Is Arya a realistic character?

Tessarion

I don't think she's unrealistic--a privileged tomboy in a difficult society thrown onto her own devices. Her boldness and her cleverness plus the help she gets from mentors along the way only enhance her abilities. As others have said here, some of the plot surrounding her is unrealistic, but most of her responses and actions are reasonable given her character and the circumstances.

Arya helped several kids survive for days in the wilderness, and later after leaving the Hound just casually shows up 5 days later at the Saltpans, now yes, she was by a river. I am guessing maybe 5% of people on these boards could survive that long in a war torn wilderness that easily. See Dany for how most of us would survive and because we don't have Dragons hunting for us, die.

So ya, Arya is just casually awesome.

I'd say so, I mean setting aside the obvious suspension of belief with faceless men etc what has Arya done that's unrealistic, she's not really done anything that's stupid I can remember. If you mean her thought processes then no, she's a well rounded and realistic little girl.

i always think arya is hard to believe while i'm reading the story. then i pick up a newspaper and read about children soldiers doing far worse things than arya and being trained with automatic weapons and i start to think she might be the one that reflects "reality" the most in the whole book.

I agree with this guy, but ask yourselves, what's wrong with this? The plot armor is strong with her, but she is damn entertaining.

Absolutely nothing. :)

Anyway, Arya's character development is pretty realistic. She goes from plucky tomboy to child soldier and all the horrors that go along with it. Loss of identity, loss of family, moral brutality, etc.

What killing spree? Other than JH's three, four hits, she killed the Stable boy, guard at Harenhal, Mummer's squire, Dareon and the old man in Braavos. That's 5 people unless this list is missing others. That doesn't seem like many given the amount of danger she was in for so long. What am I missing?

She's killed more when she was with Yoren.

I wasn't saying that she went on a killing spree before though only that most of her killing was done before she got to the FM.

The KM had to explain to her that they are not butchers who go slaughtering everyone in their way. Arya wanting to kill someone just for being an obstacle isn't new behavior. She's done it before. But killing everyone like that is more befitting of a Lannister henchman and not a FM. Even historical RL assassins did not prey on civilians like that. They went for the targets only.

Arya wanting to kill for flimsy reasons isn't new either. One example is her wanting to kill that lady who cheated her in ASoS. She decides against it only because she can't get away with it not that her death was or wasn't justifiable. For a FM contract since there's sacrifice involved that means a person really wanted the person dead. The death means a lot to them. I'd say in their own way the FM do value life. Their codes of conduct are just far outside the normal scope. Basically, she shouldn't be so eager to kill and it can lower her body count if she isn't.

She's killed more when she was with Yoren.

I wasn't saying that she went on a killing spree before though only that most of her killing was done before she got to the FM.

The KM had to explain to her that they are not butchers who go slaughtering everyone in their way. Arya wanting to kill someone just for being an obstacle isn't new behavior. She's done it before. But killing everyone like that is more befitting of a Lannister henchman and not a FM. Even historical RL assassins did not prey on civilians like that. They went for the targets only.

Arya wanting to kill for flimsy reasons isn't new either. One example is her wanting to kill that lady who cheated her in ASoS. She decides against it only because she can't get away with it not that her death was or wasn't justifiable. For a FM contract since there's sacrifice involved that means a person really wanted the person dead. The death means a lot to them. I'd say in their own way the FM do value life. Their codes of conduct are just far outside the normal scope. Basically, she shouldn't be so eager to kill and it can lower her body count if she isn't.

The only deaths (that I recall) she was involved with while with Yoren was the attack on them from Lorch's soldiers at that tower. That was clear self defense even if you don't think the Stable Boy & the Mummers Squire were.

A simpler explanation for her killing 3 people before reaching Braavos and only 2 while being with the FM is that she wasn't in the middle of a war and she wasn't running for her life while staying at The House of B & W.

I do agree that her perception on killing has become tainted by the horrors she witnessed for 2 years from KL to Saltpans, but a lack of parental guidance is the more likely cause. Another way to look at the Kindly Man's lecture is that he simply provided the guidance she need rather than indoctrinating her into some special value system. Reinforcing the value of human life to a troubled 12 year old is hardly a response uniquely reserved for the FM.

