Dany's Hand of the Queen

Roswell

Queen Daenerys will eventually take back Westeros and rule over a continent recovering from a long winter.  She will have to pick a Hand of the Queen at some point, likely one of the first appointees of the new small council.

1. Who would you choose from this list?  (Jorah, Barristan, Tyrion, Mace Tyrell, Margaery Tyrell, Barbrey Dustin, Archmaester Marwyn) . 
  2. Assuming Kingslanding is in ruins upon her arrival, where would the temporary capital be located?  Lannisport?  Starfall?
  3. The North will suffer the most from the Others.  Would you help the North rebuild?  Under what terms would you agree to give them aid?
  4. Assuming Roose Bolton fought bravely to defend the North as best as any man could do, would you let him remain Lord Paramount and Warden of the North if he bends knee and recognizes  the return of the dragon and her right to rule?

1. Marge Tyrell is an interesting choice.  But, I would go with Marwyn.  The noble families will have been weakened by the winter and the choice, therefore, need not be political.  Marwyn has knowledge that would be useful. 
  2. Kingslanding is the perfect location.  Close to Essos and ready to receive shipments of grain and supplies.  Run the government from the ruins of the red keep if necessary.
  3. That would depend on the north and its attitude.  They have to bend the knee like Torrhen did.  That's fealty that any ruler would ask for.  If they bend the knee and reswear fealty they will get help.
  4. Sure.  Roose is as capable as Ned.  He would have to do something about Ramsay.  Walda births a baby boy that would turn out like Domeric.  Not a bad choice at all.

Queen Daenerys will eventually take back Westeros and rule over a continent recovering from a long winter. She will have to pick a Hand of the Queen at some point, likely one of the first appointees of the new small council.

1. Who would you choose from this list? (Jorah, Barristan, Tyrion, Mace Tyrell, Margaery Tyrell, Barbrey Dustin, Archmaester Marwyn) .
  2. Assuming Kingslanding is in ruins upon her arrival, where would the temporary capital be located? Lannisport? Starfall?
  3. The North will suffer the most from the Others. Would you help the North rebuild? Under what terms would you agree to give them aid?
  4. Assuming Roose Bolton fought bravely to defend the North as best as any man could do, would you let him remain Lord Paramount and Warden of the North if he bends knee and recognizes the return of the dragon and her right to rule?

It all depends who her allies are. Given that Margaery has twice been Queen, I think it would be awkward to keep her as Hand.

It's going to be Tyrion I think.  She needs someone a bit more scheming and ruthless than she is, and while Tyrion will not be respected/loved by the people, that's not necessary for a hand.  "The hand takes the shit" and all that.

Meanwhile Daenerys herself so far attracts almost deity-like loyalty from followers and she has loads of personal charisma. Assuming whatever she does to take the throne isn't so terrible as to sour all of Westeros to her I think she will be loved  sufficiently to make up for Tyrions total lack thereof.

2. Big assumption there.  Personally I think she'd use Dragonstone if KL is completely unusable.  But she'd probably try to use KL.

3. She should help anyone who is willing to join the 7k.  I assume the north and Dany will be fighting side by side against the Others and are natural allies.  I don't believe in Northern independence/GNC.  I think the northerners will gladly rejoin the 7k as long as a Stark is in Winterfell, and assuming Dany disavows Aerys and gets rid of the Lannisters. 

4. Not gonna happen.  Jon, Sansa, or Rickon will be leader in the north when Dany gets there.  In the unlikely event Roose fights bravely against the others (lol) then sure she should pardon him, or let the Northern lords decide his fate.  But, she should reinstate the Stark with the best claim on WF, which will be Jon, Sansa, or Rickon depending on the political circumstances as warden.  After all Roose claim as warden relies on Tywin Lannisters orders and in reality will not stand to local political pressure if a Stark lives.

Barristan, a man is respected and every King desires him in KG, Renly even saved a cloak for him. He is wise, can give goos advices and loyal (very important).

Oldtown, she can draw a paralel between her and Aegon.

If they bend the knee they will recieve every help they ask.

Of course not, he fights for his life againt Others. He betrayed two Kings (Joff when he supported Robb and Robb when he saw yhe cant win). And who is his heir? Oh yes, most hated man iny the North. Winterfell needs a Stark and North needs a Stark, too. This is tradition and I will respect it.

1.  Tyrion's my hand.  I want a schemer.  I keep Barristan and Marwyn on as advisors, even if they aren't on the small council.  In particular, she can give Barristan a major free hand in dealing with things.

