa had favored her mother's gods over her father's. She loved the statues, the pictures in leaded glass, the fragrance of burning incense, the septons with their robes and crystals, the magical play of the rainbows over altars inlaid with mother-of-pearl and onyx and lapis lazuli. Yet she could not deny that the godswood had a certain power too. Especially by night. Help me, she prayed, send me a friend, a true knight to champion me . . .

What is fascinating here is that while Sansa prefers the Seven to the Old Gods, it is the Old Gods she prays to for a friend and she actually gets an answer, though not in the form she expected.

"Thank you, sweet lady." Ser Dontos lurched clumsily to his feet, and brushed earth and leaves from his knees. "Your lord father was as true a man as the realm has ever known, but I stood by and let them slay him. I said nothing, did nothing . . . and yet, when Joffrey would have slain me, you spoke up. Lady, I have never been a hero, no Ryam Redwyne or Barristan the Bold. I've won no tourneys, no renown in war . . . but I was a knight once, and you have helped me remember what that meant. My life is a poor thing, but it is yours." Ser Dontos placed a hand on the gnarled bole of the heart tree. He was shaking, she saw. "I vow, with your father's gods as witness, that I shall send you home."

And Ned is present yet again. He is the alleged inspiration for Dontos to help Sansa and he compares Sansa to Ned in another interesting twist on the traditional princess tale. Also, Dontos swears on the Heart tree, Ned’s favorite part of a godswood.

This is actually the same place that Ned warned Cersei that he had learned of her incest w/ Jaime and urged her to flee KL. Its another tie between Sansa and Ned that should not be overlooked.

In fact, its fair to infer that she spends a lot of time thinking of Winterfell while in the godswood at KL, I pray for Robb's victory and Joffrey's death . . . and for home. For Winterfell. "I pray for an end to the fighting." Sansa III, ACOK

Every one of her chapters thus far has had some reference to Ned or Winterfell thus far. Even the next chapter mentioned Ned but it takes an interesting view of him.

"Brave?" His laugh was half a snarl. "A dog doesn't need courage to chase off rats. They had me thirty to one, and not a man of them dared face me."

She hated the way he talked, always so harsh and angry. "Does it give you joy to scare people?"

"No, it gives me joy to kill people." His mouth twitched. "Wrinkle up your face all you like, but spare me this false piety. You were a high lord's get. Don't tell me Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell never killed a man."

"That was his duty. He never liked it."

"Is that what he told you?" Clegane laughed again. "Your father lied. Killing is the sweetest thing there is." He drew his longsword. "Here's your truth. Your precious father found that out on Baelor's steps. Lord of Winterfell, Hand of the King, Warden of the North, the mighty Eddard Stark, of a line eight thousand years old... but Ilyn Payne's blade went through his neck all the same, didn't it? Do you remember the dance he did when his head came off his shoulders?"

Sansa hugged herself, suddenly cold. "Why are you always so hateful? I was thanking you..."

Two items worth mentioning, Ned was a killer like the Hound who has become a pseudo-father figure to Sansa. Ned was the best leader in Robert’s Rebellion and was responsible for thousands of deaths. Aerys killed Brandon and Rickard and Rhaegar “kidnapped” Lyanna. I don’t doubt Ned enjoyed some of those killings.

Second, the Hound mentions Ned’s twitching legs, the exact detail that horrified Sansa in AGOT and haunted her dreams. The Hound really has an uncanny ability to read Sansa.

Sansa even thinks of her father before the blackwater:

Sansa knew most of the hymns, and followed along on those she did not know as best she could. She sang along with grizzled old serving men and anxious young wives, with serving girls and soldiers, cooks and falconers, knights and knaves, squires and spit boys and nursing mothers. She sang with those inside the castle walls and those without, sang with all the city. She sang for mercy, for the living and the dead alike, for Bran and Rickon and Robb, for her sister Arya and her bastard brother Jon Snow, away off on the Wall. She sang for her mother and her father, for her grandfather Lord Hoster and her uncle Edmure Tully, for her friend Jeyne Poole, for old drunken King Robert, for Septa Mordane and Ser Dontos and Jory Cassel and Maester Luwin, for all the brave knights and soldiers who would die today, and for the children and the wives who would mourn them, and finally, toward the end, she even sang for Tyrion the Imp and for the Hound. He is no true knight but he saved me all the same, she told the Mother. Save him if you can, and gentle the rage inside him.

