What are the best quotes/lines in the book?

Fireball07

A prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it, and think how sweet, how fine, how good this is...and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams.

A Maester in AFFC

Men respect Stannis, even fear him, but precious few have ever loved him.

Renley in ACOK

As many times as I've fucked you, you're likely with child. It's not every man who has the honor of raising a king's bastard.

Theon to the Captain's daughter he seduced on his way to Pike. Another reason Theon was a jerk even before he betrayed Robb.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. - Just some Jojen awesomeness.

Heh! - Walder Frey.

Is there gold hidden in the village? Is there silver? Gems? Is there food? Where is Lord Beric? Where did he go? How many men were with him? How many knights? How many bowmen? How many, how many, how many, how many, how many, how many? Is there gold in the village? - Arya going bad.

Also: You shouldn't have hit me with an axe,' she said. 'You should have saved my mother.' -Arya leaving the Hound to die. It isn't really a great quote, but I always get goosebumps.

"On your knees, Onion Knight."

"Your Grace?"

"For your onions and fish, I made you a knight once. For this, I am of a mind to raise you to lord."

This? Davos was lost. "I am content to be your knight, Your Grace. I would not know how to begin being lordly."

"Good. To be lordly is to be false. I have learned that lesson hard. Now, kneel. Your king commands."

"The best pie you have ever tasted, my lords. Wash it down with Arbor gold and savor every bite. I know I shall."

"We should have a song about the Rat Cook. Singer, give us a song about the Rat Cook."

- Titus Andronicus Wyman Manderly

• 1 month later...

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mande Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"-Stannis Baratheon.

And my signature.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mande Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"-Stannis Baratheon.

And my signature.

Stannis is the ultimate badass in this chapter.

“Never call him that!” Spittle sprayed from Theon’s lips. “Ramsay Bolton, not Ramsay Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his name, or he will hurt you.”

“He is welcome to try. Whatever name he goes by.”

The Theon Gift chapter might be one of my favorite chapters in the series and gives me hope that TWOW will be epic.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a quote that I believe was from either A Storm of Swords or A Feast for Crows. It is a character's thoughts about war related atrocities, how some men can pillage and kill during wartime but then go back to their families and live normal lives in comparison to the real bad ones (like Gregor Clegane, Ramsay Bolton and the Bloody Mummers) who do these kinds of things out of malice.

I'm looking for a quote that I believe was from either A Storm of Swords or A Feast for Crows. It is a character's thoughts about war related atrocities, how some men can pillage and kill during wartime but then go back to their families and live normal lives in comparison to the real bad ones (like Gregor Clegane, Ramsay Bolton and the Bloody Mummers) who do these kinds of things out of malice.

Nobody who can help me with this one? I will however post my favourites here too, it will be a long post so I put a spoiler on it:

[spoiler]The entire conversation between Stannis and Renly in Stormlands through Cat’s POV (A Clash of Kings), Tyrion and Varys about power (Clash of Kings) and Jaime and Blackfish (A Feast for Crows).

Meribald’s speech about broken men in A Feast for Crows.

Tyrion: “Cersei is as gentle as King Maegor, as selfless as Aegon the Unworthy, as wise as Mad Aerys. She never forgets a slight, real or imagined. She takes caution for cowardice, and dissent for defiance. And she is greedy. Greedy for power, for honor, for love. Tommen’s rule is bolstered by all of the alliances that my lord father built so carefully, but soon enough she will destroy them, every one.”

- A Dance With Dragons

Arya: ''Maybe I never saw a camel, but I know a camel's cunt when I smell one''

- A Feast for Crows

“Who in seven hells is this one?”

“The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard,” Jaime returned with cold courtesy. “I might ask the same of you, my lady.”

“Lady? I’m no lady. I’m the queen.”

“My sister will be surprised to hear that.”

“Lord Ryman crowned me his very self.” She gave a shake of her ample hips. “I’m the queen o’ whores.”

No, Jaime thought, my sweet sister holds that title too.”

- A Feast for Crows

Tywin: "No man is free. Only children and fools think elsewise."

