[Spoilers] True Detective IV - There's a Shadow in You, Ginger

Relic

From the last thread - Nephrite said:

Ginger telling his story to the other bikers would get him killed. He's responsible for them losing their meth cook which is their source of income. That Miles fellow they mention surely wouldn't be happy about that.

"Hey, guys. So I was greedy, went behind the boss' back, got 2 of our friends killed in a race riot, and, oh, yeah, I told the police where our meth cook is. And now he's dead in a highly publicized case involving raping children. Whatcha ya'all been doin'?"

The fucker's only chance is to do what Chole did in his made-up story and head for Mexico, find a nice lady that owns a tattoo place in Tijuana and spend the rest of his freckles-enslaved life drinking Mexican beer and watching soccer. Or pretend he was asleep for a week.

Yeah, that's certainly a possibility but, of course, there are other possibilities as well. Like, just as an example, instead of telling the whole truth to the Iron Crusaders (which, yes, would get him killed) he could try to blame everything on Crash (who's left to dispute whatever he says?) He could just say Crash showed back up saying it would be a piece of cake to hit some stash house so he went along with what he thought would be an easy score. Then when the gang is pissed off at him just because everything went sideways and he's the only one still alive to take it out on he could just try to go after the traitor Crash to appease them. If he's successful then maybe everything is forgiven, etc. They seem to be big into tests of loyalty like that ;)

As I've said, it's all just speculation right now but I do look at Ginger as being a huge loose end. I don't really care how it's resolved but, if it isn't, I think it would be a somewhat large oversight in an otherwise fantastic show.

Yeah, that's certainly a possibility but, of course, there are other possibilities as well. Like, just as an example, instead of telling the whole truth to the Iron Crusaders (which, yes, would get him killed) he could try to blame everything on Crash (who's left to dispute whatever he says?) He could just say Crash showed back up saying it would be a piece of cake to hit some stash house so he went along with what he thought would be an easy score. Then when the gang is pissed off at him just because everything went sideways and he's the only one still alive to take it out on he could just try to go after the traitor Crash to appease them. If he's successful then maybe everything is forgiven, etc. They seem to be big into tests of loyalty like that ;)

As I've said, it's all just speculation right now but I do look at Ginger as being a huge loose end. I don't really care how it's resolved but, if it isn't, I think it would be a somewhat large oversight in an otherwise fantastic show.

This seems the most likely action - Ginger struck me as being decently placed in the hierarchy, so his word may carry enough weight to move the gang in a particular direction.

If he could concoct a believable enough lie, he could tip Miles into calling a hunt (since he already doesn't like 'Crash').

That story falls to pieces the second Crash turns out to be a super-cop from Louisiana. They'll know it's bullshiting of the highest order cause it would be entrapment on Cohle's part.

And going after Cohle would never happen. Cause going after cops is dumb. Those guys are like legalized biker gang. You hit one of their own, they'll be fucking you till Kingdom Come. Ginger is in a catch 22 situation. He's fucked either way. If Cohle killed him it would be out of mercy.

Great. Now I'll be coerced to decide whether or not I'm on "Team Ginger."

Thanks, Obama.

Oh, I know you're Team Ginger all the way. Like me, you don't necessarily want Ginger dead but you also don't want him causing any trouble for Rust and Marty. They have enough to deal with already ;)

On another topic, the accusation of bad photo-shopping has come up with the altered class photo. Is it just me or did anyone else think the photo of Rust at the crime scene looked photo-shopped as well?

That story falls to pieces the second Crash turns out to be a super-cop from Louisiana. They'll know it's bullshiting of the highest order cause it would be entrapment on Cohle's part.

And going after Cohle would never happen. Cause going after cops is dumb. Those guys are like legalized biker gang. You hit one of their own, they'll be fucking you till Kingdom Come. Ginger is in a catch 22 situation. He's fucked either way. If Cohle killed him it would be out of mercy.

It was just one example. There are other possibilities that you or I won't think of but I hope NP does. And you and I seem to be in complete agreement. I don't necessarily want to believe Rust would just kill Ginger but it also seems to be the best solution to tying up that "loose end" :dunno:

should change the thread title to "Where is Ginger?"

Great. Now I'll be coerced to decide whether or not I'm on "Team Ginger."

