What do the Others want?

On 7/8/2016 at 0:16 AM, YOVMO said:

What I was wondering was if they understood the power that was north of the wall, knew how the long night could be brought on and realized that dragons should not be anywhere near there because of the danger in bringing down the wall

By the time Targaryans arrived there were only legends left about the Others. Noone truly believed that they even existed. The War of Down happened about 8000 years before the events, while Valyrians discovered their dragons about 5000 years before the events. Besides that the Old Valyria is too far away from the North of Westeros, they probably didn't even know what was going on  there like 3000 years ago.

I'm a bit confused on the timeline of all this, can someone help me out?

The CoTF battled the FM for a super long time, then the CoTF got fed up and created the Others, and then they struck a truce with the FM?  and what the Others just backed off for thousands of years?  It's a bit confusing to me

1 hour ago, spauldo17 said:

I'm a bit confused on the timeline of all this, can someone help me out?

The CoTF battled the FM for a super long time, then the CoTF got fed up and created the Others, and then they struck a truce with the FM?  and what the Others just backed off for thousands of years?  It's a bit confusing to me

I don't think that has been confirmed in the books, yet.

Spoiler

As I understand, that is from the show.

On 7/6/2016 at 2:29 PM, BricksAndSparrows said:

The general assumption is that the Others mean to cross the Wall, or bring it down, but is there any indication of what they want?

The main reason I ask is, if we don't even know what they want south of the Wall, it may be premature to assume that their recent increase in activity is an indication of Southern intentions.

To carry out the removal of the First Men from the north.  

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:29 PM, BricksAndSparrows said:

The general assumption is that the Others mean to cross the Wall, or bring it down, but is there any indication of what they want?

The main reason I ask is, if we don't even know what they want south of the Wall, it may be premature to assume that their recent increase in activity is an indication of Southern intentions.

Could someone (Mance?  Someone else?) have taken something of great value to them or done something to them to instigate them?  It seems that they became active again prior to the Dragons hatching.  Could they just be angry at Free Folk encroaching on their territory?  Or, perhaps there is a new "Nights King" who has a problem with the world of men calling the shots and most of the Others we've seen are just foot soldiers following orders. 

Was it the Others' recent activities that started Mance's unification of the wildlings and search for Horn of Winter to invade south or Mance's actions that started the Others' recent activities?

The problem with the wildlings that makes me dislike them as a whole is because they are suspicious as hell. Their actions are dubious and they have the tendency to change the topic or not explaining things further when asked, be it Ygritte, Tormund, Val and Mance. They seem to know something crucial but keep their mounth shut about it. And Jon not making any demand for more detailed information from them just makes me even more upset. And their most heinous crime is boasting about how they remember things the kneelers forget. What do they remember?

On July 8, 2016 at 1:28 AM, Duncan_The_Short said:

Actually, I always assumed that the Valyrians did make slave raids into Westeros and that was the reason that slavery was so strongly prohibited there.   But since AHoW makes no mention of it, I guess it didn't occur.

That is a fair guess and one that I would be willing to believe, but I don't see textual evidence for it. I would love some though. Lord knows I miss at least as much as I catch.

• 1 year later...
On 7/7/2016 at 6:42 PM, RobbTheBoss said:

There must be a threat her about that, but there are 1000 threats about Craster. In fact some things are said here

Spoiler

Bartube theory is confirmed. Тhere will be an ice dragon. And that explain perfectly well the Craster's sons story. 

On 8/16/2017 at 3:25 PM, RobbTheBoss said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Bartube theory is confirmed. Тhere will be an ice dragon. And that explain perfectly well the Craster's sons story. 

RobbTheBoss, that's only confirmed in the mythical electronic visual version of the story that we are not allowed to discuss in this forum as it is for books only. It's not remotely confirmed in the books and may never be.

Archived