Jon Snow's real name is....

First off, as all noobs do. I'll announce that i'm a long time stalker, first time poster. If this was already posted forgive me. I posted this on my man Don Willi's youtube video on Jon Snow's name and would just like to get a broader audience involved. Puts Tinfoil hat on....
Reading over some R+L=J quotes and I think I just came up with a fun tinfoil theory, You say that they wouldn't name him Aegon because he already has a son named Aegon with Elia. But that is where I disagree. Rhaegar's son with Elia was crowned Aegon VI, even if not officially, when the kingslayer killed Aerys. Even if only for a short period of time before getting his head crushed open by the mountain. You could even say when fAegon takes the crown, which he most likely will with a soft Tommen and a depleted force at King's Landing. He will then become Aegon VI, even if false.

Now some quotes...
On The Quiet Island the Elder Brother says something interesting....

"That interested Ser Hyle "Rhaegar's rubies?"
"It may be. Who can say? The battle was long leagues from here, but the river is tireless and patient. Six have been found. We are all waiting for the SEVENTH."

When Dany is talking to Ser Jorah about one of her visions in the house of the undying... "There was a woman in bed with a babe at her breast. My brother said the babe was the prince that was promised and told her to name him Aegon."
"Prince Aegon was Rhaegar's son by Elia of Dorne," Ser Jorah said. "But if he was the prince that was promised, the promise was broken along with his skull when the Lannisters dashed his head against the wall""
But the Promise wasn't broken Ser Jorah...well it was with that Aegon, Aegon VI of Rhaegar and Elia. But not of Aegon VII of Rhaegar and Lyanna "Promise me Ned" Now what and how much Lyanna made Ned promise is still unkown. But we can pretty much gather that at least part of that was to keep Jon safe from Robert. Why would Lyanna be so worried about Robert hurting Jon? She has reason to believe he wouldn't of stayed faithful to her if they married, but a child killer? She has no basis for that right? Unless, Ned told her of Rhaegar's fate and of his children's fate at the hand of the Lannisters.
Now knowing this, she is obviously scared for her child's life.She also knew Rheagar was obsessed with prophecy and believed Aegon was the prince that was promised and his song is that of ice and fire....except he is not of ice and fire..... She has Ned promise to keep her son Aegon VII, who is of ice and fire, safe from Robert by any means necessary. Which Ned does, by giving him the alias Jon Snow. But Jon Snow is dead.... All hail Aegon VII, the prince that was promised, the song of ice and fire, the ruby that everyone is waiting for....

First off, as all noobs do. I'll announce that i'm a long time stalker, first time poster. If this was already posted forgive me. I posted this on my man Don Willi's youtube video on Jon Snow's name and would just like to get a broader audience involved. Puts Tinfoil hat on....

Reading over some R+L=J quotes and I think I just came up with a fun tinfoil theory, You say that they wouldn't name him Aegon because he already has a son named Aegon with Elia. But that is where I disagree. Rhaegar's son with Elia was crowned Aegon VI, even if not officially, when the kingslayer killed Aerys. Even if only for a short period of time before getting his head crushed open by the mountain. You could even say when fAegon takes the crown, which he most likely will with a soft Tommen and a depleted force at King's Landing. He will then become Aegon VI, even if false.

Now some quotes...

On The Quiet Island the Elder Brother says something interesting....

"That interested Ser Hyle "Rhaegar's rubies?"

"It may be. Who can say? The battle was long leagues from here, but the river is tireless and patient. Six have been found. We are all waiting for the SEVENTH."

When Dany is talking to Ser Jorah about one of her visions in the house of the undying... "There was a woman in bed with a babe at her breast. My brother said the babe was the prince that was promised and told her to name him Aegon."

"Prince Aegon was Rhaegar's son by Elia of Dorne," Ser Jorah said. "But if he was the prince that was promised, the promise was broken along with his skull when the Lannisters dashed his head against the wall""

But the Promise wasn't broken Ser Jorah...well it was with that Aegon, Aegon VI of Rhaegar and Elia. But not of Aegon VII of Rhaegar and Lyanna "Promise me Ned" Now what and how much Lyanna made Ned promise is still unkown. But we can pretty much gather that at least part of that was to keep Jon safe from Robert. Why would Lyanna be so worried about Robert hurting Jon? She has reason to believe he wouldn't of stayed faithful to her if they married, but a child killer? She has no basis for that right? Unless, Ned told her of Rhaegar's fate and of his children's fate at the hand of the Lannisters.

