The Books We're Expecting in 2008

Werthead

Why?? I thought the Tiffany Aching books were going down rather well.

They are, especially in the USA where they've been blamed/cited for TP's recent boom in popularity there :) The pubs were vexed that he abandoned work on the next Tiffany Aching book to write something random and not connected to it. Note that Pratchett himself said this and somewhat amusedly from what I can gather in the interview. The guy is a money-making machine, the pubs probably don't give a damn what he writes next as it will still sell faster than any other fantasy novel published in 2008 (a certainty given that Rowling is out of the picture for next year).

Okay, bad news. . . :|

Just received an email from Matt, and he confirmed that Patrick Rothfuss's Wise Man's Fears would be delayed, possibly for a few months. So the original pub date no longer stands. They will assess the situation when the manuscript is turned in.

They're doing their best to get the book out ASAP, but they want the sequel to be as good as it can possibly be. I'll let you know if more info comes my way. Rothfuss is in NYC for the Quills, so there might be more coming my way. . .

Patrick

I thought all 3 books were already written and complete? Is he changing that much of the original version, or am I just confused about the status of the remaining 2 books?

I thought all 3 books were already written and complete?

Yes, they were, and that is the story that they spread at the time of the Name of the Wind release as an extra selling point. Rothfuss told me a while back that he was making some final changes because he wanted the book to be as best as it possibly could be.

The story was written as one novel (called A Song of Flame and Thunder but changed for possibly obvious reasons) and then split in three. Whilst the books are complete, Rothfuss needed to do a rewriting and editorial pass on each one to make them stand as three books better (exactly what Tolkien, for example, didn't do). Think of it as the literary equivalent of all three LotR movies being finished when the first one was released in 2001, but Jackson needing to spend a year on post-production and editing for each of them.

I saw Tor updated their list with three further May releases that I know virtually nothing about.

Null-A Continuum by John C. Wright is the first part of his continuation of A. E. van Vogt's classic space saga.

Edge of Reason by Melinda Snodgrass, who I mention because she is one of GRRM's friends who also contributes to Wildcards. THis must be her first novel, no idea what it is about.

And a book simply titled The Wolfman by Nicholas Pekearo.

Yes, they were, and that is the story that they spread at the time of the Name of the Wind release as an extra selling point. Rothfuss told me a while back that he was making some final changes because he wanted the book to be as best as it possibly could be.

Initially, the whole thing was written as one big novel. When came the time to turn it into a trilogy, Matt asked Pat to change a few things to make volume 1 more interesting. It lacked "bad shit," and Matt is pretty fond of "bad shit." I believe that any client of Matt Bialer has heard "We need more bad shit now!" quite a few times.

Because of those changes, book 2 needed to be rearranged a little. With school, personal life, newfound popularity, and the high expectations associated with the released of a sequel to The Name of the Wind, that adds up to a manuscript that won't be turned in on time.

So the story is done with. But there are a few nuts and bolts that need to be fixed, and then the editorial process will begin in earnest.

Patrick

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan (late next year is the likeliest; though the anniversary of his death could be possible as a fitting tribute for the release)

nO word still on the next Carlos Zafon book as of yet though.

Do you really think A Memory of Light will come out that soon? I'd rather date the release sometime in 2009ish...

And a new book by Carlos Ruiz Zafon would be awesome, loved The Shadow of the Wind in both German and English editions :D

Do you really think A Memory of Light will come out that soon? I'd rather date the release sometime in 2009ish...

The should read the very earliest. As in not very likely. As a memorial to him is the only way I really envision a 2008 release at this point.

Lois McMaster Bujold has the third Sharing Knife book coming out next year.

Sorry, I must have missed that. Agreed then, though sadly so yeah :(

Can't wait for The Republic of Thieves (especially since I just finished Red Seas under Red Skies yesterday after I finally got it and gah! I hate waiting :P)

As for the Joe Abercrombie one...I might actually order the UK edition or have my parents bring it over for me when they come visit from Germany, because it'll probably take ages again till it's released in the U.S. Can't wait for that one :D 2008 seems to become a really good year for books :D

Can't wait for The Republic of Thieves (especially since I just finished Red Seas under Red Skies yesterday after I finally got it and gah! I hate waiting :P)

As for the Joe Abercrombie one...I might actually order the UK edition or have my parents bring it over for me when they come visit from Germany, because it'll probably take ages again till it's released in the U.S. Can't wait for that one :D 2008 seems to become a really good year for books :D

Not to discourage you from getting your hands on the UK edition of Last Argument of Kings (because I know I will be getting asap!), but in one of The First Law threads Joe said that the US editions will be hitting the shelves in 6 month intervals. Book 1 came out in Sept '07, 2 comes out March '08, and 3 in Sept '08.

Not to discourage you from getting your hands on the UK edition of Last Argument of Kings (because I know I will be getting asap!), but in one of The First Law threads Joe said that the US editions will be hitting the shelves in 6 month intervals. Book 1 came out in Sept '07, 2 comes out March '08, and 3 in Sept '08.

Umm yeah, but Amazon says the UK will come out in March so...6 months earlier, but then again amazon's a lying liar who lies...

