Which Pov will we get with the paperback ADWD?

Candor

My preference would be an Arya chapter.As a fellow poster said her plot line needs to move on,and soon.Though a Damphair pov might be needed too.There are too many Greyjoy pov's knocking about-Theon,Asha,Damphair,Victarion and maybe Euron too.

Time for a cull?

Since Theon was the christmas gift, I personally would love a Bran chapter. His POV was second n quality only to Theon's in ADWD, IMO.

But I really think that a Sansa chapter is the most likely. It's been a long time since we've seen her - or had any info about what's going on in the Vale. I would be pretty pleased if it is (and I'm sure many readers would be), as I think her role in the wider story is just getting interesting.

(Also, I'm sure GRRM has previously mentioned that he's already completed a couple of Sansa chapters so it kinda makes sense.)

Am I the only one liking the Damphair? LOL

Haha. I know what you mean. I quite like the Damphair - I mean he's an unhinged, hobo-living, viking-looking prophet type. Who thinks downing people is good for them. That's cool right?

But he doesn't really do much, has few interactions with other main characters and he is too preachy. So I can understand why people don't want him for the bonus POV.

He seems to have way more than 4 chapters ready. We already knew he had at least one Arya and one Sansa chapter written, and parts of the resolution of ADWD were moved to TWOW by the editor (but presumably exist at least in draft form). Theon's chapter released now is part of the "battle of ice" resolution.

Furthermore, we know there is at least one Damphair chapter and 2 Arianne chapters (the second of which was read at a con). I would estimate Martin has 8-10 chapters completed or mostly completed of TWOW, maybe even a few more.

We know that Martin had at least 5 chapters prepared for ADWD that were removed before publication:

* Sansa I

* Arya I

* Damphair I

* Arianne I and Arianne II

Note also that the reasons that the Arianne chapters were removed was because they meant that 2 more chapters needed to be written in full - Arianne III and a PoV from a complimentary viewpoint, so either Areo or Connington.

We also know that he has removed a 'Battle of Ice' and a 'Battle of Fire' from 'A Dance With Dragons'. So he has completed at least 6 chapters:

* Theon I

Was released as a Christmas gift (thanks GRRM), and as the Battle of Ice did not occur in this chapter, I would speculate that there are more Theon and Asha chapters that have been written that cover the events of the battle.

As for the battle of Fire, that is anyone's guess.

I am sure that GRRM mentioned that nearly 200 hundred manuscript pages were cut from Dance. I would not be surprised if he had 10+ chapters already written for the next book!

Well, we did have Theon, Sansa, Cersei, Daenerys. So a male one?

The most likely looks like Damphair. Maybe he's conjuring a sea dragon? Also, it's already written and he wanted to read it already ;-) The Theon Chapter read a lot like it would be a good preview chapter...

What have the above mentioned chapters in common? They all introduce a new concept: The Ironborn,

I'd love a Sansa chapter, she's not my favourite character but I really want to know how LF's little plan is going!

I'm basically happy for any POV that isn't Damphair.

And if GRRM wants to include any POV from the wall after Jon's last chapter, that would be nice. Preferably the next Jon chapter.

I wouldn't be very surprised if we got 'Danaerys I' as the preview chapter. If we see Daenerys rally the Dothraki, that would be a ray of hope for the beleaguered fighters in Meereen. It would also set up the 'Battle for Fire' and is probably already written.

I really want to read the 'Sam I' chapter, because I am convinced that it will include Hightower declaring for Aegon. Though Martin has made no mention of writing any chapters for Sam over the last 5 years, so he was probably never intended to feature in 'Dance' - thus it is unlikely that this chapter is written.

I also think that 'Arianne I' is likely - why would Martin not read Arianne I at a Con and rather choose Arianne II? Maybe because her first chapter is the preview chapter?

I wouldn't be very surprised if we got 'Danaerys I' as the preview chapter. If we see Daenerys rally the Dothraki,

I also think that 'Arianne I' is likely - why would Martin not read Arianne I at a Con and rather choose Arianne II? Maybe because her first chapter is the preview chapter?

