College Basketball 2014: Blue Blooded Court Storming Edition

Rhom

Just going by what I've seen recently, and as much as it pains me to say this, I really feel like we could be looking at a mentor/protege match up of UofL v. Florida if the committee puts them on opposite sides of the bracket.

That game happened. Yep.i

Saw none of it last night and no highlights today, just the final score. Did Duke get a gift, UNC crap the bed, or is your comment just disappointment that UNC lost? Which, I'd get, just don't know the context.

And in more minor news....UHA gets into the America East semifinals tonight! After taking out UMBC by 27 they get the 2nd seed Stony Brook tonight and a shot in the AE final!

Murray lost in the OVC semi-finals and there's a better than decent chance that UK has won their last game of the season.

You'll have to pardon me if I'm not my usual chipper March self. :tantrum:

Murray lost in the OVC semi-finals and there's a better than decent chance that UK has won their last game of the season.

You'll have to pardon me if I'm not my usual chipper March self. :tantrum:

The way y'all have pwnt us this year, you've got a good shot of winning at least one game in the SECT provided we can get past Vandy. No other team we played this year exposed our lack of ability to defend athletic bigs the way UK did.

So, the question going into championship week for me is who gets one seeds. Florida and Wichita St have two spots wrapped up. Arizona will probably get one, though I'm not sold on them being a lock yet. The forth spot is up for grabs though, with Syracuse, Villanova, Virginia, and Wisconsin all having strong arguments in their favor. My feeling is that if either Wisconsin or Virginia win their respective tourneys, or even make it to the championship game, that either could be bumped into a top spot. If both do, then Arizona could end up a 2.

I love this time of year.

So, the question going into championship week for me is who gets one seeds. Florida and Wichita St have two spots wrapped up. Arizona will probably get one, though I'm not sold on them being a lock yet. The forth spot is up for grabs though, with Syracuse, Villanova, Virginia, and Wisconsin all having strong arguments in their favor. My feeling is that if either Wisconsin or Virginia win their respective tourneys, or even make it to the championship game, that either could be bumped into a top spot. If both do, then Arizona could end up a 2.

You have also forgotten an important factor... the time the conference championship game is played.

I haven't looked at when the ACC or Big Ten play their games; but I know for example that the SEC game is played too late for the selection committee to weigh the results in their seedings. Most of the time, all you have to do is just make it to the game to get recognized.

This years tourney looks to be amazing given how the season has gone.

If Cuse or VA come out as the champs of the ACC tourney they get a #1 seed. If Duke or UNC wins & Villanova goes further in theirs, Nova gets it.

But if they beat Fordham tomorrow night, and Massachusetts loses to St. Louis on Sunday (both of which are extremely likely), they'll get the #4 spot in the A-10 tournament, earning them a first-round bye. They do well enough in the A-10 one, maybe they can still get to a #7 slot in the big one.

And, lo did this come to pass exactly. And with St. Joseph's losing as well, GW actually grabbed the #3 seed in the A-10 tournament (not that that matters nearly as much the gap between #5 and #4). The Fordham game was far closer than it should've been though, which is not thrilling. On the other hand, number two scoring option, Kethan Savage, is finally coming back next game after having been out with a broken foot since mid-January. The team started the season 15-3 with him playing (went 7-4 without him), so hopefully he'll be a big boost.

As for Buffalo, I didn't realize it but being a division winner doesn't guarantee a top spot in the MAC tournament, its overall best conference records; so Buffalo's actually the #3 seed, not the #2. On the plus side, its Buffalo's first ever MAC East championship (and only a couple years after its first ever MAC East football championship; things are on the up!), so its still nice. Although, it does mean only getting a double-bye in the MAC tournament rather than a triple-bye. I don't see them backing their first ever dance this year, but I hope they can at least get an NIT invitation; which is still a pretty big accomplishment for them.

Here's an interesting stat from a couple years ago that has largely held true.

That being said, the above graph shows an interesting trend: the teams that are winning the tournament lately have lower season winning percentages than in years past. In fact, no team with fewer than three - count 'em, three - losses have won the tournament for the last eleven years:

Now, this graph was put together prior to Kentucky's tourney win in 2012 which broke the trend; but the overall trend was really interesting to see.

This years tourney looks to be amazing given how the season has gone.

If Cuse or VA come out as the champs of the ACC tourney they get a #1 seed. If Duke or UNC wins & Villanova goes further in theirs, Nova gets it.

