US Elections: Ted Cruz, F, Marry, or Kill

Martell Spy

Anyway, didn't notice anything about it last thread but re: Sanders and his campaign and the Democratic primary, this was from a day or two ago:

http://www.shakesville.com/2016/03/this-is-getting-real-old-sanders.html

(This was sadly the best link I could find with transcripts. You can completely ignore the commentary outside that since it doesn't matter and I barely read any of it. Just watch the video if you so chose.)

Uygur: Now, a lot of people in the—in the movement have decided that you are their leader, partly because you're running for president, but, you know, you look at some recent polls of millennials, ah, they have you as by far the most popular politician, but they actually have you as more popular as a person they'd like to meet above Beyoncé, okay? [Sanders belly-laughs] Now that's a hell of a thing, right?

Sanders: Yes!

Uyger: But! You have convinced them that Hillary Clinton is the establishment candidate. If you were to lose, and the Democratic Party comes to you and says, "Okay, now take this movement, that is full of energy and is against the establishment, and make sure they vote for the establishment candidate," what do you say?

Sanders: Well, you know, what I say— Number One, I'm not big into [air quotes] being a leader. You know, I much prefer to see a lot of leaders, a lot of grassroots activism. Number Two, what we do is together, as a nation, as a growing movement, is we say, "All right, if we don't win"—and, by the way, we are in this thing to win; please understand that—"what is the Democratic establishment gonna do for us?"

Uyger: Oh, that's interesting.

Sanders: All right, for example: Right now, you have a Democratic establishment which has written off half the states in this country, you know that?

Uyger: Mm-hmm.

Sanders: And they've given up on the slate in the South, the Rocky Mountain area—are they gonna create a 50-state party? Are they gonna welcome into the Democratic Party the working class of this country and young people, or is it gonna be a party of the upper middle class and the cocktail crowd and the heavy campaign contributors? Which to a significant degree it is right now. You know, I've talked to Democratic Party leaders and said, "You know what? Instead of going around and raising all kinds of money from wealthy people, why don'tcha meet in some football stadium and bring out fifty, a hundred thousand people; bring the damn Senate in there, Senate Democrats, and start talking to people—ask them what they want you to do. How about that?" Better? Radical? So, in other words, if I can't make it, and we're gonna try as hard as we can 'til the last vote is cast, we wanna completely revitalize the Democratic Party, and make it a party of the people, rather than just one of large campaign contributors.

There's alot to unpack there but frankly, ,my opinion of Sanders is rapidly diminishing with every week this shit goes on.

The most obvious thing here is his whole "Fuck party unity in the general election" bullshit, which he's passing off with both a "I'm not a leader" excuse (You're running for President, Sanders. You're a fucking leader.) followed by a demand for concessions just to support the party's nominee. The whole thing really colours his "We're taking this all the way to the convention" position less as a chance to get his message out and more as just another part of what at this point seems a real honest strategy of Clinton being horrible and screw the Democratic party in general. It seems indicative of the general direction he's taking this campaign and it's a real shitty one.

The second interesting thing to note there, especially if one has been looking at what Sanders was saying previously, is that he's still pushing the "Let's get those white-working class votes!" strategy. Which, when he has talked about it in depth previously, is predicated on downplaying social issues like equal rights for minorities and women in favour of economic issues to secure support from those white voters. ("And I think what people end up saying is that, well, you know, I may disagree with Bernie Sanders on the abortion issue or the gay rights issue, but I know he’s fighting for me and my kids. And I happen to believe that if you are strong on those issues people will give you a little bit of slack on some of the other issues that you may disagree with." http://www.vox.com/2016/1/28/10853502/bernie-sanders-political-revolution)

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Hear! Hear! This election cycle has been brought to you by our friends at Go Daddy.com, Schlitz Malt Liquor, The National Enquirer and Trump University.  

Katrina Pierson and Amanda Carpenter are rumored mistresses of Ted Cruz.  Both are way out of his league.

Sanders likely wins all three today. Clinton still likely nominee.  Remember Sanders has had zero attack ads against him and he would get killed in the general.

It's not about winning these states - it's about winning big for sanders.

Which he's doing. He had fairly lofty goals but is so far meeting them.

