Season 5 Casting v.3 [spoilers included]

jentario

I'm starting to think Protar is actually GRRM or a plant from his camp.

I know and love that there's all kinds of different opinions here on everything under the sun...but he's throwing caution, facts and logic so far into the wind with so much reckless abandon that there has to be an ulterior motive.

nah, he's just a patient uber fan. i would call myslf an uber fan - gods help me i think and talk about the books and show far too much - but i'm not nearly as patient as those saying let's wait for the books. i think almost everyone on this forum has said they'd rather have the books first and i am most definitely in that camp. but i also realize there will probably be 8 books before the story's told and it might take another 10 years for the final book to come out. i'll happily take the show's ending for now.

You know, because it doesn't get more disrespectful to a fictional work than changing the ending in the adaptation? Because fandoms normally go up in arms even at the prospect that this could happen and scare each other with and rant against it, because it's something that causes authors to publicly denounce adaptations of their work, something that causes people to criticize Hollywood for being dumb? Did anyone think it was respectful and creative to make the 1995 Scarlet Letter movie with Demi Moore where Hester and Dimmsdale get a happy ending? Maybe they could film a version of Anna Karenina where Vronsky arrives just in time and saves Anna from the train, wouldn't that be great...

What would be respectful is to try to be as faithful as possible to the source material. Whether Martin publishes the books before the end of the show or not makes no difference. By that logic, maybe they should try to diverge as much as possible just so they wouldn't "spoil" things for all those people who watched the show first and only started reading books later. Maybe they should have let Ned and Drogo live just in order not to spoil those people on the books? :rolleyes:

In terms of importance, making the adaptation as faithful as possible >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> not "spoiling" the ending

I never dreamed of the day when some of the ASOAIF fans who complain about the unfaithfulness of GoT as adaptation would be saying that people making the adaptation should be as unfaithful to the source material as possible, let alone that it would be "respectful". WTF? Really, WTF?

Yes, usually it is more respectful to stick as closely as possible, and I'm sure you know how much I harp on about D+D failing to do that. But the last couple books being adapted haven't been released yet. I don't see how it's so hard to understand the logic behind letting Martin be the first one to tell his own story.

Ultimately no matter how D+D handle the ending it could be construed as either respectful or disrespectful. If they change the ending then that could be considered good because it doesn't spoil Martin's books before they come out, or it could be considered bad because they're being unfaithful to the source material. If they keep the ending the same it could be seen as good because of how faithful it is, or bad because Martin doesn't get to be the one to finish his own story. The only other possibility is that by some miracle the books come out before the show. I'd call that perfectly possible for TWOW, but nigh impossible for ADOS.

I'm starting to think Protar is actually GRRM or a plant from his camp.

I know and love that there's all kinds of different opinions here on everything under the sun...but he's throwing caution, facts and logic so far into the wind with so much reckless abandon that there has to be an ulterior motive.

I would be flattered at being compared to Martin. But I'm actually just sad that some people here have gone so far down the show apologist rabbit hole that comparing someone to GRRM is supposed to be an insult.

All I'm doing is pointing out that there are a variety of routes the show could take. I'm not being close minded and shutting down perfectly viable options just because D+D have spoken on the matter.

nah, he's just a patient uber fan. i would call myslf an uber fan - gods help me i think and talk about the books and show far too much - but i'm not nearly as patient as those saying let's wait for the books. i think almost everyone on this forum has said they'd rather have the books first and i am most definitely in that camp. but i also realize there will probably be 8 books before the story's told and it might take another 10 years for the final book to come out. i'll happily take the show's ending for now.

Honestly if there was no show I'd happily wait for as long as Martin took to write the books. If Martin didn't release TWOW until 2018 I'd be fine with that - i've got other stuff to do in the meantime. The only reason I'm so concerned about Martin's writing pace now is the fear of the show overtaking. If they came out and said "the show will be different from now on" it would take an enormous weight off of my shoulders.

