The Acts of Caine by Matt Woodring Stover

Larry.

Not too much left in Heroes Die, and this seems as if it setting up for a great climax. It also feels, to me, as if this book is a set up to the rest of the series. Meaning, I'm not walking away from it with any big revelelations or anything. Great characters and good pace, but, there is something in the prose that makes you work a little bit, can't put my finger on it.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm about halfway through BoT. Its actually very good and a huge improvement from HD. One thing I don't understand you guys might help me out with.

So, when we get the first scene with Kolberg and he's a Laborer now, what happens there? Is it a dream? Does he really eat that woman's face? Did the Bog send him some transmission through the computer screen? Really confused to exactly what the hell went on there.

So I'm about halfway through BoT. Its actually very good and a huge improvement from HD. One thing I don't understand you guys might help me out with.

So, when we get the first scene with Kolberg and he's a Laborer now, what happens there? Is it a dream? Does he really eat that woman's face? Did the Bog send him some transmission through the computer screen? Really confused to exactly what the hell went on there.

Yeah, for me, that was the start of things just getting weird. It gets much, MUCH weirder as you go along. It gets very confusing, IMO.

I don't think it's a dream. I believe the blind god did something to him, and he ceases to be Kollberg after he clicks yes. But yeah, it's pretty weird.

ETA: Spoiler tag isn't working, but this isn't really a spoiler anyway.

Yeah, for me, that was the start of things just getting weird. It gets much, MUCH weirder as you go along. It gets very confusing, IMO.

It took a reread for me to understand what the hell was up with Kosall, the blind god, and the power of the river. But I think I'm pretty clear on most of it now (at least, as far as that's possible).

I liked the books a decent amount (my kindle broke, again, about 2/3 through the fourth one though)

I definitely liked the first oone the best. He kind of went off the rails later, throwing concepts out rapid-fire without giving them the attention they deserved. (and a lot of the concepts were hit-and-miss)

I never made the Blind God connection. I did read the part where Hari reads his Dad's book about the Blind God after this. And yea, I get the connection now. So I'm assuming I should keep an eye out for the Blind God and his manifestations, from here on out.

Took me a while too.

I liked the books a decent amount (my kindle broke, again, about 2/3 through the fourth one though)

I definitely liked the first oone the best. He kind of went off the rails later, throwing concepts out rapid-fire without giving them the attention they deserved. (and a lot of the concepts were hit-and-miss)

Kind of agree about going off the rails, but OH MY GOD was it ever a crazy ride! Hard to read at time, because the books were so hardcore in the gore and creeping dread of interstellar evil stuff, too.

• 4 months later...

So, half way through Blade of Tyshalle, and im assuming the Blind God is what is in control of Kollberg. And, the scene where Ma'elkoth is led by the soapy's to speak with him is some serious Grimdark shit. It seems as if the way the gods work so far, is that they inhabit a soul. Blind God=Kollberg, Dragoness=Shanks? Is Raithe a god now too? That's the vibe I got.

I don't know that they are all gods per se, but they are all represented in that mythology.  Some of them were confusing, I know there were plenty of times I thought they were talking about Caine only to later in the chapter realize it was Delian.

So, half way through Blade of Tyshalle, and im assuming the Blind God is what is in control of Kollberg. And, the scene where Ma'elkoth is led by the soapy's to speak with him is some serious Grimdark shit. It seems as if the way the gods work so far, is that they inhabit a soul. Blind God=Kollberg, Dragoness=Shanks? Is Raithe a god now too? That's the vibe I got.

Don't take them too literally, they're not actually all gods, but yes, the dragoness refers to Shanks. Raithe is the Dark Angel's spawn, and I personlly thought Kollberg was an expression of the Blind God's will, but not the Blind God itself.

It'll likely more sense in retrospect, that's how it was with me. I'm reading it for the third time and it actually kind of makes sense now.

I finished the series a couple weeks ago and had a lengthy post about my thoughts and several questions regarding the end of the saga... but I lost it all in the forum rebirth.  :(  It was a great read and I enjoyed it immensely.  Damn shame that it doesn't sell better.

I will echo those above that say the cover for Heroes Die does it no favors.  I was reading it when I broke my finger 3 months ago and took it with me to the hospital the day of my surgery and every time a nurse or doctor came into the room, I felt I had to lay it face down.  :lol:

Kollberg is one of the sickest characters I've ever come across. Seriously, it gives me chills to read about him. Imagining the scene and such. Stover really went above and beyond in his grimdark with him.

Just about every scene he's in is sickening. His stage presence is amazing though. He was no angel in HD but I tensed up just about every time he was on-page in BoT.

I was surprised at how relieved I felt when he died. Like, goosebumps and a breath out that made me feel lighter, 'thank god that's over, the world's a better place now.' Pretty good death scene too, I just wish we could've seen it first hand from Avery's perspective.

I finished the series a couple weeks ago and had a lengthy post about my thoughts and several questions regarding the end of the saga... but I lost it all in the forum rebirth.  :(  It was a great read and I enjoyed it immensely.  Damn shame that it doesn't sell better.

I will echo those above that say the cover for Heroes Die does it no favors.  I was reading it when I broke my finger 3 months ago and took it with me to the hospital the day of my surgery and every time a nurse or doctor came into the room, I felt I had to lay it face down.  :lol:

Yea, the cover lends itself to a more fanciful, childish book. But, it is far from that.

Yea, the cover lends itself to a more fanciful, childish book. But, it is far from that.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember all the questions that I asked prior to the Great Board Purge of '15...

But one question that has lingered that I'm not even sure what the answer was.  In the last book, the central theme really seemed to be "What if you could undo the worst thing you ever did?"

What was Caine's worst thing?  I'm pretty sure he says at one point that the slaughter of the Black Knife pups "wasn't even close."

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember all the questions that I asked prior to the Great Board Purge of '15...

But one question that has lingered that I'm not even sure what the answer was.  In the last book, the central theme really seemed to be "What if you could undo the worst thing you ever did?"

What was Caine's worst thing?  I'm pretty sure he says at one point that the slaughter of the Black Knife pups "wasn't even close."

I don't think it's ever stated outright. But it's been a while since I read it.

I always thought was kind of a weird central question. I mean, is there a soul on this world who wouldn't do it in a heartbeat? It's kind of rhetorical.

Archived