Ned is gay.

Sarnius

I don't like how people tend to turn strong friendships or almost brother like relationship into something with gay feelings. I was like WTF when I read about Stannis and Davos here on this forum. :leaving:

:agree:

Ned had eyes for a young maiden at the Harrenhal tourney, marries Cat, fathers 5 kids (maybe 6), and keeps his wedding vows. Yep he must be gay, :bs:

Well why is it a big deal? Is being gay such a unusual thing that people can't accept it? She said it because that's how she wanted it, nothing else. There is nothing different about Ned if he's gay/bisexual except that he's gay. It really shouldn't be such a harm because it changes nothing, I really don't get this kind of outcry.

It would be normal if there were indications in the text that he wasn't completely straight. However, everything in the text says he was completely straight.

There would be nothing wrong if Ned was gay, but he isn't, so there's no point in trying to make him so.

To answer the guy that posted something substantive. If Dumbledore was so gay then why did Rowling never feel the need to mention (in or out of book) this fact until after the whole series as over? Maybe it's just badly written, if so thats all I'm griping about. It seems more like a political maneuver to me than anything else.

It's never mentioned in the books because they're told from Harry's perspective. The only scenes where Dumbledore is characterized a little are the scenes where he speaks with Harry and they only speak of Harry and Voldemort. Why would Dumbledore discuss his sexual orientation with a student ?

She never mentioned it outside the books simply because maybe no one asked. When someone did ask, though, she answered. Why is that so scandalous for some people ?

Why would it be "political maneuvering" ? To what ends ? Piss off bigots ? Apparently it worked though.

Nobody would've been shocked if she had said "No he was straight but never loved anyone". People were just pissed off she made a character gay.

And by the way I'm a huge supporter of LGBT issues and a activist, maybe I'm even LGBT myself? You wouldn't know would you, since you know nothing about me at all. So why dont you refrain from making gross, off the cuff, generalizations about me - thanks.

Your post made you come across as homophobic. If you don't want people to assume you're a bigot, don't say things that make you look like one.

Well that's for crackpot and a strong contender for an unpopular opinion.

ADWD

As for Connington/Rhaegar, I think that one was also a bit stretched out... but I think Martin confirmed, right?

Loras and Renly are a whole different matter. That sappy sun setting comment was pretty much the giveaway.

Well why is it a big deal? Is being gay such a unusual thing that people can't accept it? She said it because that's how she wanted it, nothing else. There is nothing different about Ned if he's gay/bisexual except that he's gay. It really shouldn't be such a harm because it changes nothing, I really don't get this kind of outcry.

If Rowling has said Dumbledore was gay during the beginning I would have stood up and applauded her for taking a stand, raising awareness of LGBT issues and mainstreaming the concept with her readers.

Instead she waited until the entire series was safely over, after she was already a millionaire, when there was no possiblity of political, commercial, or critical backlash to drop her dud of a bombshell that Dumbledore was gay. That's cool, it's her story whatever. But don't expect me to act like she's some triumpher of LGBT rights. If she wanted to make a difference she could have brought it up when people still cared. Since she didn't I would say why bother mentioning it after the fact? Personally it seems tacky to me, and that's my own personal opinion. I hope that clears up my feeling on why I'm not a fan of gay Dumbledore.

Wait. Connington fancied Rhaegar? Well, well, well.

"King Aerys had named [Jon Connington] Hand and given him an army, and he meant to prove himself worthy of that trust, of Rhaegar’s love."

"Jon Connington remembered Prince Rhaegar’s wedding all too well. Elia was never worthy of him."

"Your father’s lands are beautiful,” [Rhaegar] said. His silvery hair was blowing in the wind, and his eyes

were a deep purple - -"

etc etc

And on topic, no, I don't believe Ned is gay. We'd have hints about it in his PoV. Thoughts regarding Robert, at least.

It would be normal if there were indications in the text that he wasn't completely straight. However, everything in the text says he was completely straight.

There would be nothing wrong if Ned was gay, but he isn't, so there's no point in trying to make him so.

Well yeah, more likely he was bi than gay.

It's never mentioned in the books because they're told from Harry's perspective. The only scenes where Dumbledore is characterized a little are the scenes where he speaks with Harry and they only speak of Harry and Voldemort. Why would Dumbledore discuss his sexual orientation with a student ?

She never mentioned it outside the books simply because maybe no one asked. When someone did ask, though, she answered. Why is that so scandalous for some people ?

Why would it be "political maneuvering" ? To what ends ? Piss off bigots ? Apparently it worked though.

Nobody would've been shocked if she had said "No he was straight but never loved anyone". People were just pissed off she made a character gay.

Your post made you come across as homophobic. If you don't want people to assume you're a bigot, don't say things that make you look like one.

I can see you are clearly in love with gay Dumbledore and I should have never breathed an unkind word, for I have wounded you deeply.

That's cool, I think your posts made you come across as a pretentious, know-it-all twat who intentionally misconstrues posts so he can grandstand and repeatedly call others "bigots." it's whatever, have a nice day :)

I can see you are clearly in love with gay Dumbledore and I should have never breathed an unkind word, for I have wounded you deeply.

That's cool, I think your posts made you come across as a pretentious, know-it-all twat who intentionally misconstrues posts so he can grandstand and repeatedly call others "bigots." it's whatever, have a nice day :)

Dude you seem like the Allister Thorne of this forum you know that?

At the time Ned thinks Robert WAS "muscled as a maiden's fancy", he is reflecting on how fat and gone to seed Robert appeared after nine years. Thus, I don't think that thought gives much credence to this theory.

It's very crackpot, but hey, whatever floats your boat. :dunno:

Dude you seem like the Allister Thorne of this forum you know that?

No I don't really see the comparison at all. You're the guy who called me a bigot and homophobic right? For no reason? Oh wait... it's because I thought it was tacky of JK Rowling to declare Dumbledore "gay" after the fact - which basically makes me Hitler I guess? Seriously, I was expressing an opinion on a literary techqniue, not raving about anything remotely biggoted. I explained my opinion, in detail, but I doubt you read it.

I never said anything mean or derrogatory to you, or unjustly labelled you with offensive terms did I? If I did I'm geniuenly sorry, welcome to the boards.

No I don't really see the comparison at all. You're the guy who called me a bigot and homophobic right? For no reason? Oh wait... it's because I thought it was tacky of JK Rowling to declare Dumbledore "gay" after the fact - which basically makes me Hitler I guess? Seriously, I was expressing an opinion on a literary techqniue, not raving about anything remotely biggoted. I explained my opinion, in detail, but I doubt you read it.

I never said anything mean or derrogatory to you, or unjustly labelled you with offensive terms did I? If I did I'm geniuenly sorry, welcome to the boards.

I didn't call you any of those. TheLostDireworld provided excellent answers and responses to you and I completely agree with what he said.

Would it be tacky for her to declare him straight after the fact ?

Yes.

I didn't call you any of those. TheLostDireworld provided excellent answers and responses to you and I completely agree with what he said.

If you completely agree with everything he said, and he's the one who called me a bigot and homophobe, isn't that the same as you saying it as well?

Anyways this has gone beyond retarded. Let me make this 100% crystal clear. I am LGBT myself. I am not a bigot, nor do I hate/fear homosexuals. I cannot fathom why you would continue to say I am except for trolling purposes. Dumbledore being gay was stupid. Now continue on with your excellent "Ned is gay" theory and leave me alone because I'm going to start being geniunely offended if you imply I am biggotted and hateful one more time.

Archived