NFL 2017: Sneaky-Good October

Jace, Extat

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Hey folks. A couple weeks ago I went way out of line insulting sperry. I was wrong and apologize to him for that. While I don't regret a sharp retort, I needlessly went personal and nasty. I recognize I have a habit of doing that, and I've been a dick to others in a similar way here. I apologize to the people I have insulted, and I apologize to the readers of this thread in general for fouling up a fun and active topic. I will do my best to keep from repeating my mistakes.

It's okay, just pick on Rockroi like everyone else does and you can get away with anything

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Hey folks. A couple weeks ago I went way out of line insulting sperry. I was wrong and apologize to him for that. While I don't regret a sharp retort, I needlessly went personal and nasty. I recognize I have a habit of doing that, and I've been a dick to others in a similar way here. I apologize to the people I have insulted, and I apologize to the readers of this thread in general for fouling up a fun and active topic. I will do my best to keep from repeating my mistakes.

You lose a few sponsors?

Meanwhile, I've got the Football Life: The Tuck Rule on while I play my computer, and it's pretty great. Jon Gruden was such a charmer, like a less hillbilly Bill Clinton. I'd forgotten that.

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You lose a few sponsors?

Meanwhile, I've got the Football Life: The Tuck Rule on while I play my computer, and it's pretty great. Jon Gruden was such a charmer, like a less hillbilly Bill Clinton. I'd forgotten that.

They played that last night after the game. Got sucked in pretty quick. Good stuff.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It's okay, just pick on Rockroi like everyone else does and you can get away with anything

Its true.  Trump went up six points in the latest Reuters poll because he said I am keeping the nation back.  My home has been fire bombed 3 times and the police keep telling me its because the way I post on-line I was "asking for it."  

17 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You lose a few sponsors?

DanteGabriel:

I hope that you continue to post with the intelligence, roudyness, grace and sarcasm which has made you a staple here.  Also, I once got a warning point and a 24 hour ban just prior to the Pats Superbowl win v. Seattle.  So yeah, I too... what was that you said?  Appologize for ... something smething a fun topic?  Yeah... 

Is sperry going to issue a counterveiling appology or are we just all going to pretend it was a one-way thing?  You know in the same way we pretend Rothelesberger is still a good QB and that George RR Martin still likes GoT the series?  These are things I need to know.

On The Tuck Rule Time Line- Literally DVR'ing it as we speak.  Pleae, no spoilers- don't tell me how it ends.  I want to be surprised.  Maybe this time they'll call Woodson for that blatant illegal shot to the head or somebody who is not a NE fa will admit it wa 100% the correct call.  

Again, these are things I need to know. 

25 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

They played that last night after the game. Got sucked in pretty quick. Good stuff.

Jon Gruden looks like he's ready to chew goddamn nails at times when talking about the tuck rule.

It's scary, but kinda hot.

14 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Its true.  Trump went up six points in the latest Reuters poll because he said I am keeping the nation back.  My home has been fire bombed 3 times and the police keep telling me its because the way I post on-line I was "asking for it."  

DanteGabriel:

I hope that you continue to post with the intelligence, roudyness, grace and sarcasm which has made you a staple here.  Also, I once got a warning point and a 24 hour ban just prior to the Pats Superbowl win v. Seattle.  So yeah, I too... what was that you said?  Appologize for ... something smething a fun topic?  Yeah... 

Is sperry going to issue a counterveiling appology or are we just all going to pretend it was a one-way thing?  You know in the same way we pretend Rothelesberger is still a good QB and that George RR Martin still likes GoT the series?  These are things I need to know.

On The Tuck Rule Time Line- Literally DVR'ing it as we speak.  Pleae, no spoilers- don't tell me how it ends.  I want to be surprised.  Maybe this time they'll call Woodson for that blatant illegal shot to the head or somebody who is not a NE fa will admit it wa 100% the correct call.  

Again, these are things I need to know. 

Sorry, hadn't seen. Won't spoil. It's pretty great, the structure works well with commercial breaks, which is surprising.

8 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Sorry, hadn't seen. Won't spoil. It's pretty great, the structure works well with commercial breaks, which is surprising.

The thing about spoilers is totally a joke.  I mean... it happened 16 years ago.  

Reminds me of the time on these boards somebody was talking about Downton Abbey and Imentioned World War One and somebody- literally - told me not to spoil the show by making any references to what happened during Wolrd War One... a conflict that ended 100 years ago.  

The Germans did it....

38 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

The thing about spoilers is totally a joke.  I mean... it happened 16 years ago.  

Reminds me of the time on these boards somebody was talking about Downton Abbey and Imentioned World War One and somebody- literally - told me not to spoil the show by making any references to what happened during Wolrd War One... a conflict that ended 100 years ago.  

The Germans did it....

That's why we brohos, you and me.

14 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I was out of line as well, and I apologize. No hard feelings.

Has anyone done a statistical analysis of the benefits of punt returning vs. fair catching? 

I swear to God at least more than half of the time there is an illegal block penalty on the returns, and definitely less than half the time is there any kind of significant gain. The Bengals could have just fair caught the ball at the 40 yard line and had great field position, instead they ate a 10 yard loss, and then tacked on an additional 10 yard loss with an illegal block call to start at the ~20. 

5 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Redzone can be pretty great when you're stoned and trying to balance watching the end of the halves with ordering delievery and subduing barbarian Africa.

I'm going to bet it will be easier to subdue that delivery than it will barbarian Africa...especially being stoned.

Anyone catch the Bengals fan dump a beer at Brandon Tate after his TD catch? What a waste of $9...

1 hour ago, IamMe90 said:

Has anyone done a statistical analysis of the benefits of punt returning vs. fair catching? 

I swear to God at least more than half of the time there is an illegal block penalty on the returns, and definitely less than half the time is there any kind of significant gain. The Bengals could have just fair caught the ball at the 40 yard line and had great field position, instead they ate a 10 yard loss, and then tacked on an additional 10 yard loss with an illegal block call to start at the ~20. 

I would imagine you're correct here, but to get some in-depth statistical analysis I imagine you'd have to subscribe to one of the paid services like Football Outsiders or the like. 

Not related directly to punting, but you see a handful of the smarter teams trying to take advantage of this on kickoffs. The Pats for instance have taken to not trying to kick the ball out of the endzone, giving the opposing team the 25 yard touchback. They want you to return it, betting that their special teams can pin you inside the 25 at the very least, and knowing that the return team is likely to commit that block in the back penalty, which is probably going to leave you inside the 10. 

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Both the Colts and Niners offenses are living up to their titles in the first half here in Indianapolis. I am officially offended.  

I'm surprised that this game wasn't earmarked for a Thursday night slot...

Archived