The only deaths (that I recall) she was involved with while with Yoren was the attack on them from Lorch's soldiers at that tower. That was clear self defense even if you don't think the Stable Boy & the Mummers Squire were.

A simpler explanation for her killing 3 people before reaching Braavos and only 2 while being with the FM is that she wasn't in the middle of a war and she wasn't running for her life while staying at The House of B & W.

I do agree that her perception on killing has become tainted by the horrors she witnessed for 2 years from KL to Saltpans, but a lack of parental guidance is the more likely cause. Another way to look at the Kindly Man's lecture is that he simply provided the guidance she need rather than indoctrinating her into some special value system. Reinforcing the value of human life to a troubled 12 year old is hardly a response uniquely reserved for the FM.

She killed more than 3 and her first non self defense kill was in ACoK. Her most violent kill was also before the FM but I didn't mention the Tickler because that kill was OOC. Her kills would have been more if like I said in those other instances she felt that she could get away with it.

She knew that her parents wouldn't approve of her actions. One of the few times she felt remorse she reflects on that fact. I think they are trying to indoctrinate her but she's being difficult. However, there are things she can learn from their lessons. Self control and being more specific on who she kills. If she listens to them she can let go of that desire she had in AFFC to kill all those irrelevant Freys. Slaughtering a house is more Tywin behavior and she doesn't have the means for it. She'd likely end up dead. While she's had previous thoughts of mass murder she's never orchestrated it herself. The FM teachings are incompatible with such behavior.

She killed more than 3 and her first non self defense kill was in ACoK. Her most violent kill was also before the FM but I didn't mention the Tickler because that kill was OOC. Her kills would have been more if like I said in those other instances she felt that she could get away with it.

She knew that her parents wouldn't approve of her actions. One of the few times she felt remorse she reflects on that fact. I think they are trying to indoctrinate her but she's being difficult. However, there are things she can learn from their lessons. Self control and being more specific on who she kills. If she listens to them she can let go of that desire she had in AFFC to kill all those irrelevant Freys. Slaughtering a house is more Tywin behavior and she doesn't have the means for it. She'd likely end up dead. While she's had previous thoughts of mass murder she's never orchestrated it herself. The FM teachings are incompatible with such behavior.

There is one I forgot. The tickler. So now we have 6 actual kills besides the attack on the tower & JH hits, and at least 3 of them are pure self defense; Stable Boy, Mummer's Squire & Tickler. The guard at Harenhal was killed to escape being left with the Bloody Mummers. That leaves Dareon (for deserting NW) & the old man (FM hit) in Braavos. All 6 of these deaths were for very specific reasons.

Is it just her emotional thoughts about the RW, the woman that cheated her, the old man's guard & her prayer list that cause you to think she may go on a killing spree w/o regard for human life if the FM don't curb her? If this is the case, I have a hard time seeing the basis for it.

There is one I forgot. The tickler. So now we have 6 actual kills besides the attack on the tower & JH hits, and at least 3 of them are pure self defense; Stable Boy, Mummer's Squire & Tickler. The guard at Harenhal was killed to escape being left with the Bloody Mummers. That leaves Dareon (for deserting NW) & the old man (FM hit) in Braavos. All 6 of these deaths were for very specific reasons.

Is it just her emotional thoughts about the RW, the woman that cheated her, the old man's guard & her prayer list that cause you to think she may go on a killing spree w/o regard for human life if the FM don't curb her? If this is the case, I have a hard time seeing the basis for it.

Most kills have a motive.

The woman who cheated her is not an isolated incident. I just used that as an example. She's had thoughts like that several times. It's just due to the circumstances she wasn't able to act on those thoughts.

The killing spree was in response to her wanting to kill the guards for no legitimate reason. That is senseless killing that she had to be stopped from doing. The KM said she shouldn't behave that way or continue to have such thoughts.

She's had thoughts of mass murder-one day I will find them and I will kill them all. That's what many of the fandom hopes she does. She leaves the FM so she can get her revenge. Revenge involves mass murder of Freys, killing Lannisters, Boltons, and the ones on her list.

It'll be interesting to see how the FM codes of conduct hold up in the TWOW. If Jaqen is a legit FM than that might mean that the FM have plenty of leeway in choosing how they accomplish their mission. For instance Jaqen has killed multiple men, including Pate, in order to achieve his mission (and to satisfy his debt to Arya).