And during it in her next chapter:

"For Stannis. Or your brother, it's all the same. Why else seek your father's gods? You're praying for our defeat. What would you call that, if not treason?"

Others have taken note of Sansa being much like her father. Cersei could have used the term northern gods or your gods, but instead went with Father’s gods. Later during the battle, Sansa thinks of Lady who is buried beneath Winterfell once again:

Sansa backed away from the window, retreating toward the safety of her bed. I'll go to sleep, she told herself, and when I wake it will be a new day, and the sky will be blue again. The fighting will be done and someone will tell me whether I'm to live or die. "Lady," she whimpered softly, wondering if she would meet her wolf again when she was dead.

Winterfell gets mentioned in her final chapter in ACOK as well, but it is less relevant:.

The High Septon stepped forward. "Your Grace, the gods hold bethrothal solemn, but your father, King Robert of blessed memory, made this pact before the Starks of Winterfell had revealed their falseness. Their crimes against the realm have freed you from any promise you might have made. So far as the Faith is concerned, there is no valid marriage contract 'twixt you and Sansa Stark."

Then her arc in ACOK ends with a thought of home:

"It's very lovely," Sansa said, thinking, It is a ship I need, not a net for my hair.

"Lovelier than you know, sweet child. It's magic, you see. It's justice you hold. It's vengeance for your father." Dontos leaned close and kissed her again. "It's home."

In ASOS, Sansa's father’s lessons are not forgotten. Its his memory that inspires Sansa to tell the Tyrells the truth about Joffrey:

"My father always told the truth." Sansa spoke quietly, but even so, it was hard to get the words out.

"Lord Eddard, yes, he had that reputation, but they named him traitor and took his head off even so." The old woman's eyes bore into her, sharp and bright as the points of swords.

"Joffrey," Sansa said. "Joffrey did that. He promised me he would be merciful, and cut my father's head off. He said that was mercy, and he took me up on the walls and made me look at it. The head. He wanted me to weep, but . . . " She stopped abruptly, and covered her mouth. I've said too much, oh gods be good, they'll know, they'll hear, someone will tell on me.

"Go on." It was Margaery who urged. Joffrey's own queen-to-be. Sansa did not know how much she had heard.

"I can't." What if she tells him, what if she tells? He'll kill me for certain then, or give me to Ser Ilyn. "I never meant . . . my father was a traitor, my brother as well, I have the traitor's blood, please, don't make me say more."

"Calm yourself, child," the Queen of Thorns commanded.

"She's terrified, Grandmother, just look at her."

The old woman called to Butterbumps. "Fool! Give us a song. A long one, I should think. 'The Bear and the Maiden Fair' will do nicely."

But then Sansa tells Dontos about the Tyrell plan, forgoes her plans to return to Winterfell and it all gets mucked up. She doesn't realize the importance of her claim until her wedding to Tyrion:

Brave. Sansa took a deep breath. I am a Stark, yes, I can be brave. They were all looking at her, the way they had looked at her that day in the yard when Ser Boros Blount had torn her clothes off. It had been the Imp who saved her from a beating that day, the same man who was waiting for her now. He is not so bad as the rest of them, she told herself. "I'll go."

Cersei smiled. "I knew you would."

Afterward, she could not remember leaving the room or descending the steps or crossing the yard. It seemed to take all her attention just to put one foot down in front of the other. Ser Meryn and Ser Osmund walked beside her, in cloaks as pale as her own, lacking only the pearls and the direwolf that had been her father's. Joffrey himself was waiting for her on the steps of the castle sept. The king was resplendent in crimson and gold, his crown on his head. "I'm your father today," he announced.

"You're not," she flared. "You'll never be."

His face darkened. "I am. I'm your father, and I can marry you to whoever I like. [\spoiler]

I had hoped to get further in this response, but a fantasy basketball draft awaits!

Archived