Dany's Hand of the Queen

Roswell

6 hours ago, Blind Beth the Cat Lady said:

Tyrion might play pretty well in Dorne. The Red Viper obviously thought he was innocent, he offed Tywin the Terrible, and his niece has made a good impression.

Oberyn didn't care if Tyrion was guilty or innocent. He just wanted a chance to kill Gergor, and that opportunity presented itself.

1) It would have to be Tyrion. He has the knowledge and experience of Westeros that the rest of her inner circle would be lacking. Jorah, while being mr exposition for the reader, is too rigid and inflexible to be a good hand. Barristan is wonderful at getting things done, but terrible at figuring out what to do and likewise would be too inflexible for the position. Margaery? Queen Margaery? No, she's gotta go before she marries a Blackfyre pretender or something. Barbarey doesn't even have much influence in the North, much less the rest of the realm. Merwyn? He'd probably be fine as Grand Maester but let's face it, the Hand is a political appointment.

2) Hold court in the ruins of King's Landing. It will be a reminder of those who would seek to plot against Dany. Plus someone in her inner circle has to supervise the rebuilding of the city, and that's probably going ot fall to her Hand.

3) Would I? Probably. Would Dany? I can't see it. The Starks were the Usurper's dogs and the rest of the North followed.

4) If the Boltons actively aided her in reestablishing her dynasty, I could actually see Dany doing this. Roose was always discreet enough about his flaying and such to maintain plausible deniability about his darker natures. Especially if Ramsay's out of the picture by this time.

13 hours ago, Ser Hyle said:

I believe the question was "Hand of the Queen" not "Fingers for the Queen" *juvenile laughter*

LMAO; gold.

On the subject of the North bending the knee, with Wildlings being given a place in the North and likely spreading throughout the Region and more and more Wildlings becoming part of Northern houses through marriage, Dany may find it impossible to subjegate a people whose motto is "we do not Kneel".

1 hour ago, KINGpanther said:

On the subject of the North bending the knee, with Wildlings being given a place in the North and likely spreading throughout the Region and more and more Wildlings becoming part of Northern houses through marriage, Dany may find it impossible to subjegate a people whose motto is "we do not Kneel".

And yet the wildlings had kings from time to time. They may not kneel, and most don't care for bloodlines (the Thenns, who bound themselves through marriage to a northern house, actually seem to care), but they do respect and follow strengh. If Dany wins the IT, she likely has as least one dragon, so there is strength to follow.

I kind of see Dany come along with the wildlings better than with the "civilised" northern houses :dunno: I mean, Dany did become strong among "savages" before and she just created a "free folk".

On 3/11/2016 at 1:42 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

My opinion, they owe her their fealty.  She is the daughter of House Targaryen and Aegon the Conqueror reincarnated.  Torrhen knelt and bound the North to serve the Targaryens.  They should kneel and receive aid to rebuild their farms/homes.

But, but, Dany is Aegon The Conqueror Reincarnated!!!!. LOL. Jimmy Crack Corn and no one cares.

Dany would have to be a mighty big jackass to go up North and start demanding their fealty because she is allegedly 'owed' its fealty.

Could somebody be a bigger jackass, given the circumstances? Probably not, unless they got accepted into a top tier jackass graduate program, and then worked several years as a jackass, did several empirical studies about jackassery and wrote papers about it, and, generally, spent most of their waking hours thinking about how to be a jackass, honing their jackass skills to a very fine razor sharp edge.

Here is a tip: Aegon The Conqueror was kind of an asshole. See, generally, his invasion of Dorne.

Can I ask, does the idea that Dany is 'Aegon The Conqueror Reborn' and hence Dany is 'owed' the fealty of the North and the Starks just another manifestation of Khaleesi Just War Theory?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

You can argue that there may be good reasons for the North to swear fealty to Dany. You can argue that Dany/North alliance might bring benefits to both sides. That maybe true. But, it is outright preposterous to assert that Dany is 'owed' fealty from the North and the Starks. Not after Aerys.

If I was queen Danny Id move my capital city from KL to Casterly Rock. The Westerlands are rich, very difficult to invade and their people know what dragons can do. This would be my team. 

Husband: Willas Tyrell - He's brilliant, a good man and he's heir of one of the richest and more fertile lands in Westeros. A match between Willas and Danny would bring the Reach back into the fold

Hand of the King - Jon Snow. These are times of war and Jon Snow knows what war is expecially against the others. I would appoint Jon Stark (I would legitimise the boy) as Lord of the Dreadfort and have him appointed as Lord Protector of the North until Rickon/Bran come to age. Hopefully that would bring the North back into the fold. 

Master of Coin - Tyrion Lannister. He's the upgraded version of daddy. A man sharingTywin's brilliance but not his cruelty.

Master of Law - Aegon Targeryan. The boy is family and will be treated as so as long as he bends the knee. His experience as a commoner will help a great deal in his new role

Master of Whispers - Varys. He's a decent man and he's a veteran in his role. 

