Bran the Broken man and 1000th Lord Commander of the NW

Marada78

17 minutes ago, Apple the Great said:

Why would Bran join the NW? He's the eldest surviving male Stark, so he's the legitimate King in the North. Sansa is a Stark, Jon Snow was raised to be a Stark, Rickon is a Stark, Arya is a Stark. Do you think any of them will claim that ahead of Bran?

The North will never follow a cripple.

8 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

The North will never follow a cripple.

The original Bran the Builder has been portrayed as a cripple, also it's actually to do with bloodline and legitimacy... and cripple or not, Bran is more powerful than anyone in the North.

It is Arya.

She was a Faceless Man. She has broken the contract.

With all the titles, there are multiple interpretations even after the fact. Remember 'the gift' where there were five scenes with a gift in them? And the thing was actually about the land called the gift.

On 24.5.2016 at 4:28 PM, Magog said:

Nope. Theon is the broken man. Somewhere in the books, he says precisely:

"He [Ramsay] broke me into a thousand pieces."

It was on the show actually. two episodes back, when he arrived at Pyke.

Spoiler

Broken Man is revering to the Hound. It is known.

11 hours ago, Apple the Great said:

The original Bran the Builder has been portrayed as a cripple, also it's actually to do with bloodline and legitimacy... and cripple or not, Bran is more powerful than anyone in the North.

Where?

Also, bloodline and legitimacy or no, The North looks down on weakness, which is why Robb had to prove he had guts before the lord followed him.

I think it comes from the extras on the Blu-Ray set of season 1:
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Brandon_Stark_(the_Builder)?file=BranTheBuilderCompleteGuide.png

Robb didn't have to prove anything to the Northern Lords before they followed him. They accepted his call to arms because their lord (Ned) was held captive in King's Landing, and they then followed Robb because he was Ned's eldest son, and they proclaimed him King in the North after deciding not to follow the southerns kings. It's bloodline and birth order. Nothing to do with strength or being a cripple or not. That's not how law works. Here's a video of Robb Stark pointing out the laws of inheritance, saying that Renly is not the King because he is the youngest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7aNFJozU0s

4 hours ago, Apple the Great said:

I think it comes from the extras on the Blu-Ray set of season 1:
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Brandon_Stark_(the_Builder)?file=BranTheBuilderCompleteGuide.png

Robb didn't have to prove anything to the Northern Lords before they followed him. They accepted his call to arms because their lord (Ned) was held captive in King's Landing, and they then followed Robb because he was Ned's eldest son, and they proclaimed him King in the North after deciding not to follow the southerns kings. It's bloodline and birth order. Nothing to do with strength or being a cripple or not. That's not how law works. Here's a video of Robb Stark pointing out the laws of inheritance, saying that Renly is not the King because he is the youngest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7aNFJozU0s

No, YOU dont seem to understand how it works (I know how the laws of inheritance work). Law is one thing, following it is another thing and you need to keep your bannermen in line, thats why the Karstarks and Freys told Robb to fuck off (he was named king of both the North and the Riverlands, by law they had to follow him), why the Reach is so often divided and doesnt always follow the Tyrells throughout history, why House Lannister faced rebellion and ruin udner Tywin's father, why the Umbers dont bow and many others havent truly sworn their loyalty to House Bolton yet.

Robb was questioned by the Greatjon and pretty much nobody (but Theon) stood up to defend him when he was about to get attacked. In the books it was even worse with Maege Mormont, Roose Bolton and I think Rickard Karstark questioning him too.

The whole reason the Stormlands followed Renly over his lawful brother was because he had the power of Storm's End, while Stannis didnt have much of anything.

Law is not absolute, you need to prove your position and that is one of the main topics in this entire series. You need strength, marriage alliances, financial means, other forms of resources (not all of them, but you need to show your strenght and value). Being a cripple might fly in the Reach, but in the macho, grim and merciless North, it would be troublesome.

BTW, that link doesnt say anything about Bran the Builder being a cripple.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 4:35 PM, LadyAlisande said:

. It could also apply to Sandor Clegane, who has been broken both physically and mentally and is now a champion of the faith who will challenge his (un) brother in Cersei's trial. 

Where do you get this from? There has been zero facts or even hints shown on screen to even suggest that the Hound is alive, let alone the Champion of the Faith Militant. You are stating assumptions as facts.

He may end up alive, he may end up as a champion, but to say that he is these things is misleading.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Where do you get this from? There has been zero facts or even hints shown on screen to even suggest that the Hound is alive, let alone the Champion of the Faith Militant. You are stating assumptions as facts.

He may end up alive, he may end up as a champion, but to say that he is these things is misleading.

There's not even the slightest hint the Mountain will fight the Hound, it's mostly that fans of both the book and show WISH this would happen.

It is likely that in the conclusion of the series, there will no longer be the Night's Watch or the Wall. If the series concluded with the Wall being rebuilt or with the Night's Watch going back to its former glory - then nothing is truly resolved. It would simply pave the way for this story to repeat all over again in another thousand years. I think GRRM is more likely to bring about a proper resolution - with the Wall brought down and either the White Walkers defeated or reclaimed. We now know the WWs were made from the First Men (possible from a Stark) with magic - perhaps they can be unmade my magic. Whether or not the WWs are defeated or converted, it has been shown very clearly that the Wall is not all good. The Wall separated the realm and kept apart the wildlings - something that Jon Snow attempted to rectify. Given this, it seems likely that once the Wall is brought down, the more prudent approach would be to make peace with the WWs, rather than to put the Wall back up. 

