Lord Sidious

TTTNE 472: A new Year, a new Ruler-or not

158 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Happy new year everyone!, may I start the thread by wishing you all an amazing 2018-May all your hopes and dreams come true!.

As I said in the previous thread I’d start a new one on January 1st so people can choose a new ruler. Normally I’d have continued a tyrannical,oppressive Imperial rule indefinitely, but as you all know I have other priorities so I shall pass the mantle on happily.

I will be throwing my support behind my young apprentice, after two years as a second in command I think it’s about time he was given the opportunity to rule on his own.

Oh and sorry for ruining a race, but they have been rather tame, no existent affairs of late anyway, apologies Bear!.

 

Once again happy new year spammers :commie::commie::commie::commie:

Edited by Lord Sidious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:cheers::cheers::cheers: to the new thread! 

Happy new year to you too, Lord Sidious, I hope an equally worthy ruler shall rise to succeed your reign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks :), put my vote in for my apprentice, I’m not going to be around much now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I woke to work e-mails and saw my bank account balance. 

Not a good day, people, not a good day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thread hath died, preciouth. 

Now that Christmas is over, my creativity is back. How ironic. So I’m browsing the internet for gift for some special occasions coming up in spring. One of my best friends is turning 25, sister is turning 18 and my other best friend is graduating uni. I’m very proud of the idea I’ve come up with and the fact that I started tracking down options to get them. (Yes, I will be shipping stuff from Australia and South Korea, but it’s going to be worth it.) 

How is the new year coming along for you, absentee spammers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got sick on the last day of holidays. 2018 started with a nice day at the spa and turned poopy on the next day. I was supposed to go to work tomorrow. I fear that is not going to happen. :angry: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎-‎1‎-‎2018 at 2:29 PM, Lord Sidious said:

I will be throwing my support behind my young apprentice, after two years as a second in command I think it’s about time he was given the opportunity to rule on his own.

I haven't even said I'd be running, have I? But I think I will, at least if there aren't many other candidates. So thanks for your vote ;)

My Christmas break is great. I'm eating too much and sleeping every morning away, but that's what breaks are for. I do have one big school assignment that I've been putting off (well, three, but only one is relevant to this story). I'm supposed to interview, like, professional reporters, bloggers, TV-makers, photographers etc. to find out what I like and want to be. And now I'm wondering again if it's idiotic to be studying Journalism when I've just decided for the umpteenth time that I want to write fiction. I mean, I'm picking up useful skills, but it feels kind of counter-productive; If I can, I want nothing do with news in my adult life.
But hey, there's new seasons of Black Mirror and Peaky Blinders, and Netflix has added Friends, so procrastrination it is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, First of My Name said:

I haven't even said I'd be running, have I? But I think I will, at least if there aren't many other candidates. So thanks for your vote ;)

My Christmas break is great. I'm eating too much and sleeping every morning away, but that's what breaks are for. I do have one big school assignment that I've been putting off (well, three, but only one is relevant to this story). I'm supposed to interview, like, professional reporters, bloggers, TV-makers, photographers etc. to find out what I like and want to be. And now I'm wondering again if it's idiotic to be studying Journalism when I've just decided for the umpteenth time that I want to write fiction. I mean, I'm picking up useful skills, but it feels kind of counter-productive; If I can, I want nothing do with news in my adult life.
But hey, there's new seasons of Black Mirror and Peaky Blinders, and Netflix has added Friends, so procrastrination it is!

Go go go! :commie: don’t settle for journalism if fiction is what you truly want to do. 

Glad to hear your winter break is going well. This is my last day of freedom, after that, I’m back to work... :bawl: but it’s weekend soon so that’s okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on an involuntary extended break. :sick: I would rather go to work today than lie on the couch with a headache.

First, here is the tough truth: getting to write fiction and succeed in it and be able to live off it is hard. I think you need something to fall back upon on in case fiction does not work out. If that is journalism or something else, that is not as important as having some degree in something you can use to live off. Quit journalism if that is what you want to do. But maybe then you should think about some other program to study. And in the meantime, enter writing projects, apply for fundings for young fiction writers, try to publish in literary magazines ... whatever will help you. But maybe you should not just rely on being a successful writer from the get go.

My 2 cents. But maybe I am just being pessimistic and in a bad mood and therefore moody because I am feverish and sleepy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New thread so I'm going BACK TO THE FRONT old avatar. Still a bit of music within.

Are we strong enough in number to consider a Pictionary game? I don't mind hosting.

Hope you get better Buck, there's been a really nasty strain going around here the last couple of weeks. I'm coming down with something myself, but I think (and hope) it's just a cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

Go go go! :commie: don’t settle for journalism if fiction is what you truly want to do. 

