GOODKIND VIII: It's Not Terrorism If We Do It!

Werthead

Yeah, he could've gone with something like "pretty-picture-drawer-that-is-not-a-drawer-of-non-magical-pictures" or "her paintbrushing doohickey".

The cliched phrases serve as a subtext, to let the reader know that TG is aware of all the cliched crap that is going on in the storyline, because TG is not a fantasy writer, and he is letting you know that all of the fantasy cliches are not cliches in his speculative fiction world.

He's blowing your mind away with both his criticism of fantasy (which is "dying", I believe is what TG has said), and his elevation of his own position as a speculative fiction writer. He's the best writer ever, he's just showing you the Evil of your ways through the Truth in his words. Ha ha!

Is there some secret meaning to the word "art"?

Because why on earth would you want to have an artist to protect the crown?

And why does Violet seem to hesitate: "my...art lessons" (sounded a bit like "we prayed together" to me)

or am I reading too much into this?

Great. Not only is Violet with a tongue again, it could be implied she's having lesbian relations with Six. :sick:

I was a little lost at the quote. Who killed who, which queen was which. All I knew was Violet has a tongue again, and the scene contained some of the best how not to use cliches examples in the realm of writing. :mellow:

And what has art got to do with anything this time?

I should have given a better explanation. If you'll recall from WFR, the court artist James "drew a spell" around Richard. This basically involved drawing a stick person holding a sword with "truth" written on it. He then drew a circle around the person and had it slowly constrict, forcing the real Richard into the cave to trap him. This is magic art you see. Richard was able to kill James by taking away his sketch pad, erasing the sword of truth, and one of the stick figures hands (did I mention James only had one hand?). Yeah, so the magic turned on James and I think Richard made the circle on the sketch pad so tight that it killed James, or something stupid like that. So, anyway, Violet has this talent as well, and the pictures on the wall of the cave were used to kill the people who were plotting against her. I think. I didn't get any sense of lesbianism in that scene, just that Six is teaching Violent how to do nasty things with her "artistic" ability, thats why she's so smug and conspiratorial about it.

Jeez, sometimes I have to explain everything... :D

See, what Yeardi wants us to realize is that while Richard's statue of Manliness/Womanliness was used to free people from Lies and show them the Truth, art is used by non-Richard people to enslave the masses and take away their power from them.

So, unless "art" is created by someone good, and it uplifts the whole population and gives it freedom, it is a vile, sorcerous act of "artistry". Artists who do not know the Truth must have much more than their jaws kicked in, because they might be healed by a witch. No, this is Yeardi calling for not just criticism and ostracizing of all artists that are not him, but for the eventual culling of the lying commie artists in our culture.

Again, all you have to do is think WWTGD?, and these answers become clear to you.

Having a weapon, a sword, in his hand, instantly flooded Richard with memories, forms, and skills he had spent long hours learning. The lessons might have in part come from otherworldly sources, but the knowledge was not magic. It was the experience of countless Seekers before Richard. Even though he didn’t have that weapon with him, he still had that knowledge. […]

Isn't this a direct contradiction. He first says he spent "long hours" to learn how to use a sword (what, like 2, in WFR before he was a master swordsman?) But that's then followed up with a coment that "he has the knowledge of the Seekers before him"!

GAH! My eyes!

I This basically involved drawing a stick person holding a sword with "truth" written on it. He then drew a circle around the person and had it slowly constrict, forcing the real Richard into the cave to trap him. This is magic art you see. Richard was able to kill James by taking away his sketch pad, erasing the sword of truth, and one of the stick figures hands (did I mention James only had one hand?). Yeah, so the magic turned on James and I think Richard made the circle on the sketch pad so tight that it killed James, or something stupid like that.

Sympathetic magic? From Goodkind? :lol:

Thanks for explaining, Mad Moose. Though I've read WFR, I skipped many parts of it. Many parts.

Wait, does this mean Richard has this gift too, as when he drew on the sketch pad, it worked on James?...And does this mean he's related to Violet somehow as he has the 'artistry gift' as well?

I'm confused! :o

I would guess that when WFR was written, Terry (BBNC) hadn't decided on the specifics of James' magic, and maybe figured that it was the sketch pad that was magic or something dumb like that. But of course, Richard is a War Wizard, and it has been said before that his gift can do just about anything, whether he knows how to do it or not.

A humorless smile spread on Violet’s lips as her brow rerw down. “Kneel before your queen.â€

Rachel couldn’t seem to make sense of the words.

Violet’s hand came out of nowhere, striking Rachel so hard that it knocked her sprawling.

“Kneel before your queen!â€

I'm sorely disappointed here. Where's the obligatory red text saying, "KNEEL before Zod!"? I ask you.

Holy cow.

