Israeli Forces attack Aid Flotilla to Gaza

Shryke

Settle down. It's a potential source. POTENTIAL AND POSSIBLY WRONG, JUST LIKE I SAID EARLIER.

What happened to the traditionally good (relatively speaking) relationships between Israel and Turkey?

The details of this incident seem pretty sketchy atm. A bit early to pass judgement I'd say.

Apparently not tzanth. Even without almost any information, we must conclude that Israel can have done nothing wrong.

But really, reports are all over the place. As I said in the OP, we'll have to wait till stuff settles down to get any information.

I am not an expert on sea warfare. However, given the narrow margins of our national waters, I guess they had little choice in the matter. Also, you say "aid ship:. I can just as easily say "terrorist ship" with aid workers on board as shield.

Except afaik you aren't allowed to do that. You don't get to violate international waters just because it's inconvenient otherwise.

What happened to the traditionally good (relatively speaking) relationships between Israel and Turkey?

They are deliberately being trashed by the current religious Islamic government of Turkey. They have turned their back to the possibility of joining the EU and are now busy making friends with everyone around them (Lebanon, Syria, Iran, etc.) at our expense.

Except afaik you aren't allowed to do that. You don't get to violate international waters just because it's inconvenient otherwise.

Take it up with the international court. Isn't there an exception if you know someone is headed your way and intends to breach? Maybe some of the legal minds on the board know.

3. I am not an expert on sea warfare. However, given the narrow margins of our national waters, I guess they had little choice in the matter.

Well that makes things easier, I guess Canada can go ahead and start sinking and otherwise destroying European fishing trawlers.

Take it up with the international court. Isn't there an exception if you know someone is headed your way and intends to breach? Maybe some of the legal minds on the board know.

Ahh, so basically "Fuck International Law".

Well that makes things easier, I guess Canada can go ahead and start sinking and otherwise destroying European fishing trawlers.

Woot! Salamander says it's ok, so we're all set.

...and are now busy making friends with everyone around them (Lebanon, Syria, Iran, etc.)...

That sounds like a good policy to me. Making friends with your neighbors

Really? You mean the start of the violence wasn't the, y'know, boarding?

No. that's why it's called boarding and not violence. If you forcibly take a gun from one of the boarders and open fire on the other armed soldiers (which the news are now reporting what happened), then that's violence.

No. that's why it's called boarding and not violence. If you forcibly take a gun from one of the boarders and open fire on the other armed soldiers (which the news are now reporting what happened), then that's violence.

Ahh, so forcing yourself onto the deck of someone else's ship is just, what, crashing their party? No harm no foul?

Just like forcing your way into someones home is perfectly ok as long as you don't start taking shit or starting fights.

So if someone broke into your house with a machine gun you wouldn't consider that a violent action?

So it's not violence when a pirate boards a ship? There are some Somalis that need to be aplogized to then.

Woot! Salamander says it's ok, so we're all set.

Hey this means we get control over the North-West Passage to. And fuck what the UN says.

Seriously. We all know this is a propaganda war from both sides. But even you can't believe that story, can you. (I'm assuming they did send special forces in and not some green draftees)

Boarding implies use of violence to achieve control of the ship. How do you think the IDF got aboard the ship, by asking nicely?

So if someone broke into your house with a machine gun you wouldn't consider that a violent action?

Depends. If he's a police officer with a warrant for my arrest and inspection of my home I think not. If he's a crazy axe gun mass murderer I think yes. If he's a member of the Texas Rangers force here to stop me for my crimes... I dunno. :rolleyes:

Ahh, so forcing yourself onto the deck of someone else's ship is just, what, crashing their party? No harm no foul?

Just like forcing your way into someones home is perfectly ok as long as you don't start taking shit or starting fights.

I am assuming that you, Shryke, as well as the rest of the world, did not have any problem with our Troops engaging in military action against ships carrying munitions for our enemies all over the world.

Now, suddenly, just because these ships have no munitions on them it's a whole different ballgame? They were trying to run a blockade. If we let them get away with it, they would start running the blockade every time, and the next ships, I assure you, will be carrying munition. BTW, the Israeli government promised to deliver everything these boats wanted to transport (after due inspection) to the people of Gaza. The organizers said "no". This was not about the actual aid. This was to create a provocation and see if we had the nerve to keep up the blockade.

Archived