How Long Have You Been A Fan?

LadySansa

I'm in my early twenties and started reading ASOIAF when I was around 15 I think. My dad was the one who discovered the series and he gave me the books when he was done with them. Now I am a rabid fan and he is not. I ran through the first three and then when the fourth came out I ran through that. Now, years later, I am fully prepared to run through ADWD.

I'm really excited and can't wait for July 12th. I live in NYC and I'm guessing there will be a bunch of fanfare and huge lines. I want to meet some ASOIAF readers but would rather not meet the more psychotic ones. Are there any special events going on in NYC around the time of the release of ADWD? What about something related to the HBO show? I don't watch TV at all and am definitely not paying any money for cable, let alone HBO, but I kind of want to see the show and see if I like it. I have a feeling I won't because I prefer to read than watch but I still want to give it a shot since I found out GRRM was very involved in the production. I'm also not too crazy about all the graphic sex scenes and just the general constant near nakedness of some people(I know I am probably in the minority here) and am a real wuss when it comes to bloody violence or torture on screen. Amazing that I like the books, huh?

Have any of you made any friends at events like this? I find myself craving ASOIAF companionship! I've even gone so far as to tell my boyfriend what the story is about, tell him the cliffhangers, and ramble on and on and on about what I think will happen but he doesn't have any ideas to throw back at me. No, he won't read the series, I tried. I told him there is lots of sex and it didn't work. I told him I would read it to him and it didn't work. I told him I would buy the audio version and it didn't work. I told him he could watch the HBO show and it didn't work. I don't think it's going to work.

Also, late question. How many times have you all reread the series? I've reread the last three books at least 40 or 50 times each. I've only read AGOT three or four times though. For the last year I've just been reading those three books over and over again. I read them in order, then in reverse order, and then in random order. I keep one of the books in the bathroom and one in the kitchen so I can read while bathing and cooking. It's gotten to the point where I can open any book to any page and tell you exactly what scene it is, everything that happened up to that point, and everything that is going to happen after. Please tell me I am not the only one.

I started to Read the Series in 2001 shortly After the German Translation of asos was released. funny Thing is, I cant for the Life of me remember Why I picked the Books up in the First Place. I told about 70% of the People I Know about the Books and how Great they are but Most of them Never Read em. I convinced my Mother and 2 good Friends though, so I have at least someone to Talk about them. I Read Book 1-3 3 Times and affc 2 Times. I think I will Start a fourth reread soon to prepare for adwd!

I've been a GRRM fan since the early 90s (or maybe even late 80s). I started ASOIAF somewhere around 1999 or 2000, but anything between 1998 and 2003 is kind of a haze. Grad school and living abroad does that to you. ;)

I then reread the series in 2003, which I do clearly remember, so we'll call that my First Coherent Read of ASOIAF. :lol:

As for the other queries -- your best bet is to head over to the Brotherhood Without Banners subforum. But I'll answer some of your queries here, too.

1) We are not doing anything organized for the HBO premier, as it was impossible to find a bar willing to host a party involving an HBO show. fitheach can give you more details on that. It's likely that Mr. X and I won't even be in town for the premier, but you might be able to find a seat on a couch from one of the other NYC BwB.

2) I've met more than 100 members of the BwB. Some, only once. Others are among my closest friends and we make an effort to see each other a couple of times a year. Still others are among my closest friends, but because they live in barbarian lands such as Scotland and Philadelphia, I only see them once every few years.

3) Not sure if we'll do anything formal for the book release. I mean, certainly nothing on the day of the book release or anything soon after, because we'll be busy reading and arguing here. That said, we have had informal meet-ups in the past and maybe we can organize something for when the weather is nicer.

My Mom has been reading the series since GOT first came out and berated me to read the series... Finally picked it up in 2008.

On July 12 I will be on my last day of a year long deployment to Asscrackistan and will be sitting in Manas AB sipping my beer and reading the book on my Kindle.

No one I know is tempted by the TV show. To be honest I'm not too tempted by the show either. I much prefer reading to watching TV.

I tried getting one of my friends to read the series because I know she loves fantasy and she also loves all the same strange things I do so I figured the books would be great for her. She keeps saying she will pick up a copy of AGOT but hasn't done so yet. I offered to mail a copy to her so we will see what happens. Hopefully I can at least convince my brother to read them.

I saw someone on the train reading one of the books and I wanted to say something so badly but I didn't want to be a psycho.

I first read GRRM back in the early 90's, but sort of as I read a lot of other SF authors at the time, not as a particular fan of a particular author. But around 1997, when AGoT came out in paperback, Linda convinced me to read it ... and the rest is history. :)

I've reread the last three books at least 40 or 50 times each. I've only read AGOT three or four times though. For the last year I've just been reading those three books over and over again. I read them in order, then in reverse order, and then in random order. I keep one of the books in the bathroom and one in the kitchen so I can read while bathing and cooking. It's gotten to the point where I can open any book to any page and tell you exactly what scene it is, everything that happened up to that point, and everything that is going to happen after. Please tell me I am not the only one.

:mellow:

That's a bit much. Do you want some suggestions for other books? Pop down to the literature forum.

I started the series in 2001 and since have reread the current books every couple of years, sometimes in series order, sometimes by each PoV. After finishing SoS that year I went on to buy/read almost all of Martin's other works (sans Wildcards). I've read a ton of sci-fi/fantasy series, but for me nothing compares to asoiaf.

I'm in my early twenties and started reading ASOIAF when I was around 15 I think. My dad was the one who discovered the series and he gave me the books when he was done with them. Now I am a rabid fan and he is not. I ran through the first three and then when the fourth came out I ran through that. Now, years later, I am fully prepared to run through ADWD.