I may be being a bit biased but I wouldn't discount Wisconsin's chances of getting that last 1 seed. Their 6th in RPI, 3rd in SOS, and have wins against Sec regular season champ Florida, ACC regular season champ Virginia, and B10 regular season champ Michigan. Its an outside shot but I think its a real one. If not for a stretch where they last 5 of 6 they would have the best resume in the country. They will need to take care of business and get help but its still possible. If the B10 championship game is Sunday afternoon, as it has been in past years past, winning it won't matter, but they need to get to it. If Syracuse, Villanova, and Virginia don't have good tourneys I think the Badgers could well move up.

I may be being a bit biased but I wouldn't discount Wisconsin's chances of getting that last 1 seed. Their 6th in RPI, 3rd in SOS, and have wins against Sec regular season champ Florida, ACC regular season champ Virginia, and B10 regular season champ Michigan. Its an outside shot but I think its a real one. If not for a stretch where they last 5 of 6 they would have the best resume in the country. They will need to take care of business and get help but its still possible. If the B10 championship game is Sunday afternoon, as it has been in past years past, winning it won't matter, but they need to get to it. If Syracuse, Villanova, and Virginia don't have good tourneys I think the Badgers could well move up.

They definitely could move up - right now I'm just looking at it that they aren't ranked in the top 10, so would need some big help to get past an East coast bias to the ACC winner

In other news, looks like Embiid is out for the Big12 tourney. Not seeing anything saying if this is just precautionary to rest him for the NCAAs or if he is that amount of pain that he can't play. If he isn't around, Kansas isn't as scary as an Embiid/Wiggins/Ellis front line in March would be.

They definitely could move up - right now I'm just looking at it that they aren't ranked in the top 10, so would need some big help to get past an East coast bias to the ACC winner

In other news, looks like Embiid is out for the Big12 tourney. Not seeing anything saying if this is just precautionary to rest him for the NCAAs or if he is that amount of pain that he can't play. If he isn't around, Kansas isn't as scary as an Embiid/Wiggins/Ellis front line in March would be.

Heard stress fracture in spine. He won't be 100% for tourney. It should go without saying that losing the potential top pick in this draft would be a big loss.

Speaking of... As an NBA team, no way I take a flyer on a big man with back problems. Ask Triskele how that works. :lol:

Heard stress fracture in spine. He won't be 100% for tourney. It should go without saying that losing the potential top pick in this draft would be a big loss.

Speaking of... As an NBA team, no way I take a flyer on a big man with back problems. Ask Triskele how that works. :lol:

Yeah...given what has happened with him - me sitting in the cheap seats - I could see him reshirting next year to get full recovery, work on strength, flexibility, etc so that it does minimize the issue.

So it's looking like I have a very good chance at getting a free ticket to all four Memphis Regional games on the 27th and 29th. Can't wait to see how that part of the bracket shapes up. :)

That's cool, that'll be fun.

Said this basically each March for the last few years...when I hit MegaMillions tonight, I am flying a group of people to some central location with many TV's and much food to actually enjoy the games with the non believers...you know, REG, Rhom, MFC, etc etc Would be interesting to see the games with all you folk.

That's cool, that'll be fun.

Said this basically each March for the last few years...when I hit MegaMillions tonight, I am flying a group of people to some central location with many TV's and much food to actually enjoy the games with the non believers...you know, REG, Rhom, MFC, etc etc Would be interesting to see the games with all you folk.

I'm there.

I'm generally a PowerBall player, but the MegaMillions is getting up there... :lol:

Yeah...given what has happened with him - me sitting in the cheap seats - I could see him reshirting next year to get full recovery, work on strength, flexibility, etc so that it does minimize the issue.

Redshirting?

Only if you mean in the Nerlens Noel sense of the term. Someone will draft him high in the first round and then yes... depending on how much they desire to tank like Philly, they may "redshirt" him.

Redshirting?

Only if you mean in the Nerlens Noel sense of the term. Someone will draft him high in the first round and then yes... depending on how much they desire to tank like Philly, they may "redshirt" him.

No, I'm being old about this - actually thinking sit out next year at KU so he can rehab the whole thing and then prove he can play so someone doesn't waste a (coughOdencough) pick on him.

I know it's not realistic, the kid should leave, get paid and then let the team take the chance. He's young, he'll recover....

Archived