Light, sexy period romance

Crixus

Wow. I expected a drought and am greeted by a flood! Many thanks y'all, for such a comprehensive and varied list. I intend to get through much of it.

Lady Narcissa: by trashy I mean light, easy to read; the same word I use for light, fast-paced thrillers. No offense or disparagement intended.

That seems like a rather odd definition of "trashy" to me. Trash is something that is so bad you should really throw it out. I don't see why something that's "light and easy to read" can't also be of high quality and lasting merit.

Lady Narcissa: by trashy I mean light, easy to read; the same word I use for light, fast-paced thrillers. No offense or disparagement intended.

The problem when you use the word trashy in conjunction with romance novels is you perpetuate a stereotype that isn't accurate. Also, based on your description of what the word means to you, you aren't going to necessarily get recommendations for books you want to read. Darth Richard says "trasy romance" means "rape fantasies/bodice rippers" to them. Is that the sort of book you want to read and are looking for recommendations for? I don't think so based on your comments on one of the books you mention above.

I think when you use the word trasy on a forum such as this you are setting yourself up for a certain set of responses. First of all you are going to get no response from the majority of women on this forum who read and enjoy romance novels. Second you are going to get recommendations for books that are in no way romance novels such as Winston Graham's Poldark series or Daphne DuMaurier. Or third you are going to get hate read recommendations for the its so bad its good and you must read and laugh at it books.

Romance novels get referred to by a lot of derogatory terms in the media. Readers of most other genres generally look down on readers of romance. With that kind of stigma its no wonder to the extent anyone ever admits on this forum to reading a romance novel its usually qualified by the its really crap but I couldn't stop reading it because its so bad its good comment. And it always disappoints me on this forum because its not like readers of science fiction and fantasy fare much better in the media or with readers of of "L"iterature.

So I get that you meant no harm and were looking for light fun reads, but if that is what you want, call it as such. Don't perpetuate a sterotype that degrades something you read and enjoy.

Lady N - I gave a wide variety of responses (since I'm responsible for Poldark, at least) because I think you are right that there is a large variety of responses that the adjective could have solicited. So I tried to include the soap opera-y sagas with the books more commonly found with the covers in pink floral with people in various (completely a-historical) stages of undress, with a side of the Austen imitators. I think of the books a lot of books like that as mind candy (not particularly good for me but a lot of fun) rather than trash, but it's to the same effect.

I think of the books a lot of books like that as mind candy (not particularly good for me but a lot of fun) rather than trash, but it's to the same effect.

See I guess I don't agree with this. I think of mind candy as something fun and enjoyable. I think of trash as garbage and filth. A huge difference between the two to me.

Also, I have a problem with the idea that something that is "a lot of fun" and presumably enjoyable to read is "not particularly good for me". Most people I know have spent a great deal of time and effort in their life to fall in love or form some kind of relationship with someone else. This is generally considered to be a good thing and even to some people a necessary thing. I can't understand why people would think reading about such things would be any different.

But there are plenty of books that I do think are a lot of fun and enjoyable that are good for me. The books I am thinking of are enjoyable, I will read them, but do not merit the kind of attention and thought that I put into other books. I think there are wonderful, fabulous, love stories that fit into that category, and I say that from the perspective that a good 70% of what I read could probably fall in that bucket. In fact, a lot of great literature does, because we are social animals and relationships are part of the human condition. I have always agreed with your point that genre labeling is limiting and damaging to finding good books. But I do think that quality rating is important. I can find a lot of fun and comfort in a formulaic regency, but it engages less of my mental energy than something like, e.g., Kate Forsyth's Bitter Greens, which in turn engages less energy than e.g., Parade's End.

Fixed the title. Apologies; I didn't put any thought into it, really. Around here we do use the word in a lighter tone. If you look at the example I used (Johanna Lindsey, Julia Quinn) their books aren't serious in themes and tonality: bodice rippers, as Richard said. That's the kind of thing I meant (without the overt rapey connotations ala Outlander).

Anyway, I didn't intend to imply such books are somehow beneath me or whatever. They're not.

Fixed the title. Apologies; I didn't put any thought into it, really. Around here we do use the word in a lighter tone. If you look at the example I used (Johanna Lindsey, Julia Quinn) their books aren't serious in themes and tonality: bodice rippers, as Richard said. That's the kind of thing I meant (without the overt rapey connotations ala Outlander).

Thanks, I appreciate it :)

In trying to think of some recommendations are you okay with emotional agnst? Or are you just looking for lighter funnier ones? You mentioned Julia Quinn and hers have always been light and without angst and without any of the connotations you don't enjoy but there are not too many romance writers who walk that line. Have you read anything by Judith McNaught, Lisa Kleypas, Eloisa James, Mary Jo Putney (her 1990s titles, not recent ones), Amanda Quick (again her 1990s titles, not recent ones), or Sherry Thomas? If you've read any of those and can kind of yay or nay them that might help me come up with some suggestions.

