Your biggest pet peeve in the series?

AngrySoviet

• Melisandre (shadow babies, glamouring = plot contrivances). I hear people say "Jon Snow doesn't belong in ASOIAF" but I think Mel is more of an anomaly than Jon is. Typical fantasy succubus.
  • I agree that the sex scenes suck. I've read better in fanfic.
  • Story reads somewhat Youth Adult at times (Arya especially)
  • The fans who think of ASOIAF as a work of classic literature tantamount to Shakespeare, Chaucer, the Illiad, ect
  • All of the Ironborn (4 POVS, REALLY?!)
  • An obsession with lactation and nipples (nipples even mentioned on page 1 of the prologue!!)
  • Maggy the Frog (what the fuck is this?)
  • Biggest annoyance (moreso as the series went on): story sprawl

-A lot of the sayings; "You know nothing, Jon Snow", "I'm just a little girl but..."

-Speaking of that second statement, everything Daenerys annoys me. I hate the Slaver Cities and I hate her storyline (if it wasn't for Barristan idk what I'd do)

-Cersei's transformation from a cunning woman trying to manipulate people to an absolutely irrational, naive and impulsive character.

-Too much Martell, not enough from them.

-Oh lord the Greyjoys... I loved Theon's POV in DwD, but Victarion and Aeron make me want to bash my head against a wall.

-Not enough Davos

He does describe clothing, but not to the extent that he does Dany IMO. You are entitled to your opinion as well, but he goes into great detail with her and she does more changing of clothing, and changes into very different clothing than anyone else IMO. That is MY biggest pet peeve (title of this thread).

I'm fascinated by her clothing.The Qartheen wardrobe was my personal favorite.

Personally, I think it can't get any worse than Asha saying "Nuncle" all the time in book four. Every time I heard nuncle, a little piece of my soul got sucked. It just made her sound like a buck-toothed four year old with one of those propellor beanies, with a huge swirly lollipop in one hand.

Also I hated it every time Daenerys "nibbles" on something. Just eat the damned thing.

LOL. This honestly made me laugh a lot. The mental image of Asha holding a lollipop in her hand is so funny. xD

Well, I have my pet peeves too. Firstly, I absolutely hate Meereen, Astapor and anything that has to do with them or Yunkai. Please Dany, just go back to freaking Westeros already.

I absolutely hate Arya's chapters as some "nobody" in a weirdo temple looking for an "identity". Seriously, her unreasonable refusal to mention her own real name was annoying to the extreme. The kindly old man and the waif (am I the only one who pictures a kid with extremely huge, black eyes and a milk stained mouth?).

"Who are you?"

"No one."

"You lie. Who are you?"

"No one."

"What did you learn today"

"I learned that the sun is yellow and that the sea is blue."

"GOOD, NOW WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!" =P Read this convo and you surely must be thinking,. "Eh, what was that exactly for?". Arya chapters used to be thrilling, now they're like Dany chapters.

Okay, what else annoys me...The court members at Meereen and Dany's Boring Brigade. I don't give a damn about Hizdar zo Hizdahr and Kraznys Mo Cringe. Seriously, how boring could characters get?

And Daario Naharis needs a blade in his ass. Really, his name makes him sound like one of those annoying, feminine puuffy haired boys that some silly young girls at school are in love with. >__<

- Dany &amp; Essos bug the hell out of me.

- Arya in the house of the many faced god. I feel her arc stretches credulity to breaking point, but that's probably because I'm not usually a fantasy reader.

- Resurrections, be it Uncat, Unberric or wights. I just can'y take them seriously, which sort of ruins the story for me.

- Hidden identities (Targs), and switched at birth babies. Too soapy.

- Endless breakfast, lunch, &amp; dinner menus.

LOL. This honestly made me laugh a lot. The mental image of Asha holding a lollipop in her hand is so funny. xD

Well, I have my pet peeves too. Firstly, I absolutely hate Meereen, Astapor and anything that has to do with them or Yunkai. Please Dany, just go back to freaking Westeros already.

I absolutely hate Arya's chapters as some "nobody" in a weirdo temple looking for an "identity". Seriously, her unreasonable refusal to mention her own real name was annoying to the extreme. The kindly old man and the waif (am I the only one who pictures a kid with extremely huge, black eyes and a milk stained mouth?).

"Who are you?"

"No one."

"You lie. Who are you?"

"No one."

"What did you learn today"

"I learned that the sun is yellow and that the sea is blue."

"GOOD, NOW WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!" =P Read this convo and you surely must be thinking,. "Eh, what was that exactly for?". Arya chapters used to be thrilling, now they're like Dany chapters.

Okay, what else annoys me...The court members at Meereen and Dany's Boring Brigade. I don't give a damn about Hizdar zo Hizdahr and Kraznys Mo Cringe. Seriously, how boring could characters get?

And Daario Naharis needs a blade in his ass. Really, his name makes him sound like one of those annoying, feminine puuffy haired boys that some silly young girls at school are in love with. >__<

I kind of agree with the Mereen situation and I think we will all be relieved when it gets resolved.

Can't agree with the Arya opinion.She is fundamentally under the control of a cult and being trained to be an uber assassin.I enjoy her chapters.

And the question is will she find her own identity again?

