Travel to London meet up

Vestrit

Guys: I'm told we can save some money with a block booking, plus we'll be able to book seats next to each other. I can arrange it through our Travel Service with a phone call, if people have not yet booked... just email me and I'll sort it out. (I'm assuming we're all travelling from Edinburgh?)

If you tell me what train you're on I might be able to join you at Newcastle.

Sophie

• 2 weeks later...

Folks:

Did we ever decide what train we would be getting? I'm looking at the direct train from Leuchars... gets into King's Cross at 14:55 on the Thursday. That one leaves Waverley at 10:30, Zak. :)

Balls. So you mean £100 in total?

We'll book up today. Although if the prices have gone up at all we might have to look at cheaper options.

fly

honestly, it's way cheaper than the train

Zak: it was £100 for a return from St Andrews, yeah. But two one-way tickets was £60. Go figure.

Should be cheaper from Edinburgh though.

Vestrit: I considered flying, but wasn't sure it'd save that much once taxes, travel to Edinburgh Airport, and travelling in from Stansted or wherever was factored in. Plus I'm a lazy bugger and this is easier. :P

Fair enough Mormont.

My return flights were £60-odd. I think possibly a little bit more expensive than normal because I booked late and also because I'm flying down on a Friday. Travel to Edinburgh Airport's obviously pretty cheap for me, and I'm going to Gatwick, so pretty cheap and quick to London Bridge. But I can see how adding in travel from St Andrew's makes all the difference

Vestrit: I considered flying, but wasn't sure it'd save that much once taxes, travel to Edinburgh Airport, and travelling in from Stansted or wherever was factored in. Plus I'm a lazy bugger and this is easier. :P

I dont know if this is an option, Mormont, but flying to Heathrow would help with the cost of getting into London, seeing as it's on the tube.

Ryanair usually has cheaper tickets to London, but recently I've always used Aer Lingus, because they fly to Heathrow and the tube only costs like £3-4, whereas the train from stanstead is about £25.

Hope this helps.

Paddy: thanks, but the train tickets are already booked.

Plus, however cheap the airfare you have to add £15-£20 return to get me to the nearest airport... tends to eliminate the saving.

argh i loathe and hate the national rail enquiries website!!!

:tantrum:

as far as i can see for that 10.30 waverley one it is £56 single each or £190 for 2 returns

on the other hand we can do £105 for flying to luton or £145 to Stansted for the two of us with all taxes and shit included.

right well fuck it. i'm just going to book the luton flight. it's cheaper, it's quicker and i love flying. i hate all this booking shit! you can see why i haven't got around to getting LA booked yet. :rolleyes:

Zak, I think the cheaper tickets are only available through the GNER website. Costs £28 single apiece through that (£20 each for the 11am train, though that requires a change), so what? £112 all told for two of you, there and back?

What can I say - I have a travel service right across the corridor. ;)

Archived