I agree that FM teachings will at least make Arya less impulsive but I wonder just how sacred their code of conduct is.

It'll be interesting to see how the FM codes of conduct hold up in the TWOW. If Jaqen is a legit FM than that might mean that the FM have plenty of leeway in choosing how they accomplish their mission. For instance Jaqen has killed multiple men, including Pate, in order to achieve his mission (and to satisfy his debt to Arya).

I agree that FM teachings will at least make Arya less impulsive but I wonder just how sacred their code of conduct is.

Yes, Jaqen was a bit different but then again he wasn't on a FM mission when he was with Arya. Like with the Weasel soup he used physical prowess and the FM try to avoid that since they favor natural looking deaths for example the killing of Balon Greyjoy. Jaqen was also still specific. He's not going to kill everyone who is a threat to Arya. He said 3 names and that's it. Through her cunning Arya was able to manipulate the third name.

Jaqen could have been told to kill one to get the face so he can infiltrate and gather needed information.

Most kills have a motive.

The woman who cheated her is not an isolated incident. I just used that as an example. She's had thoughts like that several times. It's just due to the circumstances she wasn't able to act on those thoughts.

The killing spree was in response to her wanting to kill the guards for no legitimate reason. That is senseless killing that she had to be stopped from doing. The KM said she shouldn't behave that way or continue to have such thoughts.

She's had thoughts of mass murder-one day I will find them and I will kill them all. That's what many of the fandom hopes she does. She leaves the FM so she can get her revenge. Revenge involves mass murder of Freys, killing Lannisters, Boltons, and the ones on her list.

First of all, I don't see Arya fulfilling any of her revenge wishes, and she would have to mount a big dragon and be a one-girl army to kill all Freys, Lannisters & Boltons. That's just crackpot.

Most kills have motives, and some have really really good ones. The only morally questionable ones I see are the 2 in Braavos (even if she had sensible reasons).

You say it was due to circumstances she didn't act on her thoughts to kill: I say it was due to circumstances she even thinks about it. I don't really see the validity of holding Arya responsible for senseless killings she doesn't actually commit. It's not like the KM or any one else tackled her to the ground just before she plunged neddle into someone. And if she really had as strong of a desire to kill as you suggest, then she would have gladly put Sandor out of his misery.

I think Arya is someone estramely dangerous ... but still a child.

Is it realistic to say she can outfight full-grown knights? No. Certainly not on their terms, without the element of surprise.

Is it realistic to say she is simply ordinary? No. The fact that she has managed to kill adults at all at her age is actually quite impressive.

The way I see it, she's shown that she's at the 99th percentile of lethality as far as children her age go. But not compared to adults. Imagine a child who is trained in the martial arts at roughly her age. Skilled as one might be, it would be a poor idea to test them against a full-grown adult who's also trained to fight. A sustained stand-up fight would be the worst way the child could fight them. A slightly dangerous child might take them on, but a really dangerous one would know not to fight on terms where their foe has all the advantages.

In comparison with some of the other "hard-ass" characters, they were not ahead of her at that age. A Bolton guard here, a Night's Watch deserter there.... those men are probably average (low-level) soldiers, not helpless schmucks, but not exactly hard men. Even someone who's a promising squire or a newly-made knight (Edric Dayne or Lancel Lannister) would likely be more than she could handle by herself at 8-10 years old. Forget about her taking on someone like Bronn or The Hound at this age.

What we know of Arya is this:
She has shown a remarkable amount of intelligence, nerve and leadership already. She is ferocious, but has also shown quite a lot of battle discipline. This is very promising as "raw material" to work with.

She has been trained by Syrio Forel, and I'd day she quickly learned what he taught her, and had a voracious appetite for it; definitely a star student. As well, she has managed to learn in unstructured environments. Finally we get to those such as Jaqen or the Kindly Man, and they clearly see her potential, or else she would not get the chances she does.

The overall is of someone who is a "natural" at the craft of killing. But this is still potential ability, because even as good as she has been thus far, it would take several more years of work before she could be counted among the elite killers of the world.

In terms of being unrealistic, I say this: how else did all those other elite killers get started? How were they at the same age? This is the comparison to make.

And yet, Arya is still a child for all that.

Archived