When did Stannis Baratheon become your favourite character?

TheFlayedMan

Always been a huge fan of Stannis. I think he became my favorite character after he took over Renly's army. He just got better after that. And later it the books no matter what was thrown at him he kept going. As well as being a badass warrior and commader he is the only character who would make a good king. So Stannis Baratheon became my favorite character within two chapters of meeting him, and will remain as my favorite character unless he drastically changes; which seems unlikely: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKIfuzJCQAEovLu.jpg

Stannis is my favorite character in the story...absolutely hands down, no question. But I think many on the forums like him for reasons/characteristics that don't necessarily apply to him. And many (based on this thread) seem to love him more for the qualities that he recognizes in other fan favorites like the Starks (Jon, Robb, and Ned) rather than for his actual accomplishments.

He's routinely refered to as "Iron", "Unforgiving", "Merciless", and "Uncompromising" and he's routinely lauded as one of the best military leaders in Westeros.

As it happens he's actually quite willing to listen to advice, he takes in traitors, and he is more than willing to adapt his strategy to his circumstances and defer his tactics to those he views to have valuable insight. He's easily the most flexible and machiavellian character in the story (with the possible exception of Jon Snow....only after aDwD though.).

And his miltary leadership is, honestly, really not that great at the beginning of the novels and only evolves later through plot armor and advisors. His fight against Renly can only be described as desperate and absurd....and had to be bailed out by magic. He spectacularly fails at the Blackwater through what can only be described as military stupidity (no awareness to his surroundings, pigeon-holing his fleet, trying to rush into an amphibious assault, splitting his forces, having no apparent regard for the post-battle strategy, etc, etc, etc.). His choice to save the wall even is not really that well thought out and only makes sense to someone with total plot knowledge (not someone in his predictament on DS). His decisions in the North, after that victory are poorly conceived and only kept from fruitition due to the insight of a 16-year old (plot armor ftw).

That all being said, what makes him likeable, to me, is that he faces all of this and still persists. He's faced more hardship than many in KL could ever dream and keeps on powering through it.

AGOT impression: Hmmm so everybody talks about him as if he's really hard and tough. Cool guy, would make an awesome rival for Robb.

ACOK: Badass warlord, but is he a good guy? I don't know, but I like him. I hope Robb doesn't have to kill him.

ASOS: He is so fucking amazing. Best King in Westeros.

AFFC: Same as above.

ADWD: ALL HAIL STANNIS! :bowdown:

He is not my favourite character, but without Stannis there is no Davos.

I really like this moment between the two of them

"You have given me an honored place at your table. And in return I give you truth. Your people will not love you if you take from them the gods they have always worshiped, and give them one whose very name sounds queer on their tongues."

Stannis stood abruptly. "R'hllor. Why is that so hard? They will not love me, you say? When have they ever loved me? How can I lose something I have never owned?" He moved to the south window to gaze out at the moonlit sea. "I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King's Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men."

He's a means to an end for me. Once he seizes the Iron Throne, Shireen can rightly take her place as Crown Princess. After that point, the sooner Stannis dies the better. All hail Queen Shireen!

Yes because screw the guy who gave a shit about a realm that never gave him anything. :P

AGOT impression: Hmmm so everybody talks about him as if he's really hard and tough. Cool guy, would make an awesome rival for Robb.

ACOK: Badass warlord, but is he a good guy? I don't know, but I like him. I hope Robb doesn't have to kill him.

ASOS: He is so fucking amazing. Best King in Westeros.

AFFC: Same as above.

ADWD: ALL HAIL STANNIS! :bowdown:

this. (except the Robb parts)

Archived