Thanks, Obama.

Hahahaha.

It's interesting in Ep 3 Ladeux is painted as this horror, but in Ep 5 he ends up coming pretty quietly. NP said the gas mask was a representation of the beak masks of the old plague doctors.

I wonder if he's read Basso's The Beak Doctor, which is recognized in the Weird genre that encompasses Lovecraft. It's a long rumination on death encountered during a plague but I can't think of any clues it offers.

Oh, I know you're Team Ginger all the way. Like me, you don't necessarily want Ginger dead but you also don't want him causing any trouble for Rust and Marty. They have enough to deal with already ;)

On another topic, the accusation of bad photo-shopping has come up with the altered class photo. Is it just me or did anyone else think the photo of Rust at the crime scene looked photo-shopped as well?

I don't think so. At best it looked like they brightened him up so you can notice him more easily, but it was shot in a park with a lot of light and shadows, so it makes sense that he could be brighter than other people since he's in the back nearer the clearing.

It was just one example.

Ginger ain't smart enough to come up with a good story. This is the guy that thought dressing up as cops but still rock dwarf beards up to the navel was an adequate disguise. Can cops even have facial hair? I read that it was a mistake in "Collateral" when a cop had a stache. That's California, though.

There are other possibilities that you or I won't think of but I hope NP does. And you and I seem to be in complete agreement. I don't necessarily want to believe Rust would just kill Ginger but it also seems to be the best solution to tying up that "loose end" :dunno:

Ginger's gone, man. We are all gonna miss his intense eyes that just pierce into your soul and beyond. At best he's in my Mexico scenario living it large (so to speak) with Pedrita (definitely large) working part time as a local attraction in a circus as a red-headed freak.

Imma thinkin that the victims are volunteers. meaning that they know what is going to happen to them and that they willingly go.

the devil catchers are put there to stop the endless repetitive cycle of them returning to this life.

Cohle repeatedly mentions that this place is a gutter and that we re-cycle after death back into the same shitty life ( according to Cohle ) that we had previously.

perhaps the devil catchers are to prevent the devils from tossing them back into the recycler.

NP has written into the script - Cohle's meditation on what it would be like to contemplate your own crucifixion , going willingly to your death for some higher purpose .

So that is either foreshadowing for the motivation for himself , the victims, characterization of Cohle, or for some other reason.

or another misdirection , a clue that leads nowhere.

for those people that had captions :

This was in episode 2.

Could someone tell me what Carla ( black stars on her neck ) said about Dora in this scene at the garage :

Marty and Rust are talking to her, she's having a soda.

"she always had her mom's place but I thought that she got into something...

you know... like Gainmen...again "

I heard Gainmen.

anyone hear what she said? how about captions?

'Gaming' - I understood that to be a euphemism for turning tricks as a hooker.

Since Carla is shown having the black stars on her neck, she may be considered somewhat involved with " whatever" or at least knowledgeable about parts of "whatever".

What do you think that Carla is doing? IN general but specifically, she's at that garage ( I'm not sure what it is so I'll call it a garage )- it doesn't seem like there's a lot of business there and there's 5 guys sitting on the porch- just passing the time.

NP is putting forward that there is a lot of unemployment or at least people having nothing better to do that sit around watching dust pile up.

NP has put a rather bleak outlook on some of those parishes in/around that area. Its a place where the 'religious hucksters " actively seek out - I caught that a few of these people were speaking to some residents in the front yards.

someone asked " when did MArty tell Lisa about the serial killer being responsible for the dora lange murder.?"

it was in episode 2. I think it was the cake and eat it too speech. It definitely was the scene where MArty sticks his face in Lisa's ass.

It looks like men are in power and women and children are the sacrifices. I doubt that Carla had any participation in anything.

Ginger would not be considered a reliable witness on behalf of the state if he were to ask for immunity in exchange of information. What information does he have to provide the state/cops exactly? As to the biker gang, I'm sure word has spread that the event at the housing project went bad and Crash and Ginger went missing. Plus the drug dealers in the project know that the biker gang created the whole thing. I'm thinking that those two factions are taking care of each other right now and that GInger is the least of their problems. They probably assume that Ginger is dead too.

Archived