When the sun rises in the West and sets in the East.

Ser Arty Dayne

So, I do apologize if this topic has been discussed on the boards before. I am new here, and could not find the topic, so I decided to post. I was wondering could Quentyn fulfill part of Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy? The whole prophecy is:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

I am referring to the sun rising in the west and setting in the east part. The sun is the sigil of House Martell, and Quentyn did originate in the west and died (set) in the east. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the subject.

Also if it is referring to him, does that mean Drogo will return from the dead? Or was it referring to Drogon returning for Daenerys? He did just happen to return to her right before Quentyn was roasted.

The seas going dry could refer to the Dothraki sea. From Dany's last chapter in dance: “The grass was paler than she remembered, a wan and sickly green on the verge of going yellow. After that would come brown. The grass was dying.”

The Mountains blowing in the wind like leaves could be Gregor getting knocked down and killed by Oberyn and screaming non stop for a month
The womb quickening could be when she bleeds heavy when leaving Drogon's nest. If she was pregnant with Dario's baby, her eating the strange berries might have aborted the fetus
Drogo won't be returning. The MMD prophecy was for when he was alive and a vegetable.

The seas going dry could refer to the Dothraki sea. From Dany's last chapter in dance: “The grass was paler than she remembered, a wan and sickly green on the verge of going yellow. After that would come brown. The grass was dying.”

The Mountains blowing in the wind like leaves could be Gregor getting knocked down and killed by Oberyn and screaming non stop for a month

The womb quickening could be when she bleeds heavy when leaving Drogon's nest. If she was pregnant with Dario's baby, her eating the strange berries might have aborted the fetus

Drogo won't be returning. The MMD prophecy was for when he was alive and a vegetable.

:agree:

The mountain part might also refer to the pyramids crumbling down at the end of DwD. But Ser Gregor The Mountain falling was the first thing that came to my mind.

First off, the question Danaerys asked was "When will he [Drogo] be as he was?"

Drogo was alive, but in a vegetative state.

Mirri seems to chose a rather elaborate way to say, "never."

Yet, I do agree some of things Mirri referenced are happening. I don't know what it means, though, since Drogo is no longer a vegetable, he is outright dead with his corpse burned. Perhaps Danaerys will have a vision of him, like she did in the House of the Undying on the TV show where they have one last conversation.

First off, the question Danaerys asked was "When will he [Drogo] be as he was?"

Yup.

Amazing how many people overlook this. She asks when Drogo will not be a vegetable anymore. Then the response tantamount to "never". She doesn't ask if he'll come back to life or something. He's not even dead at this point.

Under what circumstances could the so-called prophecy even be fulfilled?

"Mountains blow in the wind like leaves" is the only part I'm not sure what's referring to. The sea is the Dothraki sea for sure, going dry due to Winter. Quentyn was the sun who came from the West to the East and died. And whatever happened to Dany at the end of her last chapter was a dignt that her womb was quickening. (I actually doubt she ever really was barren. This was her misinterpreting Miri Maz Dur's prophecy).

"Mountains blow in the wind like leaves" is the only part I'm not sure what's referring to. The sea is the Dothraki sea for sure, going dry due to Winter. Quentyn was the sun who came from the West to the East and died. And whatever happened to Dany at the end of her last chapter was a dignt that her womb was quickening. (I actually doubt she ever really was barren. This was her misinterpreting Miri Maz Dur's prophecy).

Not really on topic but I always wondered whether "Mountains blow in the wind like leaves" could refer to a volcanic explosion, smoke & ash would blow in the wind, I think similar activity supposedly caused the Doom of Valaria in the past, Maybe the Mother of Mountains is also an active volcano. Just another possibility I guess.

By the way excuse my manners - Welcome Ser Arty Dayne :cheers:

Mirri seems to chose a rather elaborate way to say, "never."

Yet, I do agree some of things Mirri referenced are happening. I don't know what it means, though, since Drogo is no longer a vegetable, he is outright dead with his corpse burned. Perhaps Danaerys will have a vision of him, like she did in the House of the Undying on the TV show where they have one last conversation.

I think it would make sense for Mirri to speak elaborately as she is trying her best to hurt Dany in revenge, but remember that she didn't actually answer Dany's question, she didn't say it would take that for Drogo to come back but for her "womb to quicken" so she might be cursing her with infertility until he conditions are met.

Perhaps she was talking about his soul. You could also interpret it as when she gives birth to another child it will be Drogo's soul returning.

IMO, the metaphor just doesn't work though.

"When will my Drogo be as he was?" != Child symbolically born with Drogo's attributes or "soul"

It just doesn't make sense as a metaphor even with a very liberal interpretation.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," [Quentyn Martell's journey and death] "When the seas go dry [Dothraki Sea] and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.[The great pyramids of Meereen that are being thrashed by Rhaegal and Viserion] When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child.[Happened in the Dothraki Sea at the end of ADWD. She got pregnant and bore a living child, but she lost it thanks to those poisonous berries] Then he will return, and not before.[After she had the miscarriage, Drogon - who is Khal Drogo's essence turned into dragonform - returned to her]"

Ïn other words, prophecy has been fulfilled.

I think the prophecy has been mostly fulfilled, but to me the missing child is still missing. Her womb quickend again, fine, but I just fail to see a miscarriage as a "living child".

I still have it stuck in my mind that Drogo will "return" in the form of his very own son and Dany will have to "bear" that she has a living child that she thought was dead. I also think that is why Mago might be still important, I can not get the idea out of my head that he took the baby with him to raise him among "real" Dothraki and to take revenge on Dany. In Asoiaf I just can't get over the fact that we never had a POV actually confirming that the baby was dead, usually that is a big broad hint and I will not get it out of my head until the Dany meets khalasar situation is resolved.

I think the prophecy has been mostly fulfilled, but to me the missing child is still missing. Her womb quickend again, fine, but I just fail to see a miscarriage as a "living child".

I think the fault most people make is that "bear a living child" doesn't necessarily have to mean "give birth to a living child". It can also just be a way of saying that she's pregnant. If you look at it from that way, then the prophecy has been fulfilled.

Archived