NBA Season 2015/16 - Currying Favor

Relic

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

God I would hate that. I'd rather see him on the Lakers than that. The Warriors are the one team in the league who doesn't need KD. They're a perfect machine as is. When you're a 70 win team already, adding another superstar packs as much downside risk as upside potential. On paper it's unstoppable. In reality, who knows. 

It's like Lebron going to Miami to win a title except worse. Miami at least wasn't a pre-built Championship team.I'll remain a huge KD fan whatever choice he makes...except that. 

You can see it's all baseless speculation at this point. Just an article written.

Who knows, there may be some truth to it. But no one knows. As far as anyone knows he is sticking with OKC for at least one more year after this one, or several years if chooses to sign the huge contract they will offer him. 

You could see why he'd go to Golden State though. But I doubt it.

18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Talk is cheap, I'll believe that when I see it.  KD would get absolutely pilloried if he left OKC to join what is already the most talented team in the league.  Not to mention that I'm really skeptical that GS could make that salary cap work. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-the-warriors-can-afford-to-sign-kevin-durant-043710075.html

Cap space is not a major issue according to the article I linked.

I will probably start watching NBA again if this happens. 

2 minutes ago, trickster said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-the-warriors-can-afford-to-sign-kevin-durant-043710075.html

Cap space is not a major issue according to the article I linked.

I will probably start watching NBA again if this happens. 

Wait, a team on pace to go 75-7 isn't enough. You need KD thrown in to become interested?

I could see a supermodel hitting on you, man, and you being like "hmm, maybe after a boob job."

26 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Wait, a team on pace to go 75-7 isn't enough. You need KD thrown in to become interested?

I could see a supermodel hitting on you, man, and you being like "hmm, maybe after a boob job."

:)

It is hard for me to watch NBA games in New Zealand, most of the games happen during work hours. I have managed  to catch a few games here and there, especially during the playoffs. 

PS: I have to take Mondays off to watch Football and even that is getting more and more difficult.

5 minutes ago, trickster said:

It is hard for me to watch NBA games in New Zealand, most of the games happen during work hours. I have managed  to catch a few games here and there, especially during the playoffs. 

PS: I have to take Mondays off to watch Football and even that is getting more and more difficult.

Ah, that's right. Forgot you were in New Zealand. 

I'm curious, are you an American in New Zealand or a Kiwi who's just really into these sports? 

24 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Ah, that's right. Forgot you were in New Zealand. 

I'm curious, are you an American in New Zealand or a Kiwi who's just really into these sports? 

Kiwi, fell in love with these sports during my college years in the US. 

8 minutes ago, Bonesy said:

I would have sworn trickster was from like, Sheboygan or something. emoji6.png

Heh, try Kumeu.

33 minutes ago, trickster said:

Kiwi, fell in love with these sports during my college years in the US. 

Heh, try Kumeu.

That's really cool. Have a lot of respect for anyone outside of North America who really invests in these leagues even though games are played at the most awkward times possible. 

10 minutes ago, David Selig said:

I don't get why this article is supposed to be a big deal. All it says is that GSW will probably make a serious effort to get Durant. Given their cap situation and KD's qualities is not surprising at all.

Two reasons. 

1) Mainly because it's from Woj. Wojbombs have an irritating tendency of coming true. His line about the Warriors being "the most intriguing destination" to Durant is based off something. It's just a question who's feeding it to him.

2) Even if re-signing in OKC is the most likely possibility, Golden State moving to the head of the line among other teams trying to lure him away is big. And if he only re-signs for 1 year, we're still in the same situation.

37 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

His line about the Warriors being "the most intriguing destination" to Durant is based off something.

Based off of something like the Warriors being really good at basketball? It seems like an easy statement to make about ANY free agent this off season. 

27 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

That's really cool. Have a lot of respect for anyone outside of North America who really invests in these leagues even though games are played at the most awkward times possible. 