Glad to hear your winter break is going well. This is my last day of freedom, after that, I’m back to work... :bawl: but it’s weekend soon so that’s okay. 

The plan is still to combine them, like Buckwheat said. But yeah, creative writing is why I wanted to write in the first place, so I'm not giving that up. 

My condolences :crying: 

47 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I am on an involuntary extended break. :sick: I would rather go to work today than lie on the couch with a headache.

First, here is the tough truth: getting to write fiction and succeed in it and be able to live off it is hard. I think you need something to fall back upon on in case fiction does not work out. If that is journalism or something else, that is not as important as having some degree in something you can use to live off. Quit journalism if that is what you want to do. But maybe then you should think about some other program to study. And in the meantime, enter writing projects, apply for fundings for young fiction writers, try to publish in literary magazines ... whatever will help you. But maybe you should not just rely on being a successful writer from the get go.

My 2 cents. But maybe I am just being pessimistic and in a bad mood and therefore moody because I am feverish and sleepy.

This was exactly my reasoning for choosing Journalism, so I wouldn't call it moody ;) It's a helpful reminder. And I'm applying for a sort of alternative course that would allow me to write whatever I feel I'm best at, so that'd be pretty cool.

24 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

New thread so I'm going BACK TO THE FRONT old avatar. Still a bit of music within.

Are we strong enough in number to consider a Pictionary game? I don't mind hosting.

I'm game.

Edited by First of My Name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

New thread so I'm going BACK TO THE FRONT old avatar. Still a bit of music within.

Are we strong enough in number to consider a Pictionary game? I don't mind hosting.

Hope you get better Buck, there's been a really nasty strain going around here the last couple of weeks. I'm coming down with something myself, but I think (and hope) it's just a cold.

I don’t think we are, but I was just thinking about when we are doing the first Pictionary of the new year last night when I checked in. 

Count me in. 

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I am on an involuntary extended break. :sick: I would rather go to work today than lie on the couch with a headache.

First, here is the tough truth: getting to write fiction and succeed in it and be able to live off it is hard. I think you need something to fall back upon on in case fiction does not work out. If that is journalism or something else, that is not as important as having some degree in something you can use to live off. Quit journalism if that is what you want to do. But maybe then you should think about some other program to study. And in the meantime, enter writing projects, apply for fundings for young fiction writers, try to publish in literary magazines ... whatever will help you. But maybe you should not just rely on being a successful writer from the get go.

My 2 cents. But maybe I am just being pessimistic and in a bad mood and therefore moody because I am feverish and sleepy.

That’s not moody at all, I 100% agree with everything you said. 

I suppose the grownup version of my commie dance is: don’t give up on something you want before you have tried and tried and tried just because it’s difficult and the chances of succes are low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, First of My Name said:

And now I'm wondering again if it's idiotic to be studying Journalism when I've just decided for the umpteenth time that I want to write fiction. I mean, I'm picking up useful skills, but it feels kind of counter-productive; If I can, I want nothing do with news in my adult life.

Journalism sounds like a very good career for a fiction writer, as long as writing non-fiction* all day doesn't leave you too sick of writing to do fiction in the evenings. It has the potential to continually expose you to all kinds of different people and situations, which is really useful for an author. And you will need a day job, even after a major publisher buys your books.

(* assuming you don't end up working for the Daily Mail or similar institution)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had to change a bunch of passwords because someone in Russia logged in to one of my accounts. :angry2: No harm done as far as I can tell, but it's concerning. Hopefully I wasn't using the same password anywhere else that I've forgotten about!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s weird and annoying. Hope it was a one off thing and you don’t have to change passwords again. 

 

Argh, this bloody day. I hate working. I don’t understand people who love it. Like what the F do you love about doing shitty little things a trained monkey could do without enough information about the context that would make it possible for you to at least pretend that whatever you are doing is at least remotely intriguing. I’m obviously born into the wrong time or onto the wrong planet or something... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would rather be working right now than laying here with fever feeling shitty. :( I want to be healthy now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I would rather be working right now than laying here with fever feeling shitty. :( I want to be healthy now!

Oh that doesn’t sound good, get well soon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RhaenysB said:

Oh that doesn’t sound good, get well soon! 

Thanks! And you spammers post a lot, I am bored. :P Laying on the couch being unable to do much really makes the day too long ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Thanks! And you spammers post a lot, I am bored. :P Laying on the couch being unable to do much really makes the day too long ...

Come over, there’s plenty of stuff to print here. Or hotel rooms to book. Or emails to write. Or all kinds tasks a trained chimpanzee could do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*kicks thread until it comes back to life* 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now