I should say I have read a lot of historical romance from the 1970s till about 2006ish and then I've almost pretty much stopped reading anything new. I find historical romance published these days is one extreme or the other - i.e. too close to erotica or too politically correct/too sweet and thus dull for me. Most of what I enjoyed in historical romance in the past is these days found in pararnormal romance or urban fantasy. So I wouldn't have any newly published historical romance recommendations.

If you want formulaic plot, lots of sex, a "mystery" that needs to be solved at the end, and not very good writing, you really can't go wrong with Stephanie Lauren's Cynster Series, or at least the first six or so. After that, they just get too awful to read.

And I think of these as "brain candy" as well. I don't watch TV or play video games, so these books are a way to turn my brain off. They aren't exclusively (or even the majority) of what I read, but gosh are they fun! My soon-to-be-nine-year-old reads beginner chapter books about abandoned kittens. Sometimes we snuggle in bed and read our "trash" together. :)

Haha, I've read Austen too many times already. My favourite has to be Persuasion.

I borrowed Sarah Mc Lean from someone and so far, no good. The writing style is too... contemporary for lack of a better word. It sounds off. Also (pet peeve) there are too many adjectives! Seriously, she is wordy and not in a good way; rather in that immature sort of style where everyone is always gushing about how beautiful/sinfully alluring/sexy etc. her protagonists are. It's the old 'show vs. tell' thing.

I plan to check out Eloisa James, Judith Mc Naught and Stephanie Lauren, so thanks all!

P.S. I found a series co-authored by Julia Quinn and 2 other romance writers. Shall keep you lot posted.

ETA: also, pirates, Lyanna!

I don't remember if this has been discussed or not, but since we were discussing the "trash" label and romance novels, it is interesting to note that Eloisa James is the pen name for Mary Bly. She has degrees from Harvard and Yale and is a professor and Shakespeare sholar at Fordham University. Her father is Robert Bly, a poet who won the National Book Award. Mary/Eloisa wrote a very witty and enlightening piece for the Washington Post. She knows she's not writing great literature,and she does not care.

I don't remember if this has been discussed or not, but since we were discussing the "trash" label and romance novels, it is interesting to note that Eloisa James is the pen name for Mary Bly. She has degrees from Harvard and Yale and is a professor and Shakespeare sholar at Fordham University. Her father is Robert Bly, a poet who won the National Book Award. Mary/Eloisa wrote a very witty and enlightening piece for the Washington Post. She knows she's not writing great literature,and she does not care.

That's a great article.

I've never understood why everything needs to be "great literature". There is space enough for all sorts of novels, and like Ms Bly, there is only so much tragedy, death and grief I can take before I look for something else. After a long day of work related issues, a nice healthy dose of happy go lucky saccharine reading is perfect relaxation.

I absolutely agree that all books don't have to be "great literature". And what is wonderful as a book reader is the variety of everything that is available to read. As with everything in life I find a little of everything is the best mix. I will just always take exception to people looking down or using derogatory terms to describe books that they enjoy that aren't "great literature". There are truly horrible crappy trashy things published in all genres. I have stumbled unintentionally upon a few of them. But I would never recommend such a book to anyone. If anything, I throw it in the trash, give it a 1 star review on goodreads to warn others, and never speak of it again.

Eloisa James is an interesting person. I follow her on social media and she is delightful to talk to in person and to hear speak at conferences. I want to like her books, however, I dislike most of her books! There are a few books in the middle of her publishing career so far that I found enjoyable. But not her first ones and not her most recent ones.

Crixus, I only mentioned those authors above to see if you've read any of them and get a feel for what you like. I wouldn't necessarily recommend all of them and for sure not all their books. Like I'm going to guess based on your comments in this thread that wouldn't like at least four of Judith McNaught's novels.

Well, the multi authored series I mentioned includes Eloisa James along with Julia Quinn. And another one: Connie Brockway. Excited! I got the first 2 books; it's meant to be a 3 parter. 'The lady most likely' is 1.

Will let you lot know how I get on :D

I just love reading, y'know? I'm notorious in my family for being unable not to, even at the dining table :P

I like to think everything I read adds something to my thinking or experiences or just, life in general.

Eloisa James is an interesting person. I follow her on social media and she is delightful to talk to in person and to hear speak at conferences. I want to like her books, however, I dislike most of her books! There are a few books in the middle of her publishing career so far that I found enjoyable. But not her first ones and not her most recent ones.

Just out of interest, why don't you like them? :) (I have not read any of Eloisa James' novels, just curious as to why. )

Look up that series by John Norman.

For some reason I misread that as Norman Mailer first and went like WTF dude?? :lol:

Anyways, can you specify which series you mean and why it is any good?

Archived