The fact that the Thousandth Lord Commander of the Night's Watch is coming is hardly a coincidence. I think it's possible to say therefore that the 1000th Lord Commander will be the last Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. He (she?) could be the one that brings down the Wall (or is there when the Wall is brought down), concludes the war, and makes peace - somehow. It is a song of ice and fire after all - it's more logical that ice and fire exist together like two sides of the coin, rather than fire destroying ice for good.  

So - it could be that Bran becomes the 1000th LC, or perhaps Jon Snow returns (as King of the North taking command of the NW), or the Night's King himself takes power, or even Dany once she and her dragons join the fight. Because we can, at this point, quite confidently say that Bran will be crucial in the Wall's fall or at the very least in understanding and communicating with the WWs, he certainly could be the 1000th and final Lord Commander. I definitely buy that. 

Even if he is though, it is unlikely any of this would come to pass in this episode. If we agree that this season will conclude with Bran seeing the Tower of Joy, he likely needs a weirwood tree. The trees closest to the Wall are the ones just North of the wall where Jon and Sam took their oaths, or the weirwood trees at Winterfell. From the books we know Benjen/Coldhands can't cross the Wall, and that Winterfell is a long way away - so I assume Bran will be near but not at the Wall at the end of the season. 

Jon was the 998th, Thorne the self appointed 999th for a couple of days. Jon came back from the dead, vengeance killed the 4 main conspirators and remined everyone that since he died, he is no longer bound since he was resurrected. Edd is the 1000th as they all look to them as their leader and no one is questioning it. Bran will never join the Night's Watch. However, Uncle Benjen may be involved in this somehow. 

The wall is protected by magic, most likely a warding effect. there has to be bound Night's Watchmen, loyal to their vows on it and guarding it. There are few left and I wonder if, by the time Benjen and Bran get there, if Ramsay has not sent an expedition to the Wall, looking for Jon and Sansa and they simply wipe out the Night's Watch just for cruelty sake, thereby Ramsay eliminating the Warding effect and the Wall can and will be breached. Soon.

3 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

The wall is protected by magic, most likely a warding effect. there has to be bound Night's Watchmen, loyal to their vows on it and guarding it. There are few left and I wonder if, by the time Benjen and Bran get there, if Ramsay has not sent an expedition to the Wall, looking for Jon and Sansa and they simply wipe out the Night's Watch just for cruelty sake, thereby Ramsay eliminating the Warding effect and the Wall can and will be breached. Soon.

Wouldn't Bran passing under the wall be a more likely cause for it to come down(or at least a section of it) and the NW to end, based on what we have actually seen and not speculation? Once(if) Bran passes the wall the NK should be able to come after him like he did in the cave, since the magic was nullified by the mark he left on Bran?

53 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Wouldn't Bran passing under the wall be a more likely cause for it to come down(or at least a section of it) and the NW to end, based on what we have actually seen and not speculation? Once(if) Bran passes the wall the NK should be able to come after him like he did in the cave, since the magic was nullified by the mark he left on Bran?

Possibly. I also thought the same about Craster's son, aka, Little Sam. Who knows but the "mark" on Bran is directly from the Night's King so maybe it could be said that Bran has a mark on him that indicates wherever he is to the Night's King at all times and the dead never rest. If the cave was a safe place but became null and void because of it, then the Wall may become the same. Like I said, Bran will be tracked down until he or the Night's King is dead and Bran must keep moving. Hah, Just thought, what if he gets on a ship and goes to Mereen and finds Dany? Never crossing the Wall?

1 hour ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Possibly. I also thought the same about Craster's son, aka, Little Sam. Who knows but the "mark" on Bran is directly from the Night's King so maybe it could be said that Bran has a mark on him that indicates wherever he is to the Night's King at all times and the dead never rest. If the cave was a safe place but became null and void because of it, then the Wall may become the same. Like I said, Bran will be tracked down until he or the Night's King is dead and Bran must keep moving. Hah, Just thought, what if he gets on a ship and goes to Mereen and finds Dany? Never crossing the Wall?

Well the magic of the wall is supposed to extend out past the water, I believe that's in the books. That's why the WW can't just walk around the wall in the water now.

Just now, dbunting said:

Well the magic of the wall is supposed to extend out past the water, I believe that's in the books. That's why the WW can't just walk around the wall in the water now.

How far though. I mean this would suck if you are Bran and you cannot walk as it is and now, you are really screwed. The show though, who knows how this will play out.

Just now, A Ghost of Someone said:

How far though. I mean this would suck if you are Bran and you cannot walk as it is and now, you are really screwed. The show though, who knows how this will play out.

I would imagine the WW can't come south period unless the magic of the wall is gone. So Bran, must stay north until the NK is dead, or he doesn't think about the ramifications and comes south tearing down the wall as a consequence.

Archived