If it is definitely the Alcazar in Seville being used then we are set for a treat! That is one of the most beautiful, magical places I've ever seen. This, alongside the other Andalusian locations, likely indicates D&D going big on Dorne - obviously exotic and sultry and Oberyn tees it up nicely, but this then also means, surely, that Dorne is critical to the overall endgame... If the 7-season approach continues (and I strongly suspect it will, bar a possible 'splitting' of s7), now is the time to cut anything extraneous and focus on core story elements and relevant characters.

If Arianne is cut then I think the Aegon plot might be gone too as it looks like her main plotline in the novels will be connected to him. The Myrcella plotline can easily be attributed to somebody else. (The Sand Snakes, and/or a beefed-up, grownup and ambitious Trystane?). The fact that Mrycella is re-cast and it looks like Jamie and Bronn are now heading to Dorne strikes me that the Myrcella issue and potential conflict that brings with KL/Cersei might well prove to be the most important contribution Dorne makes to the overall story.

Ultimately, with the exception of Dany's adventures with her dragons, D&D have streamlined the show to the story of 2 major families - Lannisters v Starks - plus the threat posed by the Others (though even this aspect has been somewhat downplayed, IMO). I can't see much else being focused on in a big way unless it touches on these stories and characters. As D&D know the outcome in advance then this might be the biggest heads-up we have of where ASoIaF is ultimately headed. It would be gutting for GRRM (let alone readers!) to see so many characters and plotlines that he loves never being realised on the screen! I personally don't want him to feel he has to cut to the chase with his own books and bring in an ending prematurely just because his endgame is going to be pre-empted by the TV show. I'd be happy to have him write on an on - well beyond the mooted 7 or 8 books slated at the moment - if it affords me more time to wallow in his storyworld.

I would be flattered at being compared to Martin. But I'm actually just sad that some people here have gone so far down the show apologist rabbit hole that comparing someone to GRRM is supposed to be an insult.

All I'm doing is pointing out that there are a variety of routes the show could take. I'm not being close minded and shutting down perfectly viable options just because D+D have spoken on the matter.

Honestly if there was no show I'd happily wait for as long as Martin took to write the books. If Martin didn't release TWOW until 2018 I'd be fine with that - i've got other stuff to do in the meantime. The only reason I'm so concerned about Martin's writing pace now is the fear of the show overtaking. If they came out and said "the show will be different from now on" it would take an enormous weight off of my shoulders.

Not quite sure where you're getting show apologist from. I'm a rabid Stanfan so it's impossible for me to be an apologist. I'm convinced that the butchery of the Northern storylines and Stannis is a personal slight against me by D&D. This is half in jest...maybe? I know that things that D&D say are most definitely not gospel...I do not like the majority of adaptation decisions they have made (I have a piece of fucking Frey pie tattooed on me...so I'm more than a little freaked out about Manderly being replaced with Umbers when it's one of my favorite moments in the books), yet I still love the show?

But if D&D make a statement that seems historically in line with how they've done things in the past, I'm going to lean to believe things will pan out the way the show producers are saying, over speculative, wishful fans, delusional authors...etc etc.

Me calling you GRRM is not meant as an insult...it just seems to me that you're lobbying so hard for his interests and protecting his legacy, regardless of things we know to be true (right now)...that something else is going on.

If it is definitely the Alcazar in Seville being used then we are set for a treat! That is one of the most beautiful, magical places I've ever seen. This, alongside the other Andalusian locations, likely indicates D&D going big on Dorne - obviously exotic and sultry and Oberyn tees it up nicely, but this then also means, surely, that Dorne is critical to the overall endgame... If the 7-season approach continues (and I strongly suspect it will, bar a possible 'splitting' of s7), now is the time to cut anything extraneous and focus on core story elements and relevant characters.

If Arianne is cut then I think the Aegon plot might be gone too as it looks like her main plotline in the novels will be connected to him. The Myrcella plotline can easily be attributed to somebody else. (The Sand Snakes, and/or a beefed-up, grownup and ambitious Trystane?). The fact that Mrycella is re-cast and it looks like Jamie and Bronn are now heading to Dorne strikes me that the Myrcella issue and potential conflict that brings with KL/Cersei might well prove to be the most important contribution Dorne makes to the overall story.

