Season 6 Casting, Sightings and Speculations

Swineherd

I was cobbling together what information we have about parts filming in December:

A (non-Northern) lord, first reported back in September, described as the best remaining part this season, filming for the first two weeks in December.  I have a theory that this is Leyton Hightower.

Captain of the Tower, a one-scene part with leading cast that films for a week starting December 2nd.  So this is probably just finished.  The captain has dialogue in a scene where his superior is making a decision.  I'd speculate this is linked to the above part, given the filming overlap.

The guys widely believed to be Cerwyn and Manderly, both filming on December 16th.  Since we have a specific date for this one, it will be interesting to see who of the main cast is known to be in Ireland on that day.

A baby with brown eyes, needed for one day on December 17th.  Presumably baby Jon, so in turn the most likely people filming with him would be the actors playing the young Ned and Howland, I expect.

I don't think it's Jon. They already shoot scenes in August with Lyanna (young stunner from the casting call quite likely), Ned and baby...possibly with Howland or as it was speculated one other woman. It was kept in secret just like Mel's scenes and one of this would be Jon's resurrection. We don't even know the identity of her, but it's said that Lyanna is known actress. Maybe too much of a spoiler.

I don't think it's Jon. They already shoot scenes in August with Lyanna (young stunner from the casting call quite likely), Ned and baby...possibly with Howland or as it was speculated one other woman. It was kept in secret just like Mel's scenes and one of this would be Jon's resurrection. We don't even know the identity of her, but it's said that Lyanna is known actress. Maybe too much of a spoiler.

Specifying that the newborn baby have brown eyes is something they generally only do when casting a younger version of an established castmember.  Kit Harington has brown eyes, and there's no reason they couldn't be filming another scene with an infant Jon.

Specifying that the newborn baby have brown eyes is something they generally only do when casting a younger version of an established castmember.  Kit Harington has brown eyes, and there's no reason they couldn't be filming another scene with an infant Jon.

Maybe it could be reshoots. I looked up at wotw and it's not even clear if the baby is for got or other show or film.

I was cobbling together what information we have about parts filming in December:

A (non-Northern) lord, first reported back in September, described as the best remaining part this season, filming for the first two weeks in December.  I have a theory that this is Leyton Hightower.

Captain of the Tower, a one-scene part with leading cast that films for a week starting December 2nd.  So this is probably just finished.  The captain has dialogue in a scene where his superior is making a decision.  I'd speculate this is linked to the above part, given the filming overlap.

The guys widely believed to be Cerwyn and Manderly, both filming on December 16th.  Since we have a specific date for this one, it will be interesting to see who of the main cast is known to be in Ireland on that day.

A baby with brown eyes, needed for one day on December 17th.  Presumably baby Jon, so in turn the most likely people filming with him would be the actors playing the young Ned and Howland, I expect.

Leyton Hightower is such a good prediction. Especially when you remember that's he's shooting at the same time with a character named "Captain of the tower"

Leyton Hightower is such a good prediction. Especially when you remember that's he's shooting at the same time with a character named "Captain of the tower"

Hightower, or the Reader

I lean more towards the Reader though, because 50's is quite a bit too young for Hightower (though maybe in show world that doesn't matter) and because Yara and Theon's story will likely need the Reader while Hightower is not someone we have even met in the books and the Oldtown story may work just fine without him.

I tend to agree. If this baby is for game of thrones at all, then it is probably baby Jon, maybe in a different scene...like the one from the books where Ned visits the tree with Robb and Jon  and says they should grow up as brothers.

Hightower, or the Reader

I lean more towards the Reader though, because 50's is quite a bit too young for Hightower (though maybe in show world that doesn't matter) and because Yara and Theon's story will likely need the Reader while Hightower is not someone we have even met in the books and the Oldtown story may work just fine without him.

Fingers crossed for Rodrick "The Reader" Harlaw. Besides Euron will need some Ironborn to banter with.

• 2 weeks later...
Hightower, or the Reader

With how big the cast for next season is, I don't see how they could fit him. The Ironborn have enough characters to make for an intriguing plot (5 Greyjoys confirmed, and pirate characters )

Sam after leaving Gilly in Hornhill, has no one to interact with. I could see them merging Marwyn with Hightower so he'll be in charge of the Citadel and at the same time face the Ironborn assault.

Aeron is confirmed for season 6. I don't think he'll have a major role outside of the Kingsmoot.