Perhaps because it’s boring?

I'd love a Sansa chapter, she's not my favourite character but I really want to know how LF's little plan is going!

I'm basically happy for any POV that isn't Damphair.

And if GRRM wants to include any POV from the wall after Jon's last chapter, that would be nice. Preferably the next Jon chapter.

My guess would be that the POV at Wall will be Melisandre. She's calm and "neutral". She might be the best POV to give us a proper look at all the factions and tensions that will build in the aftermath of Jon's assassination. And I guess she might also resurrect Jon in her POV. We could see first hand how draining and whatever else a resurrection is.

Anyhow, for the preview chapter, I'm guessing for Damphair. Not too excited about that, but anything is better than nothing. :D

My guess would be that the POV at Wall will be Melisandre.

Why not Bran, seeing things through Lord Mormont’s raven? Or Jon’s ghost seeing things through, um, Jon’s Ghost? Ok, not the direwolf. It wouldn’t be privy to things the way the birds are.

I still want to see a scene with a large unkindness of ravens (that’s the collective) or murder of crows in which each bird says just a single word, or maybe two, and yet they get strung together in sequence to form perfect sentences. It would clearly show that there is one guiding intelligence behind them.

Think of it like a handbell choir, in which each member has just one or two notes, but assembled together can create a whole song of many notes.

Surely Bloodraven could do such a thing if he wanted to. Wouldn’t that be the most excellent corvid colloquy imaginable? It would just blow everyone away.

Yes, it lets the cat of the bag— or rather, the greenseer out of the tree — but it needn’t be done so the whole world could witness it. It could be used just one one or two people. It would be an übercool way for Bran to talk to Jon, although perhaps they could just rendezvous in Ghost for that, as I believe they have done before. Plus Bran won’t have that kind of control over a flock yet, but Lord Brynden might well have such, since he already used the coördinated flock trick to save Samwiseˆʜˆʜˆʜell from Small Paul’s wightish revenant.

Why not Bran, seeing things through Lord Mormont’s raven? Or Jon’s ghost seeing things through, um, Jon’s Ghost? Ok, not the direwolf. It wouldn’t be privy to things the way the birds are.

I think Bran won't be the preview POV, because he knows too much. It wouldn't be believable for Bran to just think about the stuff going on at Wall, without giving away too much information about other things (for a preview chapter. I have no problem with Bran giving out details about other stuff in his own chapters, in the actual book.)

Jon preview POV in the end of aDwD would ruin the impact of Jon's presumed death, if it was said right away that "jokes on you, reader, he's warm and cozy inside Ghost."

I think Bran won't be the preview POV, because he knows too much.

Jon preview POV in the end of aDwD would ruin the impact of Jon's presumed death, if it was said right away that "jokes on you, reader, he's warm and cozy inside Ghost."

Yes, certainly. I agree with all that. I was just mentioning other possibilities for points of view that put the reader at the Wall, not things specifically for the preview chapter. Sorry that wasn’t clear.

I tend to think a Dany preview makes a bit of sense. We know she isn’t dead, so it wouldn’t be giving away a cliffhanger. Alas, I fear we’re doomed to Urine Greyjoy.

That's what I said too but apparently people can't get it through their heads that there is zero chances that he would put a preview for Jon .

Yes, certainly. I agree with all that. I was just mentioning other possibilities for points of view that put the reader at the Wall, not things specifically for the preview chapter. Sorry that wasn’t clear.

I tend to think a Dany preview makes a bit of sense. We know she isn’t dead, so it wouldn’t be giving away a cliffhanger. Alas, I fear we’re doomed to Urine Greyjoy.

Aye, I should have realized what you meant, too.

And yes, I suppose Bran would work as the POV at Wall. Though, I wonder about the limitations of his skill as Greenseer. If he's stuck only seeing things through weirwoods and animals, then he's POV might be a bit of a mess and he might only see bits and pieces when people pass by a certain animal or tree. Don't know, will have to wait and see how GRRM writes it.

Archived