GRRM at recent charity event: I'm still in the middle of the book

Robb_Warged

I suspect that the inevitability of the show overtaking the books is why the show is straying more and more from the books and people in the know have started describing it as two similar stories in the same universe.

It's a compromise. Take a lot of it verbatim, especially early, but now they'll vary it up a good bit such that the show isn't truly a full-on spoiler and we'll be left to guess what they presented in the show that is the same, slightly different or won't even happen at all.

Characters are in different places. Key motivations are somewhat changed. Entire storylines have been cut. I don't think they are even guaranteed to have the same resolution in terms of who sits the iron throne (if anyone) at the end.

This is my biggest hope.

I don't watch the show anymore, but I think it will be very hard not having the ending spoilered by the internet; I really wish they will end up with the "two stories in the same universe" thing.

It's a bit disheartening, but really, what can we do about it? These estimations and attempts to predict the future only increase our anguish. I think I will need to stop watching the show, and possibly even stay away from these boards (it's not like people won't discuss what happens to show-Jon here), but I think I can manage.

I hope I will be alive to read the end of the series!

These charity auctions give me an idea though: what if you win the auction, and George Martin emails you for the details of your character that will be killed in the book, and you tell him "I just did a legal name change, my name is now Ramsay Snow-Bolton".

Come on, its a book half done. Perk up folks, we are half way there!

Optimist: it's a book half done :drool:

Pessimist; it's a book half not-done :worried:

GRRM: you'll wait 4 more years :cool4:

But, seriously, if it Martin writes half a book per 3.5 years, we're in for a loooong wait.

I could also see the show dragging out for more seasons with stuff not from the books at all.

Game of Thrones is a huge money maker so I doubt HBO is in a rush to get through it.

They've already signed another deal with GRRM for a whole nother series, GOT will end with 7 seasons.

I don't know, whenever I read him saying things like that I remember how many drafts he seems to go through and how extensive his writing and re-writing process is. He gives the impression that he at least has the end of the book written as a rough draft, and when he says "in the middle" that means he's feeling 100% about the first half of it. I still believe in a June/July 2015 release, whether that's idiocy or not will be known soon enough.

They've been quite clear they're going to use GRRM's ending.

Words are wind. :)

More seriously, many paths lead to the same fork in the road.

More cryptically, 2+2 and 2*2 equal 4 but they're not really the same math.

More more, overall plot points like conclusion of expected Others conflict? Probably. The how? Less certain. I'd say the how drives the throne sitter. I can very much see it being "different" but "the same." The war for the throne isn't the main plot. It's a lesser detail and only serves to weaken Westeros for the Others. How exactly that turns out matters much less than how the battle for Westeros goes.

P.S. The best way not to be disappointed is to be a pessimist. The last two books have taken 5 and 6 years to be published, and it was really one book split in two. So count 11 years per book, and since he is writing more slowly, add 50% writing time, 16 years per book.

Winds of Winter: 2027 (16 years after Dance with Dragons)

Dream of Spring: 2043

With that estimate in mind, if they come out sooner, I will be pleasantly surprised.

If what is being suggested by these comments is true, it really is remarkable how precipitous the drop in Martin's writing speed has been over the past fifteen years or so. He went from writing 500 pages a year during the first three books, to around 350 per year for the next two, to what looks to be 200 pages per year now.

I still believe in a June/July 2015 release, whether that's idiocy or not will be known soon enough.

Oh, sweet summer child :P

P.S. The best way not to be disappointed is to be a pessimist. The last two books have taken 5 and 6 years to be published, and it was really one book split in two. So count 11 years per book, and since he is writing more slowly, add 50% writing time, 16 years per book.

Winds of Winter: 2027 (16 years after Dance with Dragons)

Dream of Spring: 2043

Oh, sourest of winter children :P

His interviews this spring will be rather interesting. As will be the ones given by Benioff and Weiss. It looks like the the last four episodes or so of season six will be written without the aid of Martin's material. They will be working off of outlines and notes.

Archived