I'm really excited and can't wait for July 12th. I live in NYC and I'm guessing there will be a bunch of fanfare and huge lines. I want to meet some ASOIAF readers but would rather not meet the more psychotic ones. Are there any special events going on in NYC around the time of the release of ADWD? What about something related to the HBO show? I don't watch TV at all and am definitely not paying any money for cable, let alone HBO, but I kind of want to see the show and see if I like it. I have a feeling I won't because I prefer to read than watch but I still want to give it a shot since I found out GRRM was very involved in the production. I'm also not too crazy about all the graphic sex scenes and just the general constant near nakedness of some people(I know I am probably in the minority here) and am a real wuss when it comes to bloody violence or torture on screen. Amazing that I like the books, huh?

Have any of you made any friends at events like this? I find myself craving ASOIAF companionship! I've even gone so far as to tell my boyfriend what the story is about, tell him the cliffhangers, and ramble on and on and on about what I think will happen but he doesn't have any ideas to throw back at me. No, he won't read the series, I tried. I told him there is lots of sex and it didn't work. I told him I would read it to him and it didn't work. I told him I would buy the audio version and it didn't work. I told him he could watch the HBO show and it didn't work. I don't think it's going to work.

Also, late question. How many times have you all reread the series? I've reread the last three books at least 40 or 50 times each. I've only read AGOT three or four times though. For the last year I've just been reading those three books over and over again. I read them in order, then in reverse order, and then in random order. I keep one of the books in the bathroom and one in the kitchen so I can read while bathing and cooking. It's gotten to the point where I can open any book to any page and tell you exactly what scene it is, everything that happened up to that point, and everything that is going to happen after. Please tell me I am not the only one.

You are not the only one. I've been rereading the books constantly for 6 years (with other good stuff mixed in). I also have all the audio books on my ipod and listen to those constantly. I even had a very good friend of mine (an English teacher and dramatist) read all the books onto a recording device and listen to those (and Roy Dotrice) constantly.

I first read GRRM back in the early 90's, but sort of as I read a lot of other SF authors at the time, not as a particular fan of a particular author. But around 1997, when AGoT came out in paperback, Linda convinced me to read it ... and the rest is history. :)

It's funny. You reading these books and creating this site made my life more fun. Thanks. :)

i'm a newbie, i started sometime last year (February or March can't remember), i heard about the books on another forum where they were talking about this new show and for some weird reason a few days later i was browsing B&N and came across the hardcover for AGOT and picked it up and that was that.

I know, I know! I really need to discover another author. I'm just not sure about it. I've read other fantasy books and enjoyed them.

What I love about these books is that GRRM (haha I pronounce this "grim" in my mind) is just an amazing author. He could write about anything and it would be good. If you took all the sex, incest, rape, and extreme violence out of the books they would be great for kids too. Of course that would be removing half of the books so they would be a bit shorter...

I think GRRM should, after finishing the series please, write some more books for children. Authors like him are rare and he could really help a lot of kids learn to love reading.

I read them starting last december, hows that for luck? I only have to wait seven months for adwd.

Joined the forum because of the awesome lit section, but was immidiatly in love Martin. Read them twice now.

Started reading them last October and finished AFfC in February (?). Turned around and started rereading in late March and I'm currently a little more than halfway through ACoK. Definitely will have read each twice (plus scoured the internet like crazy haha) by the time ADwD comes out. I'm a college student, so I really only have time to read for pleasure at night; besides ASoIaF I've also read Adam Smith, Marx, Weber, Durkheim, Levi-Strauss, Sahlins, Foucault, Freud, Charlotte Bronte, Carl Sagan, THE GREAT GATSBY, A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA, and others in the intervening time. All except for Sagan, Fitzgerald, and Le Guin were for classes.

I'll probably be working on July 12th. I preordered ADwD off of Amazon, so hopefully it will have arrived at my house by the time I get back from work. I'll probably read it constantly when I'm not working or too exhausted to read, and it will probably take me a few days. I'll cruise Westeros and other sites afterwards and hopefullly have done a re-read, with a more critical eye, by the time I go back to classes in September.

I received A Game of Thrones as a Christmas present from my mother in 2007. I was never an avid reader before that (I'd read maybe 5-6 books outside of school in my teens) and I wanted to get into reading.

So I just went online and searched for some good fantasy (since I've always loved that kind of stuff). ASOIAF was far from obscure, so I just thought I'd put it on my Christmas list. So there I was, at age 21, just getting into reading and starting off with this huge epic fantasy series. Now, it took me a few months after I got it to actually get started (March 2008 I think), but once I did I was hooked. I had the foresight to order the other three books while I was about halfway through AGOT. I think I finished them all sometime in May 2008.

On July 12th... Well, first I'll have to see if I can actually GET the book on that day in the Netherlands. But on the day I get it, it'll be the early-middle of summer vacation. There's really not a whole lot of other stuff that I'm planning that particular day.

I'm somewhat of a slow reader, so I'll likely take about a week to finish it. In any case, this is the first time in my life that I'm more excited about an upcoming book than a high-profile video game or something similar. Hopefully it won't be the last.

Since Jan 2007 according to my amazon accountlol, thats when I purchased GoT, Ive spread the books over the last 4 years so that I would have freshly read FFC by the time ADWD came out. I'm currently reading FFC, and i'm powering through not sure why its got the neg reviews so far I'm as gripped as I ever was, though I am missing Jon and Tyrion.

Would have finished Uni for the year by July so will just have the full time job getting in the way on 12th July. Got a week off at the end of July though so plan to do a lot of my reading then.

Archived