My pet hates:

1. Where do whores go? Now, Tyrion is a smart cookie; so why was he genuinely and actively asking that question as if someone was actually going to respond with Tysha's location? That was the start of Tyrion's decline in my esteem - he's smarter than that.

2. When the hell is Arya going to work out that it's Nymeria in her wolf dreams? Is it that hard?

3. Don't get me started on Patchface.

I don't mind the fake-out deaths of the Davos or Stannis fake kind- I like the hearsay aspect of information that GRRM plays with in the novels. What I do find slightly annoying is the fake-out of Arya getting hit in the back of the head with an axe by Sandor, Asha getting hit in the head by an axe in the battle after Deepwood Motte, or Tyrion falling into the river and fading to black. I figured out not to believe it when GRRM ended a chapter like that, but they sort of feel like cheap attempts at cliffhangers.

These weren't fake-out deaths, though, or cliffhangers. Just unconsciousness as a natural conclusion to a POV chapter. I never took them as anything else.

And what in the seven hells is a 'nuncle' anyway?

An old way of saying "mine uncle" or "my uncle". One can argue that it sounds cuter, or just annoying when said by anyone older then 10.

Also, what's with all the onions? Onion stew, onion soup, grilled onion, deep fried onion, McOnion...

I put loads of onions in everything and even I think they put too much. And I wouldn't go as far as eating one raw like an apple like one character does at one point. I think they put it in everything because:

- it's really easy to grow so they have a lot of them

- since they have a lot, it's cheap.

- it can be stored for a long time.

- it has a strong flavor

- it can compensate for a lack of spices

Now I'm craving onions fried in bacon grease, with said bacon and a big chunk of bread.

No turnips.

It doesn't really bother me but complaining is fun! ;)

We have such awesome sigils like the Starks (a direwolf racing across a field of white), The Lannisters (a golden lion on a field of crimson) and the Targaryens (a three-headed dragon breathing flames, red on black)...

But there are a few crappy ones. I feel sorry for House Brax. A purple unicon on silver? House Trant is a man hanging from a tree. Really? And I know there is this whole culture backing this up but House Tyrell is a freaking rose.

just saying...

We have such awesome sigils like the Starks (a direwolf racing across a field of white), The Lannisters (a golden lion on a field of crimson) and the Targaryens (a three-headed dragon breathing flames, red on black)...

But there are a few crappy ones. I feel sorry for House Brax. A purple unicon on silver? House Trant is a man hanging from a tree. Really? And I know there is this whole culture backing this up but House Tyrell is a freaking rose.

There are lots of noble families in real life who use the rose as their sigil. GRRM has said numerous times that a big inspiration of his is the War of the Roses, which was named because it opposed House Lancaster (Lannaster.. Lancister... Lannister?) and House York (Yark.. Stork.. Stark?), both of whom have roses as their sigil. The War of the roses lead to the rise of the Tudors in power (Tydors... Tyrell?)

But I agree, the purple unicorn is...errr... it's a damn unicorn, for god's sake!

There are lots of noble families in real life who use the rose as their sigil. GRRM has said numerous times that a big inspiration of his is the War of the Roses, which was named because it opposed House Lancaster (Lannaster.. Lancister... Lannister?) and House York (Yark.. Stork.. Stark?), both of whom have roses as their sigil. The War of the roses lead to the rise of the Tudors in power (Tydors... Tyrell?)

But I agree, the purple unicorn is...errr... it's a damn unicorn, for god's sake!

Unicorns are only found on Skagos. If it can exist on Skagos, it's badass. :P

The nibbeling on olives makes me smile everytime I read it. I even tried it myself once out of scientific interest and completly failed to nibble more than twice on the damn thing before it was eaten.

If the price Dany has to pay for her flowers in the attic, Aryan, most beautiful woman of the world look consists of not even beeing allowed to eat a whole olive then it really is not worth it :-)

I have no problem with 'where do whores go?', PROVIDED somewhere off screen Tyrion actually checked HER HOUSE. You know, where she lived. With probably a number of family members knowledgable of her whereabouts. I know it's not easy when he's a wanted man, but why even bother wondering if you haven't eliminated the obvious?

'You know nothing Jon Snow' got a bit annoying an all.

The nibbeling on olives makes me smile everytime I read it. I even tried it myself once out of scientific interest and completly failed to nibble more than twice on the damn thing before it was eaten.

Depends whether they're pitted or not - with the stones in, it's pretty difficult to finish off an olive even in two bites...

The use of "ser"....just use the real word of sir! Kind of a cheap way to make the setting more fantasy like.

And the sex scenes gross me out, too...too graphic, I picture some old man writing it and getting lathered up...I understand it goes along with the elaborate menu lists and the graphic depictions of battle to make you feel the story...but, eww.

And , count me in the minority, I guess, but I find Patchface amusing, oh oh, I know, I know.

Daenerys rotting in Meereen is bad, especially since it is a completely separate story then what is going on in Westeros with no apparent connection, yet.

I have no problem with 'where do whores go?', PROVIDED somewhere off screen Tyrion actually checked HER HOUSE. You know, where she lived. With probably a number of family members knowledgable of her whereabouts. I know it's not easy when he's a wanted man, but why even bother wondering if you haven't eliminated the obvious?

'You know nothing Jon Snow' got a bit annoying an all.

Do you really think that somewhere in Westeros there's a big retirement home for all the retired prostitutes?

Not that she was actually a prostitute.

Archived