2.  Darry:  It's on the King's Road, close to both the High Road and the River Road.  I can base the navy close by, on the Trident, in either Maidenpool or Wickenden.  The 7K are going to be recovering from a rough winter, and the fight against the Others could still be taking place.  With the intersection of roads and a major river, Darry is a logical place to centralize a major logistics effort.

3.  Are you kidding?  The major struggle isn't going to be to win the Iron Throne, the major struggle is going to be against the Others.  If they agree to reunification, I'm giving them every bit of support I can scrape up!

4.  It depends on the political climate.  If there are capable Starks available, they get the job.  If the north absolutely hates the man, I can find other ways of utilizing him...assuming he can assure his loyalty.

2 hours ago, The Transporter said:

Queen Daenerys will eventually take back Westeros and rule over a continent recovering from a long winter.  She will have to pick a Hand of the Queen at some point, likely one of the first appointees of the new small council.

1. Who would you choose from this list?  (Jorah, Barristan, Tyrion, Mace Tyrell, Margaery Tyrell, Barbrey Dustin, Archmaester Marwyn) . 
  2. Assuming Kingslanding is in ruins upon her arrival, where would the temporary capital be located?  Lannisport?  Starfall?
  3. The North will suffer the most from the Others.  Would you help the North rebuild?  Under what terms would you agree to give them aid?
  4. Assuming Roose Bolton fought bravely to defend the North as best as any man could do, would you let him remain Lord Paramount and Warden of the North if he bends knee and recognizes  the return of the dragon and her right to rule?

1. I don't know why Jorah, Mace, Margaery and Barbrey Dustin are even options here. Barristan is a good adviser, but probably not the most efficient Hand. From this list, Tyrion is the obvious choice. However, I am not convinced that Dany will ever rule Westeros.

2. I would probably choose Harrenhal. The only great castle without a great house owning it. It has enough room for three dragons.

3. Of course, I would. I would not give them real independence, if I don't have to, but if I have to, I do.

4. No way. Roose Bolton is among the worst of traitors. You can pardon enemies, but you can't pardon traitors. He will bei seized and executed. (Anyway, Roose won't be bravely defending anything.)

1 hour ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

It's going to be Tyrion I think.  She needs someone a bit more scheming and ruthless than she is, and while Tyrion will not be respected/loved by the people, that's not necessary for a hand.  "The hand takes the shit" and all t

Yeah,he has experience.  He killed his dad but Tywin isn't really loved outside of Casterly Rock.  Tyrion should get the job.

Meanwhile Daenerys herself so far attracts almost deity-like loyalty from followers and she has loads of personal charisma. Assuming whatever she does to take the throne isn't so terrible as to sour all of Westeros to her I think she will be loved  sufficiently to make up for Tyrions total lack thereof.

I agree.  There is one sticking point and that is the followers of Rhllor.  I don't think the Faith and Rhllor would mix.  That's like mixing bleach and ammonia > bad idea.  Dany will have to ditch one in favor of the other.

2. Big assumption there.  Personally I think she'd use Dragonstone if KL is completely unusable.  But she'd probably try to use KL.

Agree again.  Dragonstone.  Back to where it all began.  Dany is Aegon the Conqueror.  It fits the plot line.

1 hour ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

3. She should help anyone who is willing to join the 7k.  I assume the north and Dany will be fighting side by side against the Others and are natural allies.  I don't believe in Northern independence/GNC.  I think the northerners will gladly rejoin the 7k as long as a Stark is in Winterfell, and assuming Dany disavows Aerys and gets rid of the Lannisters. 

My opinion, they owe her their fealty.  She is the daughter of House Targaryen and Aegon the Conqueror reincarnated.  Torrhen knelt and bound the North to serve the Targaryens.  They should kneel and receive aid to rebuild their farms/homes.

4. Not gonna happen.  Jon, Sansa, or Rickon will be leader in the north when Dany gets there.  In the unlikely event Roose fights bravely against the others (lol) then sure she should pardon him, or let the Northern lords decide his fate.  But, she should reinstate the Stark with the best claim on WF, which will be Jon, Sansa, or Rickon depending on the political circumstances as warden.  After all Roose claim as warden relies on Tywin Lannisters orders and in reality will not stand to local political pressure if a Stark lives.

That depends on Roose.  If he finally wakes up and realizes he needs to fight the Others and does so bravely.  I don't see why not.  I can argue that Robb was driving the north to ruin and Roose sort of saved the north.  Jon did the north no favors when he attacked the Boltons using Mance Rayder.  I don't have a problem with Roose remaining Warden of the North if he can prove his loyalty and administer the North on behalf of the new Iron Throne.  I'm not loyal to the Starks.