It is really difficult with the time difference and all. 

27 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

1) Mainly because it's from Woj. Wojbombs have an irritating tendency of coming true. His line about the Warriors being "the most intriguing destination" to Durant is based off something. It's just a question who's feeding it to him.

2) Even if re-signing in OKC is the most likely possibility, Golden State moving to the head of the line among other teams trying to lure him away is big. And if he only re-signs for 1 year, we're still in the same situation.

Same here, Woj reporting this gives the story credibility in my eyes. I still think his heart is in OKC; he loves the city and Russ is like a brother to him. But if OKC fails to win the championship this year (I think they lose in the second round against the Spurs), KD will probably have to move if he really wants to win a ring or two. The dubs are young and will probably dominate for the next few years. The spurs are set for post TD era.Then you have Minnesota with KAT and Wiggins. I think KD leaving OKC is a real possibility. And if he takes his talents to the Bay area, I am sure Jim Gray will not be involved in the announcement. 

4 hours ago, Jaime L said:

God I would hate that. I'd rather see him on the Lakers than that. The Warriors are the one team in the league who doesn't need KD. They're a perfect machine as is. When you're a 70 win team already, adding another superstar packs as much downside risk as upside potential. On paper it's unstoppable. In reality, who knows. 

It's like Lebron going to Miami to win a title except worse. Miami at least wasn't a pre-built Championship team.I'll remain a huge KD fan whatever choice he makes...except that. 

Seconded. One of the many things I love about the Warrior's is that they are not some prefabricated superteam. They put this team together the old fashioned way. I hope the Warrior's brass doesn't seriously entertain this possibility.

8 hours ago, trickster said:

It is really difficult with the time difference and all. 

Same here, Woj reporting this gives the story credibility in my eyes. I still think his heart is in OKC; he loves the city and Russ is like a brother to him. But if OKC fails to win the championship this year (I think they lose in the second round against the Spurs), KD will probably have to move if he really wants to win a ring or two. The dubs are young and will probably dominate for the next few years. The spurs are set for post TD era.Then you have Minnesota with KAT and Wiggins. I think KD leaving OKC is a real possibility. And if he takes his talents to the Bay area, I am sure Jim Gray will not be involved in the announcement. 

The question is, if he does leave this summer ( if OKC doesnt reach the final again for instance), which seems unlikely, what team presents a proposition better than what he has in Westbrook and OKC? As far as we know he is very happy there so he'd have to leave because another team presents a better shot at the title. Who does that?

Well, Golden State does. And they could slot him in at SF over Barnes and Iguodala. It could fit.

The Spurs? Not really, with Kahwi and Aldridge already at his position(s).

The Lakers, another rumoured destination? Not unless they get other top players alongside Durant. He's not coming over to play with Russell and Julius Randle I would think.

The Clippers? Maybe if they trade Griffin. Still, it doesn't feel likely that he goes there, what's the upside over OKC.

The Bulls, maybe they could somehow make it. Get rid of Rose, and you'd have a superb tandem in Butler/Durant, find a good PG to go with that.

The Heat have been rumoured. I don't see the fit, or at least not how that is in any way better than OKC.

14 hours ago, Relic said:

Based off of something like the Warriors being really good at basketball? It seems like an easy statement to make about ANY free agent this off season. 

The Warriors weren't even on his list originally. Then they appeared along with the usual suspects, though pretty much in passing. Now they're at the head of the list. 

13 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Seconded. One of the many things I love about the Warrior's is that they are not some prefabricated superteam. They put this team together the old fashioned way. I hope the Warrior's brass doesn't seriously entertain this possibility.

Yeah it's pretty amazing for a team where I can't even name its GM. 

That said, they have to do their due diligence on it. If it's DeMarcus Cousins or James Harden, you're like "fuck off" but because it's KD with his seeming perfect Warriors-made skillset, positional fit and his general unselfishness, you gotta take a long, hard look. They already have Klay and Draymond on max money type contracts for the next few years. Didja know Steph is the 5th highest paid Warrior at the moment? That's gonna change in the next year.