Masha: “Don’t kill him here!” (regarding Tyrion)

Tyrion: “Don’t kill him anywhere.”

- A Game of Thrones

Littlefinger: “Every man's a piece to start with, and every maid as well. Even some who think they are players. Cersei, for one. She thinks herself sly, but in truth she is utterly predictable. Her strength rests on her beauty, birth, and riches. Only the first of those is truly her own, and it will soon desert her. I pity her then. She wants power, but has no notion what to do with it when she gets it.”

- A Storm of Swords

Stannis: “I thought the wet nurse was this man Craster’s daughter?”

Melisandre: “Wife and daughter both, Your Grace. Craster married all his daughters. Gilly’s boy was the fruit of their union.”

Stannis: “Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King’s Landing.”

- A Dance with Dragons

Tywin: “You shot me.”

Tyrion: “You always were quick to grasp a situation, my lord, that must be why you’re the Hand of the King.”

Tywin: “You ... you are no ... no son of mine.”

Tyrion: “Now that’s where you’re wrong, Father. Why, I believe I’m you writ small. Do me a kindness now, and die quickly. I have a ship to catch.”

- A Storm of Swords

Roose: "All you have I gave you. You would do well to remember that, bastard. As for this... Reek... if you have not ruined him beyond redemption, he may yet be of some use to us. Get the keys and remove those chains from him, before you make me rue the day I raped your mother."

- A Dance with Dragons

Tyrion: “No. Sansa is no longer yours to torment. Understand that, monster.”

Joffrey: “You’re the monster, Uncle.”

Tyrion: “Am I? Perhaps you should speak more softly to me, then. Monsters are dangerous beasts, and just now kings seem to be dying like flies.”

- A Storm of Swords

Jorah: “The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace. They never are.”

- A Game of Thrones

Cersei: “I shall wear this as a badge of honor.”

Robert: “Wear it in silence or I’ll honor you again.”

- A Game of Thrones

Tattered Prince – “Ser Lucifer is still seething over that slave girl Caggo took from him.”

Lucifer Long – “He could have given her back when he'd had her. He had no cause to kill her.”

Caggo – “She was ugly, that's cause enough.”

- A Dance with Dragons

Shagwell: “You mustn't hurt sweet Shagwell, I'm too droll to die.”

Brienne: “You are no better than the rest of them. You have robbed and raped and murdered."

Shagwell: "Oh, I have, I have, I shan't deny it . . . but I'm amusing, with all my japes and capers. I make men laugh."

Brienne: ”And women weep.”

Shagwell: "Is that my fault? Women have no sense of humor."

- A Feast for Crows

Jaime: “My apologies if I mistook you for something you’re not. My little brother has known a hundred whores, I’m sure, but I’ve only ever bedded one.”

- A Dance with Dragons

Tyrion "My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge."

- A Game of Thrones

Cersei: "The king is my son!"

Kevan: "Aye, and from what I saw of Joffrey, you are as unfit a mother as you are a ruler."

- A Feast for Crows

Jaime: “Ser, you’ve been remiss in teaching our new brothers their duties.”

Meryn: “What duties?”

Jaime: “Keeping the king alive. How many monarchs have you lost since I left the city? Two, is it?”

- A Storm of Swords

Joffrey: She has the blood of a wolf.

Tyrion: And you have the wits of a goose.

- A Clash of Kings[spoiler]

• 3 months later...

Those from Tales of Dunk and Egg qualify ? I want to come with new quotes, because i don't want to repeat what others have said.

I liked what Dunk thought when Egg wasn't allowed to join the feast in The Mystery Knight, because he was only a squire :

"If you had an inkling who he was, you would seat him on the dais on a cushioned throne."

Also what Egg thought of dragons :

"Someday the dragons will return. My brother Daeron's dreamed of it, and King Aerys read it in a prophecy. Maybe it will be my egg that hatches. That would be splendid."

Also in the Sworn Sword when Ser Bennis was pinching Egg :

“I’m your squire, not his,” the boy said. “He’s dirty and mean-mouthed, and he pinches me.”

"If he had an inkling who you were, he’d piss himself before he laid a finger on you.“

Archived