Anyone else hate warging?

johnnysd

All the kids being wargs ties in neatly though with the six direwolf pups being found in a land where direwolves haven't been seen for thousands of years. If it's just Bran then what are the other pups for? It makes it more of a coincidence rather than something meant to happen.

Plus it's not like their the only wargs in the north, we discover there's a culture of them beyond the Wall. I forget the numbers on how many in the population but it means there are others south of the Wall as well, they just either never know what they are or whatever possible scenarios.

Is there any information about the Starks and warging? Perhaps it is something strong in their bloodline and for the most part simply goes unknown until triggered by something like finding six direwolf puppies for the five Starks and one Snow.

I don't exactly love it, but I am glad that it has been a difficult thing for most of the kids to learn how to do. Bran has been the only one who can seem to just do it. Both Jon and Arya are pretty slow on the pick up and don't really understand what they are doing. We don't know how it affected Robb and it looks like Rickon might be pretty good at it, but we don't really know.

If all of the Stark kids suddenly woke up one morning and realised they could warg their wolves and then they all ran through the meadow under a rainbow, they I would have more of a problem with it. But the fact that it is a difficult skill that they have to work at to develop, and the fact that some of them (like Sansa and possibly Robb) might have the skill but are not able to develop it to a useful level, makes it more easy for me to accept.

I love it. I think there's a very specific reason for these six kids to have this shared talent. That's why the rarity of it is such a big deal — the Starks are an anomaly, freaks of nature, and that can really only mean that there's a purpose in it.

... And something has to check the dragons. B)

I like it, still waiting for Sansa to Warg a hunting bird or a great dog ( unless she gets a new Direwolf or she can take over LFand make him her slave), as for Bran,the times he warg Hodor was to save all their skins from death or being found out, if I were with a group of people and one either froze or became hysterical putting all our lives in danger and I could do what Bran could I do it too, we all be safe and I would apologize to that person later.

Warging feels kind of like a promise that the next couple pages will be filled with slightly interesting stuff that doesn't take the story anywhere. Unless Arya does it to progress in her assassin stuff. Then it might sort of move the main plot along at the same time. But mostly it's just a fun way to while away a page or three.

I like reading fantasy but I generally dislike the magical elements of it. But I do like the warging in ASOIAF. It's understated and it builds up gradually instead of it being thrown as a surprise in the readers face. The only time I hate the warging is when there are discussions of a dragon being warged, but that's mostly because I dislike reading about dragons.

Mixed feelings for me I suppose - the concept fine enough, but the problem is I haven't found the later Bran chapters to be all that interesting in itself.

And I really disliked the Varamyr Sixskins chapter :stillsick:

So, unfortuntely, since warging seems to be going hand in hand with those plotlines...it hasn't been catching my eye as much as it probably should be.

Perhaps it is just me, but not really a fan of Bran/Summer killing that family, the one with the men, woman and baby. He just lost his own, so it is kind of a shame that he didn't think of another.

I am slightly more intrigued with Arya's warging journey though, on account that I really want her and Nymeria to reconnect again. And, just have her regain anything Stark related overall, eventually straying away from the FM story.

I love the Warg aspect of aSoIaF, I love all the magic of it, including the Dragons, and the Others. I love that the Starks are all Wargs, because they all have the Blood of the First Men in their veins. The best part though, is the fact that they can't all just snap their fingers to do it. It took a really horrible fall for Bran to be able to get good at his gift, at the cost of his legs. Nobody else really has a good understanding of their ability. I love that the Old gods/Bloodraven gave the Starks their direwolves. I don't understand how anybody could not like this aspect of the story, same goes for all magic, Dragons and prophecy. This is a fantasy series, and I want it to be that way, other wise it would just be a political thriller, set in medieval times. If people don't like this part of the story, then why read a fantasy?

I don't find any of it boring, and I like every page to do with magic. The best part is that GRRM puts his own spin on everything. I would never call anything in these books cliche, especially not the Warging... Or really any other magical aspects of the story.

Mixed feelings for me I suppose - the concept fine enough, but the problem is I haven't found the later Bran chapters to be all that interesting in itself.

And I really disliked the Varamyr Sixskins chapter :stillsick:

So, unfortuntely, since warging seems to be going hand in hand with those plotlines...it hasn't been catching my eye as much as it probably should be.

Perhaps it is just me, but not really a fan of Bran/Summer killing that family, the one with the men, woman and baby. He just lost his own, so it is kind of a shame that he didn't think of another.

I am slightly more intrigued with Arya's warging journey though, on account that I really want her and Nymeria to reconnect again. And, just have her regain anything Stark related overall, eventually straying away from the FM story.

Was it Bran or Varamyr that killed the people, saving the woman and baby for last? I thought that was Varamyr.

Nope. I really like it. And I like what Jem says about the Stark kids all having different abilities and understandings of Warging. That keeps it interesting. Jon, for example, often seems to be fighting his connection to Ghost (even though he may well have to accept it soon.)

I do enjoy the politics and human interaction the most, but I like that magical elements are creeping into the story slowly - and mainly from a readers perspective. Seeing as most characters have no understanding of magic, some have a little understanding of it, and that none of them knows everything that we do, for a reader it's like being in on a secret.

It's not my favorite part of the story, that's for sure, but as long as Bran will be the only Strark to explore this ability to it's full potential I could live with it. Well, mostly if it's just Bran and Summer. If he does something like he did with Hodor, then no, just no.

Controlling animals is a classic type of magical power in fantasy, and Martin's specific take on it as "warging" is somewhat original at least. I always liked the scene when Brand, Rickon, Hodor, and Osha are about to come out of the crypts of Winterfell and Bran opens his 3rd eye briefly to check it out, and comes back quickly.

I wouldn't call it original. Have you read Hobb?

I wouldn't call it original. Have you read Hobb?

In fantasy today, nothing will be completely original, because somebody has done something like it before. So that does not bother me, because GRRM is great at putting his own original spin on things.

Side note.

Why does Bran Warging Hodor bother some people so much? Bran has never even been told not to do it, not even by Bloodraven. Also, most of the time when Bran Wargs Hodor, it is to save everyone's ass, including Hodor.

So what if Bran used Hodor to explore the cave, it's not like it kills Hodor, and thank gods Bran did use Hodor's body to follow Meera and Jojen, because he ended up having to pull Jojen up that cliff, because Jojen was not strong enough to do it himself.

Everyone thinks it is so bad, because Hodor gets all scared when Bran does it.... Well guess what, this is the same guy who flips the hell out over thunder and lightning. The way I see it is, Hodor isn't getting much use out of his body, so Bran might as well, especially because it doesn't harm Hodor, and especially because most of the time Bran ends up saving someone, if not everyone, when he does it.

It's complete synergy.... That's all I am saying.

I think warging is way cool. I would love to warg my cat and see what it is like to jump up to the top of the fridge from floor level.

According to Haggon cats are vain selfish creatures, you don't want to share a skin with them, or you will become the same way.

Edit.

But I would kill to be able to Warg a wolf, even more so a Direwolf. Alas I would settle for my three Boxer dogs.

Archived