No one in the list is perfect, but I think I would choose Jorah.

Other than creeping on her, he generally gives good advice and no one can question his loyalty. While his birth and his past could be a problem, she would have a man she could trust as a hand.

Barristan is a honourable man but too soft. He hesitates to tell she is wrong when she makes mistakes. This makes him not really suitable.

I would never trust Tyrion though he might be the most suitable person for handship.

Mace is an oaf. Margaery has the right birth and good PR skills but I doubt she would care only about making her house powerful. 

Barbrey is an interesting choice. She would make a great counsellor but not a Hand.

Marwyn is shady. Can't be trusted. 

For Capital why not build a new city and call it Queen's Landing? Good for the economy of Westeros.

The North is a part of seven kingdoms and so no condition is needed to rebuild it. 

No Roose shouldn't be let to be LP even if he fought well. First it would be legitimising usurpation of power. Second the North under Boltons will have so much unrests as other lords might not be happy under him.

Hand of the Queen - depends on how soon this happens; my guess is, it won't happen until decades later when spring returns.  Missandei would have grown by then.  I'm picking Missandei. 

Lannisport - Tear down Casterly Rock and build a new city over its ruins.

North - help them if they bend the knee, if they don't bend the knee they get no help.

Roose can't be trusted.  Then again, neither can the Starks.  I say, marry Sansa to a legitimized Darry bastard or a loyal Martell.  Then she can be the Lady of Winterfell, wardeness of the north.

20 minutes ago, Lame Lothar Frey said:

Hand of the Queen - depends on how soon this happens; my guess is, it won't happen until decades later when spring returns.  Missandei would have grown by then.  I'm picking Missandei. 

I mean, missandei is both smart and trustworthy but she knows NOTHING about Westerosi politics.  Dany really needs someone who knows Weateros to be her hand, since she herself does not.  Ideally someone who has recentlytraveled to most of the 7k (and has a dragon, too). :) 

I think Missandei should rule Danys emerging Essosi empire in her absence.  

Lannisport - Tear down Casterly Rock and build a new city over its ruins.

North - help them if they bend the knee, if they don't bend the knee they get no help.

Roose can't be trusted.  Then again, neither can the Starks.  I say, marry Sansa to a legitimized Darry bastard or a loyal Martell.  Then she can be the Lady of Winterfell, wardeness of the north.

Why can't the Starks be trusted?  Dany doesn't know any of them, and I would take some ridiculously terrible writing not to have her know about what Aerys did to the Starks before se takes the throne.  if she wants stability in the north, she absolutely needs a Stark.  Even Stannis - far less flexible than Dany in such matters - comes to understand this.  Sansa is not a bad option, but she should be won over personally and allowed to choose her own suitor, as her high status as Lady Stark would warrant.  

On 3/11/2016 at 10:50 AM, The Transporter said:

I think Dany will choose a Hand long before she gets to Westeros. If the Dothraki follow her she'll have to go overland as far as possible, and that's a long trip, with many things to deal with in between such as Volantis and Pentos.

TBH the only viable Hand option I see for Dany is Tyrion. And that seems to be what GRRM is setting up.  I also think there is a lot of foreshadowing of Tyrion betraying Dany during the Dance 2.0, and that will have the most impact if he becomes her trusted Hand first.

1. Assuming Kingslanding is in ruins upon her arrival, where would the temporary capital be located?  Lannisport?  Starfall?

I do think there is a strong chance that Dany's first base in Westeros could be Starfall. But I think it's too small to be considered a temporary capital. She may do something like Aegon the Conquerer and set up her own Dany-fort somewhere.

Althernately, I've thought that she might have a sort of floating capital. She's going to need a crapton of ships, barges, and whatever she can get to ferry her followers across the Narrow Sea. I could see this fleet perhaps remaining her temporary capital, giving her greater mobility and causing less of a burden on wherever she needs to alight. The fleet would still need to take on a lot of supplies, but there would be no need to force anyone to house them for long periods, and less risk of her troops going around and misbehaving themselves during downtime.

1. The North will suffer the most from the Others.  Would you help the North rebuild?  Under what terms would you agree to give them aid?

I think she'll see the North as her people as much as any other region. Yes, I think she'll help them rebuild. All that "usurper's dogs" stuff is going to get buried under some fresher history, I think.