Now knowing this, she is obviously scared for her child's life.She also knew Rheagar was obsessed with prophecy and believed Aegon was the prince that was promised and his song is that of ice and fire....except he is not of ice and fire..... She has Ned promise to keep her son Aegon VII, who is of ice and fire, safe from Robert by any means necessary. Which Ned does, by giving him the alias Jon Snow. But Jon Snow is dead.... All hail Aegon VII, the prince that was promised, the song of ice and fire, the ruby that everyone is waiting for....

Aegon would need to be crowned to be Aegon the VI, which he was not. So even if Jon's real name is Aegon (it is not) he would not be Aegon the VII

Not Aegon

Viserys. It completes the Three Heads of the Dragon. Aegon, Rhaenys and Viserys (male form of Visenya)

Who says Viserys is a male form of Visenya? Who says Rhaegar was trying to immitate Aegon and his sisters? He screwed up from the get go if so because he didn't name his first daughter Visenya, but Rhaenys. Besides, Jon's real name is Lygar.

Aegon would need to be crowned to be Aegon the VI, which he was not. So even if Jon's real name is Aegon (it is not) he would not be Aegon the VII

I don't think Jon was named Aegon, and AeGriff most definitely isn't Aegon VI, but he could be before the end of the story if he becomes king (which I am sure he will if only for a time).

Who says Viserys is a male form of Visenya? Who says Rhaegar was trying to immitate Aegon and his sisters? He screwed up from the get go if so because he didn't name his first daughter Visenya, but Rhaenys. Besides, Jon's real name is Lygar.

The same way that Rhaegar is the male form of Rhaenys

Lets see, he has two kids named Rhaenys and Aegon, and says that there must be Three Heads of the Dragon... that doesn't maybe point to him completing the Third Head by name the final child after the final name in the trio?

He might have name the Rhaenys first because both he and his mother were named after Rhaenys

The same way that Rhaegar is the male form of Rhaenys

Lets see, he has two kids named Rhaenys and Aegon, and says that there must be Three Heads of the Dragon... that doesn't maybe point to him completing the Third Head by name the final child after the final name in the trio?

He might have name the Rhaenys first because both he and his mother were named after Rhaenys

What makes you think Rhaegar is a male form of Rhaenys? Where are you getting this stuff? Rhae occurs in many names, Rhaenys, Rhaella, Rhaenyra, Rhaena, Rhaegel, Rhae. Viserys may share an element with Visenya (as does Viserra), perhaps that is even its purpose, but that doesn't mean it is a male form of the name. And that doesn't mean Rhaegar intended to name his child Visenya or Viserys, or that Lyanna herself actually did so. Superficially I can see where the idea comes from, I just doubt that is what happened here.

safe from Robert by any means necessary.

Has it ever occurred to you that it wasn't Robert he was hiding him from? Robert isn't the one who ordered the prince & princess killed and then shielded the man who murdered them and raped their mother. Sure pardons were given but we don't know the exact circumstances of that. I know its popular to think Robert Baratheon is a really terrible no good shit person on this board but use your head. There is a world of difference between being relieved because an ugly choice was taken out of your hands and actually ordering the deaths of infants in their cribs. Maybe AGoT Robert might have considered it but RR Robert would consider it beneath him. If you can't trust Robert's questionable integrity which I admit is questionable trust his pride and his vanity. Ned would have every reason to think he might be able to talk Robert down. Tywin Lannister on the other hand has already at this point proven himself a child killer and I have no doubt he would start another war just to make sure that the Targaryens never came to power again. Its the only way to make sure they can never revenge themselves on house Lannister.

/edited for crappy spelling

Am I missing something? Has there been any reason to doubt Jon was called Jon? Plus welcome to the forums.

Simple Viserys, Visenya. Who says erica is the female version of eric?