Umm yeah, but Amazon says the UK will come out in March so...6 months earlier, but then again amazon's a lying liar who lies...

UK version does come out (and will be in my hands) in March. I know I can't wait! I do think it's cool that they're releasing them in such rapid succession for those don't want to/can't afford to get it from overseas.

Well what I am thinking and what I am typing sometimes are two very different things. I'm pretty sure my implication was vague at best.

2008 seems to become a really good year for books :D

Well it started out that way. Now with Jones out for 2008, Bakker unlikely, Ruckley and Rothfuss unsure, my big reads list for '08 is dwindling fast. At this rate if Martin pulls through it might end up being my most looked-for book for the year after all when right now it sits about halfway down the list.

UK version does come out (and will be in my hands) in March. I know I can't wait! I do think it's cool that they're releasing them in such rapid succession for those don't want to/can't afford to get it from overseas.

I still think they should do it around the same time, but yeah...I mean that's nothing compared to how long you have to wait to get translations. My brother in Germany doesn't speak English very well and so is still waiting for Red Seas under Red Skies to come out in German (even though I mostly hate translations, because some of the German ones are just....baaaaaaad). So yay for being able to read the originals and even get them cheaper than in good old Germany :D

Updating my original list:

Joe Abercrombie: The Last Argument of Kings (March 2008)

The concluding part of The First Law Trilogy hits in March. The book is already finished and from the sound of it, Joe is already at work on the first of two follow-ups set in the same world, Best Served Cold.

Solid. The ARCs are going out imminently, I believe, and The 'Crombie is now at work on Best Served Cold, a stand-alone set in the same world.

Daniel Abraham: An Autumn War (late 2008)

The third and penultimate volume of The Long Price Quartet. However, UK readers may have to wait an extra year: Books 1 and 2 are being published in omnibus only in the UK and it's likely that 3 and 4 will be in a similar position.

The UK omnibus is out now. An Autumn War is complete and on course for 2008 release.

Scott Bakker: The Great Ordeal (March-May 2008)

Book 1 of The Aspect-Emperor, picking up the action 20 years after the events of The Thousandfold Thought. I'm sure Amazon previously said May for this, but they are now giving a date of 1 March 2008. It looks like we're getting the book before the Americans this time around.

Famous last works. US release is now scheduled for August 2008 and the UK edition for January 2009 :(

Scott Bakker: Neuropath (15 May 2008)

Orion are listed as publishing this, though I imagine their SF imprint Gollancz will be a better fit for it. Much-delayed (it was completed ages ago), Bakker's 'controversial' SF novel finally sees the light of day.

Still on course as far as I can tell.

Iain M. Banks: Matter (7 February 2008)

Banks' first Culture novel for eight years is supposedly his biggest and most complex novel to date. Orbit Books seem to be very excited about the novel and plan to push it hard for the American market as well.

Still on target. I'm very intrigued by this one but will probably wait for the mmpb.

Anne Bishop: Tangled Webs (4 March 2008)

The follow-up to the Black Jewels Trilogy.

Still on target.

Alan Campbell: Penny Devil (2 May 2008)

The sequel to Scar Night and the second novel in The Deepgate Codex.

Looking good.

Jacqueline Carey: Kushiel's Mercy (Late 2008)

The conclusion to The Imriel Trilogy.

Not currently listed by Amazon.co.uk so who knows?

Kate Elliott: Shadow Gate (7 February 2008)

The second book (in seven) of the Crossroads series, which is (slightly confusingly) a fantasy novel set in Elliott's SF Jaran universe.

Still on track.

Steven Erikson: Toll the Hounds (June 2008)

Erikson is a writing machine, according to some interviews already way past the halfway point in writing the eighth Malazan Book of the Fallen novel. There's also a rumour that the fourth Korbal Broach and Bauchelain novella will arrive around the same time.

Delayed until 11 August 2008.

Ian Cameron Esslemont: Return of the Crimson Guard (July 2008)

Already complete, ICE's much-awaited second novel set in the Malazan world is set for release shortly after Toll the Hounds.

Not even listed on Amazon yet. However, given that the book takes place after The Bonehunters, the delay on Toll the Hounds may not effect its release.

Raymond E. Feist: The Demonwar Book 1 (late 2008)

The penultimate Riftwar series (a duology) kicks off with the Fourth Riftwar, which is apparently 'short but extremely nasty'.

The delay of Wrath of a Mad God to May 2008 means that the first Demonwar book will likely be delayed until early 2009.

Peter F. Hamilton: The Temporal Void (late 2008/early 2009)

The second volume in The Void Trilogy, following on from The Dreaming Void (out this week in the UK). PFH usually takes 18 months between books, but his blog suggests that this second book (which he's already started writing) could squeeze out a little over a year after Book 1, suggesting it's similarly 'short' (although at 600 pages in hardcover it's only short by PFH's normal standards).

PFH now reports that doesn't expect to complete this book until Easter 2008, making a November 2008 publication possible but Spring 2009 more likely.

