GRRM at recent charity event: I'm still in the middle of the book

Robb_Warged

You have to be delusional, have you never seen any other adaptation ever?

They're never the same. Format changes make that impossible.

Many/most are radically different.

If you want to narrow the ending down to "who is sitting on the throne at the end", then sure, it might be the "same". But that's less than 1% of the ending IMO.

For the most part, yes, especially with tv adaptations. True Blood is one recent example. Every season after the first deviated from the book so much that it was no longer recognizable. The ending, of course, was nothing at all like the book endings. The Walking Dead might be another current example, though I believe the comic series is yet unfinished. Still, it's deviated pretty radically in some parts. Dexter is yet another recent example off the top of my head.

D&D have indicated that they are working towards the ending GRRM gave them (years after he signed the initial contract, btw) but it's by no means set in stone that adaptations create a product that allows them to use the same ending as the book author.

I believe Martin has so much fun in writing the fantastically overwhelming ending that he somewhat neglected the in-between and so we will get ADOS before TWOW. :D

Or he'll call a fanfiction competition "There and Back Again" because his ending is so weird that we can try ourselves how to get there.

I would have to say the same sentence back at you.

Show me a single adaptation that is exactly true to its source material.

And then I'll show you seasons 2-4 of GoT and win anyways. Even season 1 varies enough that I'd consider it a win for myself.

GRRM himself agrees that the TV show necessarily differs from his books.

So it comes down to: what do you consider a "same" ending? What list of checkboxes do you have? As I said before, the same person on the throne is about all the "sameness" I would really bet on(as in I think it's got a slightly higher than 50% chance of being the same person), and personally I think even that could change.

If you reduce the "ending" to a few simple facts... why are you even reading the books at all? You could just google "who won the iron throne" after all the books are out if it's all you care about.

In reality the "ending" is essentially the totality of the story. If the main body of the story is changed, the ending is necessarily different. The show has already altered much(or even most) of the story up to now, so the ending is already that far deviated.

Show me a single adaptation that is exactly true to its source material.

And then I'll show you seasons 2-4 of GoT and win anyways. Even season 1 varies enough that I'd consider it a win for myself.

GRRM himself agrees that the TV show necessarily differs from his books.

So it comes down to: what do you consider a "same" ending? What list of checkboxes do you have? As I said before, the same person on the throne is about all the "sameness" I would really bet on(as in I think it's got a slightly higher than 50% chance of being the same person), and personally I think even that could change.

If you reduce the "ending" to a few simple facts... why are you even reading the books at all? You could just google "who won the iron throne" after all the books are out if it's all you care about.

In reality the "ending" is essentially the totality of the story. If the main body of the story is changed, the ending is necessarily different. The show has already altered much(or even most) of the story up to now, so the ending is already that far deviated.

Season 1 ends with Ned's death, Arya joining the Night's Watch, Tyrion being made Hand, Joffrey in power, Sansa in his clutches, Jaime Robb's prisoner, Robb being crowned King in the North, Dany hatching three dragons.

Season 2 ends with Stannis being defeated at the Battle of the Blackwater, Arya escaping Harrenhal, Tyrion falling from power, Joffrey agreeing to form an alliance with the Tyrells, Robb breaking his vow to Walder Frey

Season 3 ends with Robb and Catelyn's death, Arya with the Hound, Sansa married to Tyrion, Jon back at Castle Black, Sam bringing Gilly to Castle Black, Tywin showing Joffrey who the rule power is in King's Landing, Stannis agreeing to go to the Wall, Dany conquering Yunkai.

Season 4 ends with Sansa and Littlefinger at the Eyrie, Arya leaving the Hound and finding a ship to Braavos, Stannis at the Wall, Theon heading to Winterfell, Jaime letting Tyrion go, Tyrion killing Tywin and Shae, fleeing the capital, Varys assisting him, Dany ruling Meereen.

Seasons 1 and 2 essentially left off where they did in the books. Seasons 3 and 4 are a bit trickier because they were both based off Book 3, with Books 4/5 sprinkled in there, but they managed to find decent stopping points for all these characters. Point is, all these events happened in the books. The road leading to them may have been different, but the ending is still the same. I see no reason to think that the ending of the entire series would be any different.

Don't get too depressed everybody!

GRRM is a professional.

He can write has he has shown over and over again. Also he has said that he doesn't get 'writer's block'. Which means that when he works on a project then he gets something done. And he has said that he is now concentrating solely on finishing The Winds of Winter. So there is every reason to believe he is getting forward much faster now than we has been during the last 3 years when he had other projects to pursue.

With the 6th season set to air in spring 2016 he has a real incentive to forge ahead now.

So he has the means and the motive. Things look more promising than they did.

Of course writing is hard work and takes a lot of time so the book won't miraculously appear suddenly. GRRM might make spring 2016 or he might not. But I bet he is trying to and I bet he is making progress right this moment.

It could just mean that he's editing the middle part because he's stuck on the final chapters.

During an interview sometime in April-June last year Liam said that GRRM approached him and explaining that he was "half way through the book" so this could just be a misunderstanding. I seriously doubt that GRRM is going to take another three years to finish this thing.

Archived