Aeron is Cogman's favourite character and it makes sense to have not just Euron around as a new Ironborn character. Greyjoys should be fun storyline, but many people said things like that about Dorne. OI just hope it's good enough and they will spend quality time with them.

With how big the cast for next season is, I don't see how they could fit him. The Ironborn have enough characters to make for an intriguing plot (5 Greyjoys confirmed, and pirate characters )

Sam after leaving Gilly in Hornhill, has no one to interact with. I could see them merging Marwyn with Hightower so he'll be in charge of the Citadel and at the same time face the Ironborn assault.

I don't quite see your logic...it is a packed season so they will cast a character we have not even seen in the books, who is way older in the book dexcription, and who so far as we know has NO role ( Hightower) instead of a character we have met in the books, whose description matches perfectly, and who is very likely key to Theon and/or Yara and/or Damphair's storyline (the Reader)?

We know the role we are discussing here is not particularly big, so I stick to my position that the Reader makes the most sense. This casting is not part of the same call as the Northern lords and doesn't have the same requirements, so it is not someone Northern. The Oldtown story probably only needs Sam and some maesters, some Ironborn raiders and a faceless man...for whatever reason the FM have chosen to infiltrate the citadel.

We don't have a firm end-date given, though it's not a bad guess.

After FeastDance, I don't think POV statues hold as much weight as it did before. Arys, Quentyn, Areo even JonCon (even if they chose to do the Aegon plotline, which they didn't) all can easily be cut.

After Sam leaves his home, he needs good characters to interact with. They must introduce Marwyn-type character this season. The only description that comes close to a character in Old Town is an Old Lord shooting at the same time with a captain of the a tower, who seems to be fending off an assault. When you remember that the Ironborn will attack Oldtown in the books, the puzzle pieces start to come together

thinking some more about this new peek at Bran, and Isaac's interviews:

Apparently he said season 6 was "inceptiony". Reporters have tended to assume from this that Isaac is just a kid and is confused about how the movie Inception works.

I think this is actually a strong hint that Bran can influence people now via dreams. We already saw in the books that Bloodraven could do this (Bran, Rickon, Jojen, maybe Jaime etc.), though not with everyone. So it is not that huge a stretch that Bran can do this as well. In season 6 we could see him "dreaming" influence over other characters, starting to have an impact on their choices.

Maybe as in Inception, Bran can pick up information from people while they dream as well.

After FeastDance, I don't think POV statues hold as much weight as it did before. Arys, Quentyn, Areo even JonCon (even if they chose to do the Aegon plotline, which they didn't) all can easily be cut.

After Sam leaves his home, he needs good characters to interact with. They must introduce Marwyn-type character this season. The only description that comes close to a character in Old Town is an Old Lord shooting at the same time with a captain of the a tower, who seems to be fending off an assault. When you remember that the Ironborn will attack Oldtown in the books, the puzzle pieces start to come together

I see what you are saying about Sam needing to intereact but....

1. With Sam hanging out at Horn Hill and other dallying, and Euron just being introduced for the Kingsmoot now, I strongly suspect that the Oldtown action is not in season 6. Instead I think Sam will have his last scene of the season simply arriving at Oldtown, maybe meeting an apprentice or two...if he makes it there at all. Meanwhile Euron will begin moving against Oldtown at the end of the season.

2. There is simply no need to merge Hightower into Marwyn's character. Marwyn is a maester and the story has no need for him to be a lord. Marwyn will IMO get lots of name drops, but his will be the major new role of season 7.

I see what you are saying about Sam needing to intereact but....

1. With Sam hanging out at Horn Hill and other dallying, and Euron just being introduced for the Kingsmoot now, I strongly suspect that the Oldtown action is not in season 6. Instead I think Sam will have his last scene of the season simply arriving at Oldtown, maybe meeting an apprentice or two...if he makes it there at all. Meanwhile Euron will begin moving against Oldtown at the end of the season.

2. There is simply no need to merge Hightower into Marwyn's character. Marwyn is a maester and the story has no need for him to be a lord. Marwyn will IMO get lots of name drops, but his will be the major new role of season 7.

I agree. There's already too many storylines this season (Bran, The North, KL, Sam's travelogues, The Riverlands, the Ironborn, Dorne, Meereen, Arya and the Dothrakis). If I remember correctly, there was a short scene being filmed between Sam and a young Maester in Oldtown. I put my money on this being Sam's last scene in Season 6. The Citadel, Marwyn and the Oldtown business will be in Season 7. 

Archived