Master of Ships - Euron Greyjoy no one knows the seas more than a Greyjoy.

Grand Meister -  Gormon. It will further consolidate the relationship between Tyrells and Targs

KG:

Lord Commander - Selmy
KG1 - Jamie Lannister (pardoned)
KG2 - Brienne
KG3 - Balon Swann
kG4 - Grey Worm
KG5 - Belwas
KG6 - Jorah Mormont

Id also add two other roles that of high councillor and that of head of the assassin guild. The former would be a mix of Master of Whispers and Grand Meister (Id hire Melisandre) and the latter would support the KG in protecting the queen (they will also cover roles like cup bearers and food tasters) and act as the queen's hitmen if needed. The role would be given to Arya Stark.

Lord Paramounts

North: Bran/Rickon (protector Jon Snow Lord of the Dreadfort)
Riverlands: Edmure, the twins are given to Brynden Tully, 
Vale: Sweet Robin (protector Yohn Royce)
Stormlands: Aegon Targeryan
The land of hundred kingdoms (former Crownlands): Tyrion Lannister, Tommen and Margaery would get Dragonstone. 
The South - Dorran Martell
Reach: Mace Tyrell (Garlan inherits the Florent lands)

1 hour ago, OldGimletEye said:

Dany would have to be a mighty big jackass to go up North and start demanding their fealty because she is allegedly 'owed' its fealty.

Could somebody be a bigger jackass, given the circumstances? Probably not, unless they got accepted into a top tier jackass graduate program, and then worked several years as a jackass, did several empirical studies about jackassery and wrote papers about it, and, generally, spent most of their waking hours thinking about how to be a jackass, honing their jackass skills to a very fine razor sharp edge.

Here is a tip: Aegon The Conqueror was kind of an asshole. See, generally, his invasion of Dorne.

Can I ask, does the idea that Dany is 'Aegon The Conqueror Reborn' and hence Dany is 'owed' the fealty of the North and the Starks just another manifestation of Khaleesi Just War Theory?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

You can argue that there may be good reasons for the North to swear fealty to Dany. You can argue that Dany/North alliance might bring benefits to both sides. That maybe true. But, it is outright preposterous to assert that Dany is 'owed' fealty from the North and the Starks. Not after Aerys.

No. It´s not "preposterous".

The basic assumption of government is that the governed owe loyalty to government whatever the government has done. Some governed may not like that assumption, and a few governments even pay lip service to some right of some governed to change their mind, but most of them in practice don´t allow them to.

Robert´s position was that Reach, Dorne and Iron Islands owed him fealty because he is Targaryen descendant and now the lawful King. Renly´s position was that Robb owed to bend him knee because Renly now was King of all Seven Kingdoms. Stannis´ position is that all Seven Kingdoms owed him fealty because he is the rightful heir of Robert. Both Aegon and Daenerys declare themselves the rightful heir of Aerys over all Seven Kingdoms, no exceptions.

If they address Aerys at all, they may be willing to offer redress of grievances as in not repeat his errors. But that provided the former subjects of Aerys submit to them.

The current Queen's Hand is doing just fine.  Barristan Selmy. 

King's Landing can be rebuilt.  It's quicker to rebuild than build from scratch.  She can bring advanced building knowledge from Essos along with skilled craftsmen. 

Help the north?  That depends on the north.  They have to kneel first and swear to obey my laws before I give them food.

Roose isn't trustworthy and neither is Ramsay.  Let's hope Lady Walda births a son. 

I think it is a major assumption that Dany will conquer, much less rule with enough peacetime to choose a Hand.

That being said, I think the office of the Hand should be dealt away with. It has been the downfall of too many rulers and not especially healthy for the Hands either. Why not just have a High Council? 

11 hours ago, Sydney Mae said:

Help the north?  That depends on the north.  They have to kneel first and swear to obey my laws before I give them food.

Roose isn't trustworthy and neither is Ramsay.  Let's hope Lady Walda births a son. 

That´s little help. Walda´s son is not adult for some time, and neither is "Arya"´s.

An important fact if Daenerys wins anything, including Iron Throne, is that untrustworthy traitors will be on her side. We already saw it with Yunkai - Brown Ben Plumm and Second Sons were on Daenerys´ side because they are evil treacherous gits and betrayed Yunkai because Daenerys looked like winning, and Daenerys won because Brown Ben Plumm betrayed Yunkai. There will necessarily be more of this in Westeros. Roose Bolton, late Walder Frey, Petyr Baelish, Aurane Waters, Greyjoys... some of them may be committed at the wrong side or pick wrong side, but some of them will betray her enemies because they are treacherous and she looks like winning, and she will win thanks to her enemies being betrayed by some quite evil traitors.

Daenerys will have to figure out how to treat the weathervanes to whom she owes her throne.

Archived