CA prop 8 donors google mapped

Guest Ro_

[quote name='TerraPrime' post='1654141' date='Jan 19 2009, 19.24']That's right. You tell them what to do, Tempra, you champion of equal rights and combatant in the trenches of equal rights for LBGT people you.[/quote]
Ahahahahaha!!!!

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1654146' date='Jan 19 2009, 19.30']TP,

Please tell me you aren't condoning threats, physical violence, and harrassement?[/quote]
Of course not, and you know it. He's poking fun at Tempra, who richly deserves it.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1654207' date='Jan 19 2009, 15.09']Also very useful information for harrasment/threats/assault purposes.[/quote]
Very true. But those things are illegal. Transparency is not, and it shouldn't be blamed for the actions of idiots.

Honestly, as a small business owner... there's a reason I've never donated to any political campaigns or written letters to the editor. Hell... I tread lightly when it comes to the University of Kentucky vs. University of Louisville rivalry.

Boycotting is a legitimate response to a situation like this. I think perhaps mapping where they work might be better than mapping where they live for this purpose...

Lev,

[quote name='Pax Thien Jolie-Pitt' post='1654200' date='Jan 19 2009, 15.06']Scot,

Please tell me where in his post did TP condoned threats, physical violence and harrassment?

On the database/map .......... very useful information for boycotting purposes.[/quote]

Because I think Tempra's right the agressive tactics (not the boycott) the complaint alleges will serve to hurt the cause of Prop 8 opponents. TP's response:

[quote]That's right. You tell them what to do, Tempra, you champion of equal rights and combatant in the trenches of equal rights for LBGT people you.[/quote]

seems to imply there's something wrong with calling the Prop 8 opponents out for using unsavory tactics.

[quote name='Deluge' post='1654213' date='Jan 19 2009, 15.11']Very true. But those things are illegal. Transparency is not, and it shouldn't be blamed for the actions of idiots.[/quote]

Except there's a reason we have secret ballots for elections. Transparency is not always in the best interest of everyone.

Guest thebadlady
On this pre-historic day, how about comparing this to another boycott? I am thinking of the bus boycott, ofc. Boycotts work. Besides, its really hard to care about bigots in any positive way.

Stego,

[quote name='Stego' post='1654229' date='Jan 19 2009, 15.18']Boycotting Hatemongers is A-OK in my book!

Good for the people who made the map.[/quote]

I agree with you regarding boycotts. The problem is the people who take the step beyond boycotting. Threatening, defacing property, and physically attacking people who donated in support of Prop 8 is waaaaay beyond the pale. The people who made the map have to recognize they are opening the people who made the donations to more than simple boycotts.

Rhelle,

[quote]Besides, its really hard to care about bigots in any positive way.[/quote]

Rights to be free from harrassement and attack exist for everyone, or no one. How long will it take for you to hold an opinion others see as odious that makes you not worthy of defending?

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1654245' date='Jan 19 2009, 15.26']On this pre-historic day, how about comparing this to another boycott? I am thinking of the bus boycott, ofc. Boycotts work. Besides, its really hard to care about bigots in any positive way.[/quote]

Yeah, it's not like their "people" or something.

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1654247' date='Jan 19 2009, 14.27']Stego,

I agree with you regarding boycotts. The problem is the people who take the step beyond boycotting. Threatening, defacing property, and physically attacking people who donated in support of Prop 8 is waaaaay beyond the pale. The people who made the map have to recognize they are opening the people who made the donations to more than simple boycotts.[/quote]

The History channel has an excellent two hour piece on Dr MLK jr, running last night and today. The graphic images of de-segregating the south are just disgusting - for the hate filled racists. Gays are no different than any other minority class except for lacking the rights any other minority class enjoys. Replace Jew/Black/Floridian with gay when you say _____ should never be allowed to marry, its wrong and unnatural! Would that fly?

Besides, there are no reports of actual physical harm done. Gay people cannot say the same thing.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1654232' date='Jan 19 2009, 15.19']Except there's a reason we have secret ballots for elections. Transparency is not always in the best interest of everyone.[/quote]
This isn't a map of how people voted, it's a map of people who were active in organizing the measure.

Rhelle,

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1654259' date='Jan 19 2009, 15.31']The History channel has an excellent two hour piece on Dr MLK jr, running last night and today. The graphic images of de-segregating the south are just disgusting - for the hate filled racists. Gays are no different than any other minority class except for lacking the rights any other minority class enjoys. Replace Jew/Black/Floridian with gay when you say _____ should never be allowed to marry, its wrong and unnatural! Would that fly?[/quote]

The racists in the South, and elsewhere were and are disgusting. I'm not defending Prop 8. I opposed it and said here I sincerely hoped it would not pass. I'm saying being in favor of Prop 8 shouldn't open it's supporters up to harrassement and physical attack. That's simply unacceptable.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1654263' date='Jan 19 2009, 15.33']Rhelle,

The racists in the South, and elsewhere where and are disgusting. I'm not defending Prop 8. I opposed it and said here I sincerely hoped it would not pass. I'm saying being in favor of Prop 8 shouldn't open it's supporters up to harrassement and physical attack. That's simply unacceptable.[/quote]
We all agree with you Scot! And presumably, officials in the area will organize some way to stop the intimidation that is going on. I only hope that it doesn't end with the censoring of this information, which will put a stop to legitimate forms of protest.

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Shryke' post='1654254' date='Jan 19 2009, 14.29']Yeah, it's not like their "people" or something.[/quote]

Or, they are (they're) special people in god's image too.

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Deluge' post='1654270' date='Jan 19 2009, 14.36']We all agree with you Scot! And presumably, officials in the area will organize some way to stop the intimidation that is going on. I only hope that it doesn't end with the censoring of this information, which will put a stop to legitimate forms of protest.[/quote]

Man has a right to legislate and fear the buttsexx. *eyerolling groan*

Though why in hell anyone thinks its their right to legislate anyone's bedroom activities is a mystery to me. Its also downright creepy how the bigots are all up in everyone's business.

Jealous?

[quote]Rights to be free from harrassement and attack exist for everyone, or no one. How long will it take for you to hold an opinion others see as odious that makes you not worthy of defending?[/quote]

So, you're against online sexual offenders databases?

I value my privacy, and can see why the transparency exists...but in this instance, I don't see how you'd be able to reconcile the two. Either something is a matter of the public record, and people are able to do what they will with the data, or it's not.

I can't remember everyone's opinion RE: the online predator databases, but I seem to recall a fair number of people saying they thought it was a good idea, and I don't see how this is any different when it comes to what happens with the information.

Archived