Alaska is also in the mid+40 range. 

Note that later reporting might help Clinton - Spokane and the like.

7 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Anyway, didn't notice anything about it last thread but re: Sanders and his campaign and the Democratic primary, this was from a day or two ago:

http://www.shakesville.com/2016/03/this-is-getting-real-old-sanders.html

(This was sadly the best link I could find with transcripts. You can completely ignore the commentary outside that since it doesn't matter and I barely read any of it. Just watch the video if you so chose.)

There's alot to unpack there but frankly, ,my opinion of Sanders is rapidly diminishing with every week this shit goes on.

The most obvious thing here is his whole "Fuck party unity in the general election" bullshit, which he's passing off with both a "I'm not a leader" excuse (You're running for President, Sanders. You're a fucking leader.) followed by a demand for concessions just to support the party's nominee. The whole thing really colours his "We're taking this all the way to the convention" position less as a chance to get his message out and more as just another part of what at this point seems a real honest strategy of Clinton being horrible and screw the Democratic party in general. It seems indicative of the general direction he's taking this campaign and it's a real shitty one.

The second interesting thing to note there, especially if one has been looking at what Sanders was saying previously, is that he's still pushing the "Let's get those white-working class votes!" strategy. Which, when he has talked about it in depth previously, is predicated on downplaying social issues like equal rights for minorities and women in favour of economic issues to secure support from those white voters. ("And I think what people end up saying is that, well, you know, I may disagree with Bernie Sanders on the abortion issue or the gay rights issue, but I know he’s fighting for me and my kids. And I happen to believe that if you are strong on those issues people will give you a little bit of slack on some of the other issues that you may disagree with." http://www.vox.com/2016/1/28/10853502/bernie-sanders-political-revolution)

I suggest you read that again.

He said working class, not white working class. It's tempting to insert the word white here, because that's the folks who are voting for him. But for Sanders working class is working class. No matter of race, or sex. The other part about screw party unity, I thought we kinda touched that issue in the other thread. Sanders is running on program and personal integrity. Without getting the Democrats to move a good step to the left, Sanders would sell out (well more give away for free) both his political selling points. 

If he blindly endorsed Clinton, just because she is a Democrat, and not because she has picked up important bits of his program, that would more likely upset that movement he is leading at the moment. Sanders whole campaign is more or less a single issue thing (economy and financial inequality), so there is not really much other stuff he can make a trade off in order to cut Clinton some slack.

19 minutes ago, Notone said:

I suggest you read that again.

He said working class, not white working class. It's tempting to insert the word white here, because that's the folks who are voting for him. But for Sanders working class is working class. No matter of race, or sex.

I suggest you read it again. He says working class. He means white people. This is not foreign ground for him, as I pointed out with the later link. Nor it is hard to figure out anyway since who else do you think he could be talking about? Working-class not-whites already essentially all vote Democratic Party.

You are kidding yourself and ignoring everything he's ever previously said on this issue and ignoring the demographics of the democratic party base if you think he's talking about anything but working-class white folk.

21 minutes ago, Notone said:

The other part about screw party unity, I thought we kinda touched that issue in the other thread. Sanders is running on program and personal integrity. Without getting the Democrats to move a good step to the left, Sanders would sell out (well more give away for free) both his political selling points. 

If he blindly endorsed Clinton, just because she is a Democrat, and not because she has picked up important bits of his program, that would more likely upset that movement he is leading at the moment. Sanders whole campaign is more or less a single issue thing (economy and financial inequality), so there is not really much other stuff he can make a trade off in order to cut Clinton some slack.

Yes, it would upset his followers because as this whole exchange shows, that's what he's teaching them. That's the message he's pushing. That's the whole point. He's trying to absolve himself of responsibility for the issue too, with his whole "I'm not a leader" bullshit.

Sanders is running for the leadership of the Democratic party on the platform that they and their people are indelibly corrupt and does not seem to have any intention of backing down on that to actually support the party itself once he's lost. Which is fairly shitty, frankly. Stinks of sore loser and is not good for the future prospects of later leftist/progressive movements within the party since he's energizing a base and then sending them off home bitter and disaffected. You wanna change shit, you need those people involved.

