[Book/TV Spoilers] The Turncloak...

Alfie Allen's acting has really, in my opinion, transformed Theon Greyjoy's tragedy into a new dimension the book couldn't do. There are many reasons I love all the detail and subtle shifting in the books that can't be translated well onto film, but for some areas, only a really good actor can bring a character to life (as Peter has done with Tyrion) in new ways we can identify with and love the character even more.

For the character of Theon, it seems to me it could have gone very badly if the wrong type of actor had been cast. They hit the nail right on the head with this guy, he's perfect for it and has just blossomed more and more as the season progresses. I honestly truly love Theon in the show far more than I ever did in the books even as much as I know is coming and how much I despised him in the books. It's amazingly good!!

I also feel similarly about the actor playing Joffrey, though he hasn't had as many stunning scenes as Alfie Allen.

:agree: This is exactly my thoughts. I'm so glad they cast Alfie Allen as Theon. I think he has done wonders with the character and his internal conflicts really shine through on his facial expressions and mannerisms. Alfie is killing it and I'm a total fan of him because of GoT.

I think TV Theon is much more successful than the books at showing the character's humanity. In the books he's such a dick that it's harder to feel bad for him. Here, you really see how conflicted and damned he is. He's never going to be happy. I wonder if there's any redemption for him before the series is over.

His scenes were by far the best part of this week's episode, even though the riot scene was great too. I'm one of those who didn't like it in season 1, I thought he didn't look right, didn't match the image in my head, but now I'm a fan. And I've never been able to hate Theon Greyjoy, even at his worst, in the books and now in the TV show. He's such a loser, he can't do the first thing right. :laugh:

I like how he gets this nervous twitch in his right eye when he's really angry or otherwise excited. Makes him look like a total madman. ;)

He's a really good hateable character this season.

This actor and the script + dialogue is amazing for Theon. He has turned TV Theon into a superb A class villian, just like in the books. I love it that he made me hate Theon as much just as I can feel his conflict.

I didn't think much of him in Season 1. I'm really glad he is able to expand his acting chops in Season 2.

Alfie played Theon quite pathetically this episode (this is a good thing). It is obvious to everyone there that he is nothing more than a pretender of a noble princeling. I think knowing his inner turmoils sets him up to be more of a tragic character than in the books for when he becomes Reek, instead of merely a traitorous jerk getting his just desserts.

I liked Theon, even while reading ACoK. He's not a bad guy. Not truly.

It's true what Ser Rodrik said: "Gods help you Theon Greyjoy. Now you are truly lost."

You could see on his face, Theon was in over his head. It didn't go as planned. He regretted all of it. Wished he could rewind a month and be back in Robb's camp. Even while he was hacking off poor Ser Rodrik's head, I felt sorry for him.

The scene was breathtaking, and Alfie played his part amazingly well. He deserves the Emmy nom over Peter.

Oh and, once again, I noticed the music. During that intense scene, I stopped for just a moment and took in the music. Bravo Ramin!

You could see on his face, Theon was in over his head. It didn't go as planned. He regretted all of it. Wished he could rewind a month and be back in Robb's camp. Even while he was hacking off poor Ser Rodrik's head, I felt sorry for him.

I'm not sure he regrets it at this point. In the future, for sure (according to the books at least). But at this point, while I'm sure he didn't want to kill Ser Rodrik, he seemed fine with Osha later, cocky as ever.

Actually that whole scene was amazing. Not just Theon was great but also Roderick and Bran. I think Isaac Hempstead Wright did a really good job at completely freaking out. Sometimes when people go hysterical it can be over the top, but he did it perfectly.

I agree, he Bran was perfect. And Theon having to hack the head off a few times then kick it, that was awful!!!

I'm also in the camp that pities Theon more than hates him. Yes he made some terrible and really stupid choices, but as they've tried to portray him in the show, he's pathetic because he has been torn between two worlds most of his life, never fitting in either place now that he's an adult and forced to choose one (that didn't even want him) over the other that had treated him well but still was never his family.

Honestly Theon's story is more what Jon Snow's story could have been if Ned Stark hadn't been loving and allowed the boy to be treated with the same respect as all the Stark children by everyone else except Catelyn of course.

There is no greater human social torture than being an outcast. Truly, its one of the most defining traits of all creatures who have feelings and need for love. Animals that are driven off from their families or rejected by their social groups usually become psychotic and die or grow violent and unpredictable if they continue to survive. Martin played up this theme well in the book, but only a great actor can bring it to life and really make you feel for the character despite his horrible actions. That's what Alfie is doing with perfection.

I think people hating Theon are misplacing their feelings.

He played part in murdering/raping two parents and flaying theiir little boys. No amount of torture can make up for that.

Yeah, this is the thing that people seem to keep forgetting with regard to Theon. He didn't just capture Winterfell; he also murdered the miller's children so that people "wouldn't laugh at him". Hurray, he didn't actually kill Bran and Rickon; he just slaughtered an entire family instead.

I agree that he's by far the most compelling character in S2, though, and Alfie Allen has been phenomenal.

just rewatched the opening scene again... the best scene in the series in my opinion. admittedly, i'm a big theon fan, but that last shot, after he's cut rodriks head off, and he's out of breathe, blood spatter on his face, looking around for some sort of reassurance... truly tragic.

I think people hating Theon are misplacing their feelings.

totally agree. i think they're being too stark-centric.

Too smallfolk-centric you mean and we like females enough to be irritated by the character's mistreatment of them.

His taking of Winterfell was a huge idiotic blunder on his part. Theon only allowed someone else to destroy Winterfell by being a stupid young person with a hot head. That's really all he is before he becomes Ramsay's Reek.

I for one think he committed horrible crimes, but I still pity him and I don't hate him -- I just don't -- and I love his story arc. I agree that he should have been justly punished for what he did (ie not tortured by a psycho).

Too smallfolk-centric you mean and we like females enough to be irritated by the character's mistreatment of them.

His taking of Winterfell was a huge idiotic blunder on his part. Theon only allowed someone else to destroy Winterfell by being a stupid young person with a hot head. That's really all he is before he becomes Ramsay's Reek.

theon is a boy. a stupid, naive, unloved boy. he's definitely a prick, but i think you go to far to say he mistreats women. he's a prick to everyone, equal opportunity. all he wants is to be appreciated, but he doesn't know how to get that, so he makes a series of terrible decisions, and pays dearly for them.

the one truly horrible thing he does is kill two children. and i'm certainly not condoning that, but even that is done not because he wants to, or gets joy out of it, but because he feels cornered (yes by his own stupid decision).

theon is a knucklehead, not a monster.

One think I really loved about Theon's arc in the show is that they did a good job especially in season one of showing that the Starks weren't all that friendly to Theon, which I don't really recall in the book. Yes Theon was a douche but you could really appreciate some of the reasons he might have to turn on them. Starks aren't the saints some people think.

Archived