Robert Jordan: A Memory of Light (Late 2008/early 2009)

Despite Tom Doherty confirming that Tor weren't expecting to publish this before spring 2009, Jordan's recent comments about getting the prologue online in the next few months have indicated that work on the book is going better than expected. I still doubt we'll see it in 2008, but there now seems to be a better chance than before of it happening.

Obviously this one is now totally up in the air. Give it a few months to see what Tor and Harriet want to do. 2008 publication is still possible but 2009 is far more likely.

Paul Kearney: The Monarchies of God (Mid-2008)

Kearney's excellent epic fantasy quintet will be republished by Solaris Books in one volume in the summer of 2008. The final part of the story, Ships from the West, is being rewritten for this new edition.

Still on track for Summer 2008. PK recently confirmed that Ships from the West is being lengthened by a chunky 40,000 words for the new edition.

Paul Kearney: The Ten Thousand (Mid-2008)

Kearney's new novel featuers a mercenary company stranded at the heart of a hostile empire.

Also on target.

Katherine Kerr: The Shadow Isle (late 2008)

Either the third volume of The Silver Wyrm or the sixth volume of The Dragon Mage depending on where you live. Supposedly the twelfth and final novel in the Deverry mega-cycle.

Now listed for a surprisingly early release 6 May 2008.

Greg Keyes: The Born Queen (25 March 2008)

The concluding part of Keyes' Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone quartet arrives in March, which means I can start reading the first book in February or March or thereabouts.

Still on target.

Tom Lloyd: The Grave Thief (17 July 2008)

The third volume of The Twilight Reign, following on from The Stormcaller and The Twilight Herald.

This distinctly under-mentioned fantasy trilogy is still on target for its conclusion.

Scott Lynch: The Republic of Thieves (June-July 2008)

The third book of The Gentleman Bastard is expected in summer 2008.

Listed as 1 June 2008, but an August release looks more likely to me.

Scott Lynch: The Bastards and the Knives (May 2008)

This is an omnibus edition consisting of two novellas, The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic and Choir of Knives. Subterranean Press will be printing the US edition but Gollancz will be releasing the UK edition either just before or just after the next main sequence novel.

As pointed out, Gollancz can't release their edition of this until November 2009.

George RR Martin: A Dance with Dragons (Mid-2008)

Making its second appearance on the list (maybe third, I can't remember if we did this for 2006), the much-delayed ADWD. And (to head off inevitable dissent) yeah it might not come out until 2052 or something, but Bantam US at least seem positive about the book making it out in 2008.

Endlessly debated elsewhere. Locus and Amazon seem to be pretty sure it's June 2008 and Bantam seem hopeful a spring/summer 2008 release, but GRRM is still writing the book at this time.

China Mieville: Kraken (May 2008)

I'm hearing lots of rumours about this book but virtually no solid facts. Before he finished Un Lun Dun Mieville said he wanted to do a couple of stand-alone books before returning to Bas-Lag, so we can perhaps assume that Kraken doesn't take place in Bas-Lag. Beyond that, nothing is known about the book (save that some websites are saying late 2007 rather than May 2008 for release).

Amazon are now listing this for 7 November 2008 in the USA (by Tor). No-one seems to know WTH this book is about though.

Richard Morgan: A Land Fit For Heroes (21 August 2008)

Apparently the opening volume of a series bringing Morgan's trademark violence and noir stylings to epic fantasy.

Right, some movement on this. The Steel Remains is now the title of Book 1 of the trilogy. The overall trilogy title is undecided (A Land Fit For Heroes is still a possibility though). The release date seems pretty fixed.

Christopher Priest: The Inverted World (14 February 2008)

Priest's classic 1970s SF novel reappears as part of the SF Masterworks range.

Still on target. No word of his next new novel though.

Philip Pullman: The Book of Dust (late 2008)

Actually, I just threw this one in here for the sheer hell of it. Pullman's semi-sequel to His Dark Materials has been on the cards for half a decade now, and still no sign of when it might arrive. Pullman himself has hinted 2009 (according to Wiki) but who knows?

2009 seems to be more likely now.

Alastair Reynolds: House of Suns (17 April 2008)

Although he's promised a sequel to The Prefect at some point, Reynolds next project is a stand-alone set millions of years into the future featuring a character who has split themselves into thousands of clones, only for someone to start killing them for an unknown purpose.

As always, Reynolds is rock-solid reliable with this next book.

Patrick Rothfuss: The Wise Man's Fear (March 2008)

The sequel to the much-discussed The Name of the Wind.

Indefinitely delayed, although I'd be surprised to see it much later than August.

Brian Ruckley: Bloodheir (May 2008)

The sequel to Winterbirth.

Now listed for 5 June 2008.

Andrzej Sapkowski: Blood of the Elves (18 September 2008)

The first novel in the Blood of the Elves quintet from Poland's biggest fantasy author arrives from Gollancz, following on from the anthology The Last Wish.

Still on target.

Tad Williams: Shadowrise (late 2008)

This is very tentative, given the delays on Shadowplay, but Shadowrise will be the concluding novel in the Shadowmarch Trilogy.

Much more likely for 2009.

Archived