Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Isis

Troy on BBC/Netflix

32 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

Well, I've liked this series very much.  It isn't the Iliad, by the way, though it takes material - inspiration from it as well as other sources.

Didn't you also like Taboo? ;) I may give it a try, but it has been sinking to the bottom of my possible viewing list. I rewatched the first season of Rome and am kind of jonesing for something set in antiquity. I wish there was a wider selection available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Didn't you also like Taboo? ;) I may give it a try, but it has been sinking to the bottom of my possible viewing list. I rewatched the first season of Rome and am kind of jonesing for something set in antiquity. I wish there was a wider selection available.

Antiquity is tricky but we seem to be well served with shows from 700s to 19th century these days.

If you liked Rome I think deadwood is worth a shot just because deadwood was originally going to be set around the fall of the republic but mulch had to change the setting when he discovered hbo were already making a show about Rome. Basically the idea was about order from chaos and how people of dubious reputation could inadvertently/self sevingly create order.

I mention this fairly often but it still bugs me how TV only ever seems to cover the one era of Rome. Although there's brittania I guess.

Cleopatra is being developed by a creator from black sails but that's still the same era. 

I Claudius was being developed as a remake at one point but seems to have died.

There might be some Japanese or Chinese shows covering their side of antiquity?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, red snow said:

Antiquity is tricky but we seem to be well served with shows from 700s to 19th century these days.

If you liked Rome I think deadwood is worth a shot just because deadwood was originally going to be set around the fall of the republic but mulch had to change the setting when he discovered hbo were already making a show about Rome. Basically the idea was about order from chaos and how people of dubious reputation could inadvertently/self sevingly create order.

I mention this fairly often but it still bugs me how TV only ever seems to cover the one era of Rome. Although there's brittania I guess.

Cleopatra is being developed by a creator from black sails but that's still the same era. 

I Claudius was being developed as a remake at one point but seems to have died.

There might be some Japanese or Chinese shows covering their side of antiquity?

 

Funny you should mention that time period since I just started a Smithsonian Channel documentary Europe's Last Warrior Kings about 1066 and the three contenders to the crown after Edward the Confessor's death. https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/europes-last-warrior-kings/prelude-to-war/1004829/3448619?an=history

Deadwood is excellent.

This is the first mention I've seen of Cleopatra. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that. Now that you mention I, Claudius, perhaps I should watch the BBC production from the 70s.

I could always try Spartacus again. I watched the first episode but wasn't impressed enough to continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I could always try Spartacus again. I watched the first episode but wasn't impressed enough to continue.

You may have heard this before, but Spartacus gets much better as it progresses. I say the first 3 episodes in season 1 are clunky, with the first one down right abysmal, but after that it picks up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

You may have heard this before, but Spartacus gets much better as it progresses. I say the first 3 episodes in season 1 are clunky, with the first one down right abysmal, but after that it picks up.

Yeah, that first one is fairly terrible. I hear it gets better but haven't given it a chance. Hard since there are so many quality series now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Astromech said:

Didn't you also like Taboo? ;) I may give it a try, but it has been sinking to the bottom of my possible viewing list. I rewatched the first season of Rome and am kind of jonesing for something set in antiquity. I wish there was a wider selection available.

I did like Taboo, very much, expecting to dislike it as much as so many had said they disliked it.  I found an entirely different program than the one they saw. 

Re, the bolded, O! so do I!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Yeah, that first one is fairly terrible. I hear it gets better but haven't given it a chance. Hard since there are so many quality series now.

Ya, once Xena Warrior Princess shows up the entire thing begins to sizzle.  But those first eps were so bad, particularly the first one - 3 as mentioned, I gave up for years after quitting about half way through the first episode.

My current favorite remains Ertugruel: Resurrection, the 13th century, with the tribe that helps found the Ottoman coalition squeezed by Crusaders, Seljuk kingdoms and the Mongols.

 

 

Edited by Zorral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was also debating giving Marco Polo a shot. I hear both good and bad things about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I was also debating giving Marco Polo a shot. I hear both good and bad things about it.

season 1 was ok and my general impression was it should have been called "Kublai Khan/the khans" and it would have been much better. It never quite knows whether it wants to be "rome" or "Da vinci's Demons".

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

I did like Taboo, very much, expecting to dislike it as much as so many had said they disliked it.  I found an entirely different program than the one they saw. 

Re, the bolded, O! so do I!

It was addictive nonsense trash but I agree there was something strangely compelling about it in hindsight. Probably entirely down to Hardy, his hat stroll and his melodic voice. I think he may have been hypnotising viewers.

I forgot about spartacus ("shame upon be present!") - definitely worth sticking through the first few episodes as it develops into a fun OTT rollercoaster.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, red snow said:

It was addictive nonsense trash but I agree there was something strangely compelling about it in hindsight. Probably entirely down to Hardy, his hat stroll and his melodic voice. I think he may have been hypnotising viewers.

 

 

For me it was the combination of the history involved, from Africa, to the John Company, the War of 1812 (my favorite war, so to speak in terms of history) and that era of the US.  Andrew Jackson and the endless frontier are coming soon, babee.

But particularly I was impressed with how much the writers knew of Kongo religion and culture, which explains how Delaney knows everything -- he's been initiated and those who have died know everything -- and he's died many times. The division between life and death, the Kalunga line, is water.  Water imagery, submersion and emergence, drowning -- run in wide imagistic themes throughout every episode.  Taboo's writers did a really fine job on every level.  That the viewers were too impatient to notice really isn't their fault. There was a whole lot to see on other levels.  Which the BBC Real Player audience growth in leaps and bounds via word of mouth showed.  That the print media didn't like Taboo because it didn't get it, was fully refuted by what happened with the audience for Taboo via streaming.  Thus Taboo got a second season, yay!

Also the entire cast was spectacularly good -- always with the exception of Oona Chaplin.  Perhaps that is just me, but everything about her on screen irritate and annoys. I hope she stays drowned.

Edited by Zorral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 2:06 PM, Astromech said:

Damn, I was looking forward to watching this series once I resub to Netflix. Not so much anymore.

Heck, I'd recommend giving it a try, at least the first episode. I have my complaints, but there are good things, too. It does have a realistic, gritty feel to it. If you're not invested in Paris and Helen's relationship by the end of the first episode, you'll know whether or not the rest of the series is for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Liver and Onions said:

Heck, I'd recommend giving it a try, at least the first episode. I have my complaints, but there are good things, too. It does have a realistic, gritty feel to it. If you're not invested in Paris and Helen's relationship by the end of the first episode, you'll know whether or not the rest of the series is for you.

I just wouldn't put it at the top of any watch lists. It's pretty good for a hangover or ill watching though and that isn't too harsh a dig - some shows fit that level of attention/effort quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0