Plus Rhaegar named her rhaenys because at that time he believed he was the prince and so he wasn't considering his children being the three heads. He (as had been mentioned) just liked that Rhaenys linked into Rhaegar and Rhaella. He wasn't thinking visenya, aegon, rhaenys.

Am I missing something? Has there been any reason to doubt Jon was called Jon? Plus welcome to the forums.Simple Viserys, Visenya. Who says erica is the female version of eric?

Plus Rhaegar named her rhaenys because at that time he believed he was the prince and so he wasn't considering his children being the three heads. He (as had been mentioned) just liked that Rhaenys linked into Rhaegar and Rhaella. He wasn't thinking visenya, aegon, rhaenys.

He wasn't thinking of at the time Rhaenys was born, bust was clearly thinking it by the time Aegon was born (he named Aegon and mention the Three Heads in the same vision that Daenerys sees)

Folks might want to read Catelyn´s second chapter in AGOT were Ned says (his opinion at AGOT time) to her that Robert would never harm any of his... ANY... Jon included

And as it was said earlier Ned named the boy after Jon Arryn...

If R+L=J is true, and his parents could name him he would probably be Viserys, Aerys or Aemon

I believe Rhaegar was expecting Jon to be a girl and name him Visenya. Since he died before Jon was born and there is no indication of Lyanna naming him Jon is his real name. Ned named him when he had no prior name so he does not have any other "real" name.

I believe Rhaegar was expecting Jon to be a girl and name him Visenya.

Yes, I agree with this. If they had an alternative for a son instead of a daughter, it was probably Aemon. However, I don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of this really. It's a pretty minor issue.

Simple Viserys, Visenya. Who says erica is the female version of eric?

That is an absurd comparison. We know how Eric and Erica are related and how one is a feminine version of the other. We don't know what the elements in Targaryen names mean. Just because names share one element doesn't mean one is a male or female version of another. We see Ae and Rhae show up in male and female names. We see -rys show up in male and female names (Naerys, Daenerys, Viserys, Aerys, Jacaerys, Lucerys). Though predominantly women, we see -nys show up in at least one male name (Daenys, Rhaenys, Aenys). Aerion, Aegon, Aenys, Aemma, Aerea, Aerys, Aelora, and Aemon all start with Ae, that doesn't mean they are versions of the same name. Daemon, Daenys, Daenerys, Daella, Daeron, Daena, and Daenora all share Dae, that doesn't mean they are versions of the same name. And so on. Just about the only element that seems to indicate feminine is -a (Visenya, Rhaenyra, Daena, Vaella, Baela, Aelora, Elaena, Viserra, Saera) or -e (Rhaelle, Maegelle).

but like i said, Faegon will be named Aegon VI when he takes the crown. Which admitadely he might not....but if he does make it to King's Landing, He'll more than likely take it, in my opinion.

Has it ever occurred to you that it wasn't Robert he was hiding him from? Robert isn't the one who ordered the prince & princess killed and then shielded the man who murdered them and raped their mother. Sure pardons were given but we don't know the exact circumstances of that. I know its popular to think Robert Baratheon is a really terrible no good shit person on this board but use your head. There is a world of difference between being relieved because an ugly choice was taken out of your hands and actually ordering the deaths of infants in their cribs. Maybe AGoT Robert might have considered it but RR Robert would consider it beneath him. If you can't trust Robert's questionable integrity which I admit is questionable trust his pride and his vanity. Ned would have every reason to think he might be able to talk Robert down. Tywin Lannister on the other hand has already at this point proven himself a child killer and I have no doubt he would start another war just to make sure that the Targaryens never came to power again. Its the only way to make sure they can never revenge themselves on house Lannister.

/edited for crappy spelling

but Robert wouldn't stop it either. Like Ned said, Robert got real good at turning his back to things like child killing. But ultimately you're right the Lannisters are the real threat. Cersei could of convinced Bowen Marsh to betray Jon

And my basis on this theory was strictly after reading the Elder Brother quote. I took the 7 rubies to be from the Targaryan dragon on Rhaegal's breast plate. So I was thinking of which name would be the 7th of the Targaryen Line; and Aegon is the only one to fit

Archived