Who will Daenerys marry?

norwaywolf123

Polygamy exists in Westeros; Except from the Targaryens, Aegon and Maegor and maybe even more examples, the wildlings are also practising it, Craster and Ygon Oldfather,  and also the IronBorns after a fashion. Their iron wife might be the "true" one but the children form the Salt wife can inherit so they are trueborns. Also are the examples before Aegon like Garland the Bridegroom and Florys the Fox. That means both Rhaegar and Lyanna had polygamy in their cultural background

56 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Yup, you're right, sorry for snapping like some chiuaua.

It's ok! 

The show has a much narrower range of options for Dany to be sure. Based on the books I had a number of ideas, but they don't seem to really work in the show.

Available Male Characters (female + female does not produce heirs and is therefore useless for political marriage) in no particular order:

Tyrion (still somewhat married to Sansa so maybe not really available. ATM this marriage wouldn't help her cause).

Euron (no way in hell unless he finds a way to "capture" her, which would take serious magical help).

Jaime (He is no longer KG and is free to marry, so a definite possibility if she gets over him killing her father and he acquires some power to bargain with).

Sam (Gilly would have to be dead, and Sam would have to find himself with some serious power; maybe not just Horn Hill, but all of the Reach...and why not, since the Tyrells are dead).

Gendry (A decent way to bring together the Baratheon and Targ dynasties, but Gendry has some climbing to do before this would make any sense).

Jon (He is her nephew, so ew, but other than that it looks like a serious possibility).

Littlefinger (That would be some story, wonder how he would pull it off).

Tormund Giantsbane (Brienne is more his type, but would be one way to marry the Northern power block without marrying Jon).

Davos (Isn't he married?).

Bronn (I doubt Tyrion would advise this course, much as he likes Bronn).

Am I missing anyone?

40 minutes ago, Quillon said:

of the top of my head:

Willas Tyrell

Sweetrobin

Rickon Stark

If we are talking show, not books, only SR is a character that exists and is still alive. But yes, I forgot about him. I kinda feel like he is not going to survive LF's scheming though.

I also forgot the eunuchs, but while they are still men, they are also, like Yara, incapable of producing heirs so useless for political marriage.

I also forgot Bran. That is actually a real possibility. There is no reason to believe he can't reproduce. I'm pretty sure he is in love with Meera though.

Thing is, IF Jon is King in the north when Daenerys gets to Westeros in the books - and we can't be sure GRRM writes it that way - he would be the perfect match for her, strategically. If there would be any romantic attachment between them is a completely different question. I don't see Jon as Dany's "type" and vice versa. That could be an interesting story though, Jon and Dany in a politically arranged union. Danys arranged marriage to Khal Drogo turned out to be a good match between two passionate, proud individuals who shared an intuitive understanding and attraction for one another.

Dany and Jon? Fire and Ice - the proud conqueror and the brooding warrior. Let's play it out. If they did marry for political purposes- could they agree on anything? For example: priorities. Dany wants the iron throne - she has no idea that her life's greatest wish, her one goal is pointless, is moot. She can not possibly understand the threat of The Others. She'll want to marry the man who is her strongest possible ally against whoever rules in King's Landing - which would be Jon who is already seceding from the 7 kingdoms (providing that's where GM takes the story), and thus already technically at war with the crown. But Jon doesn't care about the Iron throne at all. He would need her army and her dragons to fight The Others. Dany and Jon will need each other- but for entirely different reasons. And while they share some traits, like empathy, stubbornness and some ideals of justice, they express it differently. And then, after they married, they discover that they're related (or they wouldn't get married). It could be interesting.

45 minutes ago, illuminatia said:

Thing is, IF Jon is King in the north when Daenerys gets to Westeros in the books - and we can't be sure GRRM writes it that way - he would be the perfect match for her,

Bollocks, the KITN doesn't bend the knee to the Crown, marrying someone who claim herself ruler of Westeros would be giving up his KITN title, the KITN and the one who sit on the IT can't co-exist and quite obviously Jon isn't bending the knee to be a consort as that would be terrible writing and doesn't fit his character at all.

53 minutes ago, illuminatia said:

Thing is, IF Jon is King in the north when Daenerys gets to Westeros in the books - and we can't be sure GRRM writes it that way - he would be the perfect match for her, strategically. If there would be any romantic attachment between them is a completely different question. I don't see Jon as Dany's "type" and vice versa. That could be an interesting story though, Jon and Dany in a politically arranged union. Danys arranged marriage to Khal Drogo turned out to be a good match between two passionate, proud individuals who shared an intuitive understanding and attraction for one another.