Though it ain't like he's been doing much on that front anyway, considering he's still not supporting other progressive candidates downticket afaik.

I am so happy that Bill Maher has seen the light. Bill is an old school Liberal and they are a dying breed. They are dying to modern liberalism which has done nothing but make people weak and look for safe spaces. 

Getting triggered by just seeing a Trump chalksign shows how destructive and regressive liberalism has become. Liberalism will truly be the death of free speech. 

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/maher-blasts-emory-students-triggered-by-trump-i-want-to-dropkick-these-kids/

Bill Maher tonight went off on the Emory University students who whined about feeling “triggered” by the mere appearance of Donald Trump‘s name in chalk on campus.

Maher rolled his eyes about how students went “apeshit,” read off their actual quotes, and said, “I so badly want to dropkick these kids into a place where there is actual pain and suffering. What happened in this country?!”

Bill better watch out. He supports Israel and calls out islam for the crazy religion that it is. And now he's calling out the legion of triggered morons in American colleges. If he continues to wake up to reality he should expect to be called a white privileged racist.

Sanders: And they've given up on the slate in the South, the Rocky Mountain area—are they gonna create a 50-state party? Are they gonna welcome into the Democratic Party the working class of this country and young people, or is it gonna be a party of the upper middle class and the cocktail crowd and the heavy campaign contributors? Which to a significant degree it is right now. You know, I've talked to Democratic Party leaders and said, "You know what? Instead of going around and raising all kinds of money from wealthy people, why don'tcha meet in some football stadium and bring out fifty, a hundred thousand people; bring the damn Senate in there, Senate Democrats, and start talking to people—ask them what they want you to do. How about that?" Better? Radical? So, in other words, if I can't make it, and we're gonna try as hard as we can 'til the last vote is cast, we wanna completely revitalize the Democratic Party, and make it a party of the people, rather than just one of large campaign contributors.

Good! It's nice to see that he's not giving up altogether. I'm sure that the elites of the Democratic party would prefer that he call for unity, but that's a recipe for the inevitable "move to the center" that we've seen countless times. If Clinton wants the votes of the working class, let her at least pretend to stand for them until the election. Sanders might actually be doing Clinton a favor since those voters are Trump's only hope.

To be fair to Bernie he's been pretty consistent in his philosophy that change is enacted through a single large leap forward rather than through a steady series of steps. I mean that, in essence, is the purpose of a revolution. It's not really surprising that he's not thinking about how his current actions might affect the future of his cause since to him either we make the leap or we don't. Not that I'm endorsing this philosophy in this situation.

I'm sure we recovered from all the damage Hillary did to progressive causes in 2008, so I suggest everyone relax and enjoy the convention.

The Republicans are in bigger disarray at the moment and there wont be a clear winner till their convention, so I see no reason to hasten the process on the Democratic side*.

* Of course, I am not an unbiased source since I fund the Sanders campaign and want him to go all the way.

Also, I got an email from his campaign stating that they think they could take NY (based on their analytics team), assuming they were able to register new voters. I am guessing that is a big part of their strategy there.

1 hour ago, Stan the Man Baratheon said:

I am so happy that Bill Maher has seen the light. Bill is an old school Liberal and they are a dying breed. They are dying to modern liberalism which has done nothing but make people weak and look for safe spaces. 

Getting triggered by just seeing a Trump chalksign shows how destructive and regressive liberalism has become. Liberalism will truly be the death of free speech. 

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/maher-blasts-emory-students-triggered-by-trump-i-want-to-dropkick-these-kids/

Bill better watch out. He supports Israel and calls out islam for the crazy religion that it is. And now he's calling out the legion of triggered morons in American colleges. If he continues to wake up to reality he should expect to be called a white privileged racist.

Bill Maher has done nothing new.  He has always been like this.  You are just liking what you are hearing at this moment.

Holding Israel as a example of how things are to be done is quite frightening.

CNN currently has:

Washington, with 57% in: Sanders 73.2, Clinton 26.6

Alaska, with 73% in: Sanders 79.2, Clinton 20.8

These are the kinds of victories Sanders needs. The delegate count is still strongly against him and a comeback at this point would be nearly miraculous, but if there was to be one, this is how it would begin.

Archived