I know the salary cap is gonna blow up, but does that mean a team can now have 4 max guys instead of just 3? And even if so what does that mean for all the critical role players: Barnes (who's likely gone regardless), Igoudala and Livingston? Heck even Bogut and Speights are useful. Every single guy is due a big raise if he wants it. I think this incarnation of the Warriors with great depth and chemistry has at most 1 more year. KD or no, they're gonna have to reload like the late 90s Bulls did with a new supporting roster of critical cogs for a prolonged run of contention. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

They already have Klay and Draymond on max money type contracts for the next few years. Didja know Steph is the 5th highest paid Warrior at the moment? That's gonna change in the next year.

I know the salary cap is gonna blow up, but does that mean a team can now have 4 max guys instead of just 3? And even if so what does that mean for all the critical role players: Barnes (who's likely gone regardless), Igoudala and Livingston? Heck even Bogut and Speights are useful. Every single guy is due a big raise if he wants it. I think this incarnation of the Warriors with great depth and chemistry has at most 1 more year. KD or no, they're gonna have to reload like the late 90s Bulls did with a new supporting roster of critical cogs for a prolonged run of contention. 

Yeah, I think you hit on the key point. I think the thing that truly sets them apart is their bench. I'm in the if it ain't broke, don't fix it camp. I suppose in some ways that it's a nice problem to have, but it just seems like such a pitfall over the long term. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

I know the salary cap is gonna blow up, but does that mean a team can now have 4 max guys instead of just 3? 

No, because max contracts are based on a percentage of the salary cap, not a hard value. As the cap goes up, max contract size goes up.

But at the same time yes, because the cap is going up so much, in a sense it would be possible to have 4 max guys to start because your old max guys are no longer going to actually be max guys anymore until they sign a new contract (Because contracts don't say things like 'will be paid 35% of the value of the salary cap in 2017' they say things like 'will be paid $23 million in 2017'). That's why LeBron, and I think a few other top players, all signed short-term deals recently; so that they don't end up in situations where their max contract no longer actually is.

For the Warriors, Thompson is under max contract through the 18/19 season and Green under a not-quite-but-almost max contract through the 19/20 season. Because both signed their new contracts before completing their 6th year in the league, their max contract is based on 25% of what the salary cap was when they signed it. That's 50% combined (or really, like 47% or something because of Green's non-max) for this season. But because the salary cap is going up from I think around $67 million this season to $89 million next season (and then $108 million the season after that), come next offseason, Thompson and Green's contracts are only going to be taking up like 34% of the salary cap and less than that the season after. Because Durant will be a 10-year veteran, his max contract is 35% of the salary cap, while Steph Curry has one more year under his old contract and then would be eligible for a max contract worth 30% of the salary cap. 

So with a little creative accounting (and the max contract does have a bit of a formula adjusting that percentage anyway), the Warriors could bring in Durant and sign Curry to a max deal. The problem is they'd have almost no money for a 5th starter or a bench (although I don't really understand how the various exemptions work, so maybe they could keep Bogut or Iguodala; I don't think they could have both though). Also, it'd all blow up when Thompson and Green need to get re-signed to new max deals. Maybe it'd be worth it to have the four of them together for 4 seasons, but the Warriors are already so good I'm not sure its worth it.

21 hours ago, trickster said:

I would have never guessed you were a Kiwi. What made you pick the teams you root for?

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I would have never guessed you were a Kiwi. What made you pick the teams you root for?

No rooting interest in NBA, really liked the C-Webb Kings and the Nash era Suns, but I never had a team.

I started following NFL seriously since 1998 (before that, I was mainly a college football fan). Did not want to be a Bandwagon fan. So picked the worst team, the  Colts, and have stuck with them ever since. 

Archived