Heresy 117

Black Crow

I'm not sure if he mentions it specifically but he certainly wears one as a brooch

I bet I'm not the only show viewer mystified by the title.

Mockingbirds. A North American species, found also apparently in Westeros.

So far as what GRRM is doing I think its worth remembering what we're discussed about the Reeds' oath; and how earth and water are linked.

The CotF call themselves those who sing the song of the earth but not only are earth and water linked in the oath, but in talking of the nature of the old gods, streams are specifically mentioned as well as rocks and trees. I'd therefore suggest that when they speak of singing the songs of the earth they are speaking of natural magic generally and we therefore don't need to go distinguishing certain magic as "water" magic.

Then, again as we've discussed before, the bronze and iron element of the oath is men.

Ice and Fire, as I understand what you've said, each have their proper place but ultimately are destructive. In this case perhaps the Singers, finding themselves unable to prevail over Men called upon Ice and so upset the balance...

I totally agree with all we've known of them from myth,using Earth and Water seems to be there thing which makes sense.A babbling brook can only be because of Water and earth,the breaking of the arm of Dorne could only be because they utilized water and earth elements in their working.

You may have missed a post,In terms of "water magic" specifically, i was speaking of the Rhoyners.If the excerpts from the World Book are not just tales,then they seemed to have mastered the water element magically.

Brought back from the Americas by Sir Walter Raleigh, dontcha know...

I also have a recollection of Corn [you know, yellow stuff, kernels, best slathered in butter] appearing on Westerosi dinner tables

Urrax2, Cersei talks about his pin in "The North Remembers":

edit:

- A mockingbird. You created your own sigil didn't you?

- Yes.

- Appropriate for a self-made man with so many songs to sing.

Wow, two seasons ago, no wonder I forgot.

Brought back from the Americas by Sir Walter Raleigh, dontcha know...

I also have a recollection of Corn [you know, yellow stuff, kernels, best slathered in butter] appearing on Westerosi dinner tables

Ah, yes. South American, I see. I did not realize that about potatoes. (Or perhaps I once knew, and had forgotten...)

I don't remember noticing maize-corn in Westeros. I do recall a sudden prevalence of 'neeps at suppers in ADWD - mostly up North, I think. Eventually I looked the word up, and figured out we were dining on turnips. I suppose George had run out of capons...

I'm trying to DVR the episode tonight and i don't see it.Do we not get it here in the US tonight because of it being Memorial Day weekend?

Yes, no show this week.

Correct. HBO intentionally does not air a new episode over Memorial Day Weekend as they do not want to compete with the family camping trips (just like how they choose to air the show on Sunday night so as not to compete with the activities of the week, and like how they have that Sunday night be in the spring so as not to compete with the NFL).

Ah, yes. South American, I see. I did not realize that about potatoes. (Or perhaps I once knew, and had forgotten...)

I don't remember noticing maize-corn in Westeros. I do recall a sudden prevalence of 'neeps at suppers in ADWD - mostly up North, I think. Eventually I looked the word up, and figured out we were dining on turnips. I suppose George had run out of capons...

Tatties an' neeps, braw :) Y' ken?

Correct. HBO intentionally does not air a new episode over Memorial Day Weekend as they do not want to compete with the family camping trips (just like how they choose to air the show on Sunday night so as not to compete with the activities of the week, and like how they have that Sunday night be in the spring so as not to compete with the NFL).

I thought it was because I'm in France...

Ahhh i re-found the quote from so spake martin that has me puzzled..

January 03, 1999

HODOR AND THE CRYPTS

SUBMITTED BY: NENZ

After rereading both AGOT and ACOK I was wondering about one question: Why was Hodor not afraid of the crypts under Winterfell at the end of ACOK? In AGOT Hodor was very afraid of the crypts, he wouldn't take Bran down there, but in ACOK he stayed with Bran and Rickon in the crypt for quite a while, how did he stay there if he was so afraid?

Hodor was only afraid of the crypts =at that specific time.= Not before and not after.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why Hodor was afraid of the crypts at the specific time that Bran wanted to be taken down there in a Game of Thrones?

Ahhh i re-found the quote from so spake martin that has me puzzled..

Does anybody have any ideas as to why Hodor was afraid of the crypts at the specific time that Bran wanted to be taken down there in a Game of Thrones?

Because Rickon & Shaggy Dog where in the crypts at that point? Or that the ghost of Ned Stark was coming?

Archived