An does this mean he's related to Violet somehow as he has the 'artistry gift' as well?

Isn't Violet Darken Rahl's daugher? Which would make Richard her half-brother, no? Although if her artistic talents are inheretied from her mother that doesn't explain much.

I'm sorely disappointed here. Where's the obligatory red text saying, "KNEEL before Zod!"? I ask you.

Holy cow.

I can't believe I missed that. I haven't been getting enough sleep or something. I shall now go hang my head in shame. :(

Isn't Violet Darken Rahl's daugher? Which would make Richard her half-brother, no? Although if her artistic talents are inheretied from her mother that doesn't explain much.

Nope. She's not.

No. Wizard's ninth rule states that a contradiction cannot exist. Therefore, it only seems like a contradiction to those who lack moral clarity.

Well...SMACK...my head goes up against my forhead, palm open. How could I forget!?!? I guess I'm just too susceptible to the First Rule. Can I ever be forgiven?

And, Moose, don't feel shame. Feel power. That you can do what none of the rest of can, or want to do. :P

I would guess that when WFR was written, Terry (BBNC) hadn't decided on the specifics of James' magic, and maybe figured that it was the sketch pad that was magic or something dumb like that. But of course, Richard is a War Wizard, and it has been said before that his gift can do just about anything, whether he knows how to do it or not.

Great excuse, isn't it? "Forgot some plot points, but hey, since I've said Richard can do anything, I can justify anything he does, even if doesn't make any sense."

I'd love for Richard and Violet to turn out to be related. they are so alike in a lot of ways, and that would be a good twist for the series. But then again, I may be asking too much from TG (BBNC), as he is near incapable of subtlety :lol:

I wonder if he has a long term outline or draft on how the series would go, or if he even keeps track of the stuff he puts in the books for consistency.

A humorless smile spread on Violet’s lips as her brow rerw down. “Kneel before your queen.â€

Rachel couldn’t seem to make sense of the words.

Violet’s hand came out of nowhere, striking Rachel so hard that it knocked her sprawling.

“Kneel before your queen!â€

Funny, I associate this scene with the phrase: On your knees, bitch!

What point of view does Terry (BBNC) write with? Omnicient? I seem to have trouble keeping track of whose POV I'm reading...

Isn't this a direct contradiction. He first says he spent "long hours" to learn how to use a sword (what, like 2, in WFR before he was a master swordsman?) But that's then followed up with a coment that "he has the knowledge of the Seekers before him"!

GAH! My eyes!

This is Mr G's little wave of the hand as to why Richard has l33t sword skillz even without his magic sword. You see, he's spent so long weilding the SoT (using the memories of the Seekers before him) that he has now acquired those skills himself.

This is Mr G's little wave of the hand as to why Richard has l33t sword skillz even without his magic sword. You see, he's spent so long weilding the SoT (using the memories of the Seekers before him) that he has now acquired those skills himself.

Mr. G, you're so clevar!

Geez... Everyone on this board (excepting mystar)>Goodkind.

This is totally similar to the Toilet of Truth that is in my apartment. Though I've been using toilets all my life, since using this one I've gained the experience and insights of those who have shat in it before me. And when I use it I can hear them speaking to me down through the ages. Push, but not too hard. Be on the toilet, but not of the toilet. You shouldn't have had those hot wings last night. So, for me, this sword business is the most realistic part in the whole series.

I need a nap, bad.

Well 'ello moy name is Violet, and oy loyk to dew droh-rings.

Do I get a cookie for recognizing the Family Guy reference?

Well he is bonded to the blade. So despite not being able to wield its super swordiness (I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is about the sword that allows to cause higher amounts of damage, or what that damage entials) he still can call upon its beserker rage power up even though seperated by distance. (See Blood of the Fold, despite the sword being in Andryl (sp) he was able to continue to feel its power down at the palace of the prophets) So he can still access the swords skill enhancement upgrade from wherever as well.

Do I get a cookie for recognizing the Family Guy reference?

No because it is SNL.

Oh. Now I understand. As someone said earlier, its like the Matrix. One touch, and Richard's like: I am the Master Swordsman. Fear me.

And the wonderful thing is, he doesn't need a LAN cable to be plugged into the sword. He's got wireless!

*rips out the pages of SoT books*

Well 'ello moy name is Violet, and oy loyk to dew droh-rings.

:lol:

Well, she got her tongue, teeth and jaw back, so she can speak normally...at least for now...

And when I use it I can hear them speaking to me down through the ages. Push, but not too hard. Be on the toilet, but not of the toilet. You shouldn't have had those hot wings last night. So, for me, this sword business is the most realistic part in the whole series.

I need a nap, bad.

Or a very good therapist, if worst comes to worst.

Archived