1. Assuming Roose Bolton fought bravely to defend the North as best as any man could do, would you let him remain Lord Paramount and Warden of the North if he bends knee and recognizes  the return of the dragon and her right to rule?

Pfft. No. :P

Lady Sansa will rebuild Winterfell and be Wardeness of the North!

Alternately...I think the 7 Kingdoms might be geopolitically very different when all is said and done. If Westeros naturally fractures back into 7 or more distinct kingdoms during the winter/Long Night, I think Dany will be content to leave it that way. Ruling is not her favorite thing, just a duty she's felt compelled to take on. And I think her black pearl symbolism indicates she will never be the official ruler of Westeros. She may just save the day and then return to her floating capital in the tradition of the ancient Fisher Queens of the Silver Sea. Especially if all her dragons and several people close to her are killed.

2 hours ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

I mean, missandei is both smart and trustworthy but she knows NOTHING about Westerosi politics.  Dany really needs someone who knows Weateros to be her hand, since she herself does not.  Ideally someone who has recentlytraveled to most of the 7k (and has a dragon, too). :) 

I think Missandei should rule Danys emerging Essosi empire in her absence.  

Why can't the Starks be trusted?  Dany doesn't know any of them, and I would take some ridiculously terrible writing not to have her know about what Aerys did to the Starks before se takes the throne.  if she wants stability in the north, she absolutely needs a Stark.  Even Stannis - far less flexible than Dany in such matters - comes to understand this.  Sansa is not a bad option, but she should be won over personally and allowed to choose her own suitor, as her high status as Lady Stark would warrant.  

I think Missandei would be best suited as the Queen's secretary, or some scholarly role (maybe Mistress of Laws) if Dany wins.

34 minutes ago, Blind Beth the Cat Lady said:

I think Dany will choose a Hand long before she gets to Westeros. If the Dothraki follow her she'll have to go overland as far as possible, and that's a long trip, with many things to deal with in between such as Volantis and Pentos.

She needs someone in Westeros.

Your list is specifically limited. Of them, Marwyn.

Would Daenerys actually prefer Doran?

On 3/12/2016 at 8:50 AM, The Transporter said:

1: Tyrion

2: Jon and Daenerys will rule from Harrenhal

3: They will rebuild because Jon will see to it

4:the Boltons will be long dead before any of this happens

But why Tyrion? You are Westerosi lord, you fought for Targs for example, you are sick of Lannisters (this is the best proTarg scenario, dont think Swanns or Umbers will die for Targ cause), you have an alternative: son of prince Rheagar and crown is his by rights and he has Golden company backing him which is the best mercenary company and significant part of it are Westerosi. On the other hand you have his aunt, so by Targ laws she is below him, she has army of enuch former slaves, probably some Dotrakhi savages who are active slavers who rape and pillage, she also has 3 dragons that will very soon start to terrorise Westeros because she does not know how to handle them and she made entire Essos hate her which will cause trouble because after war and winter upcoming Westeros will have to trade with them. These things are not immediatly familliar but everyone will know how wild she is soon ehough.

So if she is kinda foreigner she really has to surround her with best people and Tyrion maybe might serve in SC, but after everything I listed if she has kinslaying kingslaying demon monkey as a Hand.... well that would just be too much.

Simillar goes with Jorah, he is a slaver and he escaped justice.

Barristan seems the only smart thing, everyone respects him, he is capable, expirienced, loyal and kinda smart.

37 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

But why Tyrion? You are Westerosi lord, you fought for Targs for example, you are sick of Lannisters (this is the best proTarg scenario, dont think Swanns or Umbers will die for Targ cause), you have an alternative: son of prince Rheagar and crown is his by rights and he has Golden company backing him which is the best mercenary company and significant part of it are Westerosi. On the other hand you have his aunt, so by Targ laws she is below him, she has army of enuch former slaves, probably some Dotrakhi savages who are active slavers who rape and pillage, she also has 3 dragons that will very soon start to terrorise Westeros because she does not know how to handle them and she made entire Essos hate her which will cause trouble because after war and winter upcoming Westeros will have to trade with them. These things are not immediatly familliar but everyone will know how wild she is soon ehough.

So if she is kinda foreigner she really has to surround her with best people and Tyrion maybe might serve in SC, but after everything I listed if she has kinslaying kingslaying demon monkey as a Hand.... well that would just be too much.

Simillar goes with Jorah, he is a slaver and he escaped justice.

Barristan seems the only smart thing, everyone respects him, he is capable, expirienced, loyal and kinda smart.

For those looking at Dany through the lens you describe, it won't matter who her Hand is.

Archived