Ultimately, with the exception of Dany's adventures with her dragons, D&D have streamlined the show to the story of 2 major families - Lannisters v Starks - plus the threat posed by the Others (though even this aspect has been somewhat downplayed, IMO). I can't see much else being focused on in a big way unless it touches on these stories and characters. As D&D know the outcome in advance then this might be the biggest heads-up we have of where ASoIaF is ultimately headed. It would be gutting for GRRM (let alone readers!) to see so many characters and plotlines that he loves never being realised on the screen! I personally don't want him to feel he has to cut to the chase with his own books and bring in an ending prematurely just because his endgame is going to be pre-empted by the TV show. I'd be happy to have him write on an on - well beyond the mooted 7 or 8 books slated at the moment - if it affords me more time to wallow in his storyworld.

I don't think you'll ever have to worry about GRRM cutting to the chase lol. We'll be enjoying ASoIaF novels long after the show is done.

Not quite sure where you're getting show apologist from. I'm a rabid Stanfan so it's impossible for me to be an apologist. I'm convinced that the butchery of the Northern storylines and Stannis is a personal slight against me by D&D. This is half in jest...maybe? I know that things that D&D say are most definitely not gospel...I do not like the majority of adaptation decisions they have made (I have a piece of fucking Frey pie tattooed on me...so I'm more than a little freaked out about Manderly being replaced with Umbers when it's one of my favorite moments in the books), yet I still love the show?

But if D&D make a statement that seems historically in line with how they've done things in the past, I'm going to lean to believe things will pan out the way the show producers are saying, over speculative, wishful fans, delusional authors...etc etc.

Me calling you GRRM is not meant as an insult...it just seems to me that you're lobbying so hard for his interests and protecting his legacy, regardless of things we know to be true (right now)...that something else is going on.

Well of course I am defending his interests of D+Ds. I don't think 7 seasons will be enough to tell all of Martin's story, and nor do I think it will give Martin enough time to write his remaining books. Obviously I'd like some scenario which allows at least one of those things to happen and I've simply been pointing out that such scenarios are possible and there is still plenty of time for plans to change. There is, I assure you, no ulterior motive. :ph34r:

But I'm actually just sad that some people here have gone so far down the show apologist rabbit hole that comparing someone to GRRM is supposed to be an insult.

I'm a jaded Martin fan. Been reading the books for 17 years or so. You don't need to be a "show apologist" to be fed up with the story sprawl.

I like how D&D are tightening the story for TV. It's needed. They recognize it's not the length of pages in a book that dictate how many hours (seasons) of tv are needed to cover it. It's the story progression and character arcs. Relevant story progression and character arcs for the main story.

The books are the books. The side details and subplots make it what it is. I'm jaded with the man, but I'll still be reading the next book when it comes out. But the show is doing a fine job (for the most part) streamlining the story for a different medium. They'd need 15 seasons otherwise.

With that plan, Maise Williams would be in her late 20's by the end. :) And Jon Snow would be close to Ned's age in the book.

I'm really curious about whether Aegon is in or out. If they did exclude him, it would be the biggest change from the books yet. I suppose it is possible that he could be introduced in season 6 when he starts to matter, but then he'd really be coming out of nowhere and would miss the Tyrion cross-over. So if he's not in season 5, my guess is that he's omitted.

At minimum for Aegon, we need an Aegon cast, probably JonCon, mercenary captain, and there needs to be an invasion site with a castle to take, right? The boat journey could be skipped in favor of some indoor meetings in Pentos and then an invasion. Varys could kinda sub in for JonCon, especially since all the kids were aged up, but it probably makes more sense to include JonCon.

I think Littlefinger and Sansa could be the new military threat to the crown in season 5 if the Ironborn and Aegon invasions are skipped. I kind of prefer the idea of spending the time with Littlefinger and Sansa rather than Aegon and Euron.