Dany and Jon? Fire and Ice - the proud conqueror and the brooding warrior. Let's play it out. If they did marry for political purposes- could they agree on anything? For example: priorities. Dany wants the iron throne - she has no idea that her life's greatest wish, her one goal is pointless, is moot. She can not possibly understand the threat of The Others. She'll want to marry the man who is her strongest possible ally against whoever rules in King's Landing - which would be Jon who is already seceding from the 7 kingdoms (providing that's where GM takes the story), and thus already technically at war with the crown. But Jon doesn't care about the Iron throne at all. He would need her army and her dragons to fight The Others. Dany and Jon will need each other- but for entirely different reasons. And while they share some traits, like empathy, stubbornness and some ideals of justice, they express it differently. And then, after they married, they discover that they're related (or they wouldn't get married). It could be interesting.

Jon is the only one with his own power block already in the show, that is certain.

But circumstances are likely to change quickly. If Jaime kills Cersei for example as many suspect he will; who is then in charge? Well by the same principles as Cersei's own power grab, Jaime is, because he is her closest relative, and because he killed her and took the throne knowing that not doing so would create a power vacuum.

Alternately Jaime may simply become Lord of the Westerlands, with an ally in Bronn who is given the Twins. Fed up with Cersei, he may marry Dany and switch sides.

So there are ways Jaime could become a powerful player in his own right very quickly, making him a logical candidate for a political marriage.

5 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

Bollocks, the KITN doesn't bend the knee to the Crown, marrying someone who claim herself ruler of Westeros would be giving up his KITN title, the KITN and the one who sit on the IT can't co-exist and quite obviously Jon isn't bending the knee to be a consort as that would be terrible writing and doesn't fit his character at all.

What does Jon want, defeating the others or to be king? King of what? Wightland? He will need to ally with Daenerys to defeat them. He will do whatever it takes, he knows what his purpose is. And the iron throne is basically an uncomfortable piece of furniture by now. So it comes down to what they have to offer and what they need.  I personally don't think either Jon or Daenerys will marry at all, and nobody (?) thinks warging, reborn Jon Targaryen/Blackfyre will end up as some perfumed consort, but when she gets to Westeros, Jon should probably be at the top of her bachelorette-list. 

19 minutes ago, hitman47 said:

Tyrion Lannister she really wanted to fuck him in the show we see her eyes full of lust

I saw a hint of the other way around of that. Besides show's Dany's eyes didn't show any expression since the first bath scene.

1 hour ago, illuminatia said:

What does Jon want, defeating the others or to be king? King of what? Wightland? He will need to ally with Daenerys to defeat them. He will do whatever it takes, he knows what his purpose is. And the iron throne is basically an uncomfortable piece of furniture by now. So it comes down to what they have to offer and what they need.  I personally don't think either Jon or Daenerys will marry at all, and nobody (?) thinks warging, reborn Jon Targaryen/Blackfyre will end up as some perfumed consort, but when she gets to Westeros, Jon should probably be at the top of her bachelorette-list. 

Yes, Jon will make the ultimate sacrifice and marry Danaerys, characterized as the most beautiful woman in the world, strictly out of a sense of duty. For the good of the Realm.

2 hours ago, Hippocras said:

So there are ways Jaime could become a powerful player in his own right very quickly, making him a logical candidate for a political marriage.

Please no Jamie... He killed her father. I mean yeah maybe Tyrion will try to persuade her into to save his brother that but it sounds even more bollock than marrying her own nephew whom she has never met. 

jon and dany may marry, but i highly doubt it will be a love marriage. 

they are not each other's type. and GRRM is not that type of cheesy writer. 

it can only be a political union. 

then jon will elope with Arya and abandoned Dany! just like his father! 

8 hours ago, Quyen Thuy Tran said:

Please no Jamie... He killed her father. I mean yeah maybe Tyrion will try to persuade her into to save his brother that but it sounds even more bollock than marrying her own nephew whom she has never met. 

There are frankly no options without some kind of serious hurdle. Jon was just declared King of a region that has no interest in being part of the Kingdoms, besides being her nephew.

Jaime killed her father, yes. But she is now quite aware of what her father was and she values Tyrion who is only alive because Jaime freed him. So I frankly don't see why Jaime is more "bollock" than any other option.

Archived