Nitpicking: The Next Generation

TrackerNeil

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I feel like every Star Trek series would be canceled during season one if they tried to run now.

I'm one of the weirdos who thinks that Season 1 of DS9 is really not all that bad. Having just rewatched it, it's really actually mostly good, with The Storyteller being the only grievously dumb episode of the lot. It's really on the same level of say, Fringe season 1, except the characters on DS9 do a far better job of carrying along some rather humdrum plotting, and it was much, much better than the first season of Agents of Shield.

TNG, on the other hand, I wouldn't see it lasting into its second season these days. That first one is rough.

On 5/11/2016 at 11:17 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I just watched this episode.  

Unlike much of the first season, this episode isn't bad. As I recall, there is a run of decent episodes from "Heart of Glory" that comes to a crashing halt with "We'll Always Have Paris." Ugh.

23 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Unlike much of the first season, this episode isn't bad. As I recall, there is a run of decent episodes from "Heart of Glory" that comes to a crashing halt with "We'll Always Have Paris." Ugh.

The one I like the best in Season 1 is "The Neutral Zone".

36 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The one I like the best in Season 1 is "The Neutral Zone".

I did and I didn't like that one, but I'll say no more. The podcast will air in a months or so and then you'll hear more from me on the topic than you ever wanted to know!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jon AS said:

Huh. I,too, seem to have no memory of ever watching this episode, and I'm fairly certain I've seen every episode of TNG at least once.

Or perhaps your long-term memory decided to send that useless bit of data to the recycle bin. If so, I congratulate your long-term memory on a wise decision.

13 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

Or perhaps your long-term memory decided to send that useless bit of data to the recycle bin. If so, I congratulate your long-term memory on a wise decision.

It has made plenty of dubious decisions over the years to compensate. Those twenty year old Warhammer and Battletech rules for example have very little practical use these days.

I convinced a friend of mine to give TNG a chance and he wants to kill me.  His five year old daughter started watching it on her own and she seems to like it, she's too young to realize how bad the first season is.  I think she has a crush on Wesley, he was the only male character she named when I aaked her favorites.  

7 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I convinced a friend of mine to give TNG a chance and he wants to kill me.  His five year old daughter started watching it on her own and she seems to like it, she's too young to realize how bad the first season is.  I think she has a crush on Wesley, he was the only male character she named when I aaked her favorites.  

Well, it'll be interesting to learn how she likes Conspiracy.:P

On this week's Nitpicking: The Next Generation, Season One goes out not with a bang but with a yawn as the Enterprise learns a not-very-important lesson from a bunch of people who have slept through the last three hundred years. Also, bonus wrap-up episode!

(We're swinging right into Season Two next week--no waiting!)

Enjoyable as always! 

I've always kinda enjoyed The Neutral Zone even though it's not exactly good. Possibly it's because the "not-much-to-redeem-them" 20th century people have fairly interesting - and believable - reactions to their predicaments. It also marks one of if not the first mentions of the Federation's "philosophy of self-enhancement" (to use Nog's terminology). 

The Neutral Zone always had that feel that the writers wanted to start putting a little more mystery and background into the stories, but they just couldn't get the approval to do so, so they tried to be more subtle throwing all kinds of things at the wall in the hopes it could be drawn upon in later times...the Roman return, the mysteriously destroyed bases, sleeper satellites, etc...

I'm excited to announce the new season of Nitpicking: The Next Generation. This week's episode, "The Child", gets Season Two off to an inauspicious start as Deanna Troi suffers a mystic pregnancy. 

On the upside, however, this week also marks the arrival of our first guest commentator, Jill Neff, whom some will remember from this very board. We'll have several guests this season, to help us discuss various episodes. Tune in!

Archived