I bet that Victarion will actually be the Greyjoy uncle cast, not Euron, but he'll have elements of book Euron's personality. Victarion is a better name and he is the one who goes to Dany.

I think Aegon being casted for season 6 would be much more logical. The only part of the story we need is him taking Storm's End. Everything before is pointless filler (in my opinion) and doesn't make Aegon Targeryan being alive afterall any more shocking.

So ideally they cast him for season 6 or season 5 with just an episode 10 moment where he captures Storm's End and people can figure out till season 6 who he might be (even though he looks alot like Daenarys). Besides that all the explaining of his paratage could be done by the Dorne lords.

I think Aegon being casted for season 6 would be much more logical. The only part of the story we need is him taking Storm's End. Everything before is pointless filler (in my opinion) and doesn't make Aegon Targeryan being alive afterall any more shocking.

From the writers' statements that Varys' plans become clear early in season 5, if Varys' plans are still Aegon in the show, we'll see him early on.

So ideally they cast him for season 6 or season 5 with just an episode 10 moment where he captures Storm's End and people can figure out till season 6 who he might be (even though he looks alot like Daenarys). Besides that all the explaining of his paratage could be done by the Dorne lords.

Real Aegon popping up out of nowhere with a massive army is awfully convenient and, sure, it would be shocking, but it would also be shocking if Tyrion turned into a dragon. For Aegon to seem plausible at all, I think it is important to imply that he might be fake. Or to just have Varys come out and say "His bloodline doesn't matter; Westeros finally has a chance to have a good king." And the best chance to do that is when Varys and Tyrion meet Aegon.

If they hold Aegon off til season 6, they need to lay groundwork for him showing up in season 5.

I'm really curious about whether Aegon is in or out. If they did exclude him, it would be the biggest change from the books yet. I suppose it is possible that he could be introduced in season 6 when he starts to matter, but then he'd really be coming out of nowhere and would miss the Tyrion cross-over. So if he's not in season 5, my guess is that he's omitted.

At minimum for Aegon, we need an Aegon cast, probably JonCon, mercenary captain, and there needs to be an invasion site with a castle to take, right? The boat journey could be skipped in favor of some indoor meetings in Pentos and then an invasion. Varys could kinda sub in for JonCon, especially since all the kids were aged up, but it probably makes more sense to include JonCon.

I think Littlefinger and Sansa could be the new military threat to the crown in season 5 if the Ironborn and Aegon invasions are skipped. I kind of prefer the idea of spending the time with Littlefinger and Sansa rather than Aegon and Euron.

I bet that Victarion will actually be the Greyjoy uncle cast, not Euron, but he'll have elements of book Euron's personality. Victarion is a better name and he is the one who goes to Dany.

Euron is listed as Balons brother in the latest inside GOT book so he will almost certainly be in the show. Vic or Aeron are not listed, but neither was the Blackfish so time will tell.

Dany already has ships in the show, so if that's Victarion's main plot function, it's safe to say that he'll be written out.

If that really is his sole plot function I'm glad they cut him. Spending so much time on this character only for him to be a glorified ship deliverer would be a disappointing plot choice on GRRM's part.

EDIT: If they're doing the Queenmaker scene in Spain, why the hell are they scouting desert locations in Israel and Jordan? A bit odd. What could it be if not Dorne? It's a pure desert location. Maybe the Myrcella plotters in a desert talking scene? I still don't see why they'd consider adding a whole nother country to the shooting schedule just to shoot a small talking scene. Any ideas?

I am actually more interested to see whether characters like Moqorro or Marwyn are cast. I could be wrong of course, but they seem to me to be much more important to the plot than Victarion Greyjoy or Jon Connington.

I think the latter two are simply point-of-view characters so as to give us someone to show a particular storyline without jumping into the head of characters (i.e., Moqorro, Aegon) that are best left mysterious for obvious reasons.

Archived