Waking a dragon from stone

Scootaloo Stark

Just a random thought.

Jon Connington has greyscale, and he hangs around fAegon.

I assume Aegon's a Blackfyre (at least partially), but he could be the real one as well.

What if JonCon infects Aegon with greyscale?

They march forward, winning battle after battle, but they lose the fight against their condition. That'd be a nice storyline.

At some point, the greyscale has spread all over Aegon. He's dying.

Then Melisandre comes and heals him.

Could that be what "waking a dragon from stone" will be?

It says Azor Ahai will wake dragons from stone, not "a dragon will be woken from stone".

so, in your theory, Melisandre would be Azor Ahai.

and there is already a person who has woken dragons from stone - Daenerys Targaryen.

"waking dragons from stone" = hatching dragon eggs

IMO, waking dragons from stone will not be that literal. George has said that he doesn't think prophecy should be too easy or too literal. Thus, I see waking dragons from stone as Jon finding out his true parentage. Extremely similar to Egg in the Novela of the Mystery Knight..

IMO, waking dragons from stone will not be that literal. George has said that he doesn't think prophecy should be too easy or too literal. Thus, I see waking dragons from stone as Jon finding out his true parentage. Extremely similar to Egg in the Novela of the Mystery Knight..

Add to that with Sansa's alias being "Alayne Stone" while in hiding, Rickon hiding out on Skagos which means "stone" in the Old Tongue, Arya hiding Needle under a stone and you have "stone" connected with hiding things, specifically in the Starks' case, things that share a connection with their identities. A dragon in prophecy always refers to a Targaryen in D&E as you touched on. Going by this, we can conclude "stone dragon=hidden Targaryen." 

Add to that with Sansa's alias being "Alayne Stone" while in hiding, Rickon hiding out on Skagos which means "stone" in the Old Tongue, Arya hiding Needle under a stone and you have stone connected with hiding things, specifically in the Starks' case, things can share a connection with their identities. A dragon in prophecy always refers to a Targaryen in D&E as you touched on. Going by this, we can conclude a "stone dragon=hidden Targaryen." 

Where is the mind blown emoji! 😱 nice!!

Add to that with Sansa's alias being "Alayne Stone" while in hiding, Rickon hiding out on Skagos which means "stone" in the Old Tongue, Arya hiding Needle under a stone and you have stone connected with hiding things, specifically in the Starks' case, things can share a connection with their identities. A dragon in prophecy always refers to a Targaryen in D&E as you touched on. Going by this, we can conclude a "stone dragon=hidden Targaryen." 

ut his true parentage. Extremely similar to Egg in the Novela of the Mystery Knight.

Interesting how many stone references are tied into the Stark family. I'd also add in the stone likenesses of Lyanna and the other Starks in the crypts. The crypts have come up too many times - especially in with Jon's dreams - to not be a part of the parentage reveal.

As to the OP, I don't think Aegon/greyscale will have to do with the waking dragons from stone, but I do think the grey plague is going to become a major issue in the near future. War and pestilence do go hand in hand so it only seems natural for a deadly epidemic in Westeros. Also, three words: Stone Men wights. Would they even be vulnerable to fire?

Interesting how many stone references are tied into the Stark family. I'd also add in the stone likenesses of Lyanna and the other Starks in the crypts. The crypts have come up too many times - especially in with Jon's dreams - to not be a part of the parentage reveal.

As to the OP, I don't think Aegon/greyscale will have to do with the waking dragons from stone, but I do think the grey plague is going to become a major issue in the near future. War and pestilence do go hand in hand so it only seems natural for a deadly epidemic in Westeros. Also, three words: Stone Men wights. Would they even be vulnerable to fire?

Agreed. I also think the crypts will be an important aspect. Jon's reoccurring dream will finally be able to be compete if he's dead because he won't be able to wake up when he gets to his usual cut off spot. As for the stone men wights - aren't most of them secluded somewhere? Honestly, I forget which board we're on so I'm mixing show/book. But aren't most of the stone men taken to Volantis?

Some prophecies will not be literal.  Some are. 

I suspect this one is straightforward since it is not really a prophecy but rather an identification for the person who will fulfill the role of Azor Ahai.  Note also that it is plural.  Dragons from stone.

Agreed. I also think the crypts will be an important aspect. Jon's reoccurring dream will finally be able to be compete if he's dead because he won't be able to wake up when he gets to his usual cut off spot. As for the stone men wights - aren't most of them secluded somewhere? Honestly, I forget which board we're on so I'm mixing show/book. But aren't most of the stone men taken to Volantis?

If greyscale breaks out in Westeros and people start turning to stone in the Seven Kingdoms (we don't really know what the effects of the grey plague are - only that it's a swift, fatal virulent "cousin" of grey scale), when the Others invade, they will have stone corpses to raise for their wight army. 

It says Azor Ahai will wake dragons from stone, not "a dragon will be woken from stone".

so, in your theory, Melisandre would be Azor Ahai.

and there is already a person who has woken dragons from stone - Daenerys Targaryen.

Melisandre does not always refer to the dragon part of the prophecy as being "dragons"-

“Only a king’s blood can wake the stone dragon.”

Also, prophecy is not always literate. It can be translated wrong and mixed up over time, especially when so many cultures share the same prophecy. The important thing is that it involves "stone" and "dragon(s)" and "waking" something.

If Dany is Azor Ahai then she goes against the interpretation of Lightbringer being a burning sword and if she is TPtwP then she proves the interpretation of "prince" wrong. There is no reason to assume that Jon (or someone else) can't fulfil the prophecy in a less literate way too, especially when GRRM states-

"Prophecies are, you know, a double edge sword. You have to handle them very carefully; I mean, they can add depth and interest to a book, but you don’t want to be too literal or too easy ..."

I always thought dragon waking from stone means Danny's dragons waking from petrified stone eggs.

This does seem like the most obvious choice.

However, I don't think it excludes another from fulfilling the same requirement in a less literate way.

There is a secret hidden in the stone crypts about to be revealed.

I don't see the need for a greyscale epidemic given we already have the bloody flux. Also, greyscale doesn't have the characteristics of a potential epidemic like the grey plague. 

it was said that there was a dragon egg in the crypt. 

maybe it was also petrified? (or cooked by the hot spring? :))

and ghost will carry Jon Snow back to there and wake the dragon?

jon will finish his dream of walking down into the crypts of winterfell and Ned will tell him about his parentage and he will awake as a targaryen(dragon)

here just read Fire Eaters thread http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/97892-waking-dragon-from-stone-the-reveal-of-rlj/

jon will finish his dream of walking down into the crypts of winterfell and Ned will tell him about his parentage and he will awake as a targaryen(dragon)

here just read Fire Eaters thread http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/97892-waking-dragon-from-stone-the-reveal-of-rlj/

then where is the stone?

and I do not think Ned will literally talk with him. 

There is a secret hidden in the stone crypts about to be revealed.

I don't see the need for a greyscale epidemic given we already have the bloody flux. Also, greyscale doesn't have the characteristics of a potential epidemic like the grey plague. 

Agree on this one. If the prophecy didn't refer to Dany hatching eggs Jon finding out he is a Targ(dragon) in the Crypts(stone) of Winterfell would be likely

Agree on this one. If the prophecy didn't refer to Dany hatching eggs Jon finding out he is a Targ(dragon) in the Crypts(stone) of Winterfell would be likely

is it possible that his dead body was carried back and buried inside the crypts then he reborn from there?

Archived