Is Dany's no slavery rule really the best for Planetos

Brony Stark

I admit that Dany is trying to do the right thing with ending slavery, but is Planetostm ready for her changing of ways?

In our world slavery was only stamped out after

• (In Britain) it became more seperated from the economy, the Industrial Revolution meant that slaves weren't as in high demand as they were before; machines could do things faster. Parlimentary reforms, slave revolts and religious groups also contributed.
  • Civil War in America abolished slavery there, but it was the industrialized​ North that led the way to end slavery, because unlike the south they could do without slaves.

In both cases the use of machines are what helped make slavery obsolete, but the world of ASoIaF is at most advanced to the level of medieval technology. They wouldn't even know what to make of a machine if one appeared in their world. So is the world really ready for the ending of slavery, which might damage global economy? Unlike here they won't have machines to fulfill the void, and for the first generation they'll have a mass of people that don't know how to do anything aside from what they were taught.

I do apologize for the short post, I wanted to add more but I couldn't explain it clearly enough.

Queen Isabella I of Castile forbade any person born in America to ever be made a slave at the beginning of the XVI century, and we all know how well it worked.

The minute Dany leaves, somebody will start slaving somebody else; maybe the old slavers will re-enslave the old slaves, like in Yunkai, or maybe the old slaves will enslave the old slavers, like in Astapor.

Braavos and Westeros seem to be doing fine. By the way, this lame attempt at justifying slavery in ASOIAF is hilarious, didn't know Daenerys invoked this much butt-hurt in some folks. :rofl:

Yea man! you got jokes buddy!

Anyway, great post brony, and it is an interesting point you make, industialization =slaves become obsolete. You are correct and the second she leaves essos slavery will return, its pretty much guaranteed.

Yea man! you got jokes buddy!

Anyway, great post brony, and it is an interesting point you make, industialization =slaves become obsolete. You are correct and the second she leaves essos slavery will return, its pretty much guaranteed.

I can't believe you passed up such a great opportunity to drop "it is known"

Braavos and Westeros seem to be doing fine. By the way, this lame attempt at justifying slavery in ASOIAF is hilarious, didn't know Daenerys invoked this much butt-hurt in some folks. :rofl:

It's not justifying slavery, it just happens to be tough to change something that is ingrained in a culture. The end of slavery was a massive turning point in humanity's history (RL). I would imagine fundamentally changing the culture of an entire continent (Essos) wouldn't be easy either.

Learn to shut off the automated Dany defense once in a while.

To the OP, well assuming she does abolish it, there would be a long transition period seeing Essos go to the next period, and given the philosophy of Pentos and some of the other Free Cities (money = power), I could see Essos transition into a hybrid medieval-capitalist society. Fortunately, Essos doesn't place much importance on inheritance, which can make any transition easier.

Actually it isn't a joke mr grumpkin, it's a legitimate argument. I'm stating that the culture and economy of Essos is not ready for a world without slaves. If this took place in a Steampunkish world then I wouldn't be making the argument.

I admit that Dany is trying to do the right thing with ending slavery, but is Planetostm ready for her changing of ways?

In our world slavery was only stamped out after

• (In Britain) it became more seperated from the economy, the Industrial Revolution meant that slaves weren't as in high demand as they were before; machines could do things faster. Parlimentary reforms, slave revolts and religious groups also contributed.
  • Civil War in America abolished slavery there, but it was the industrialized​ North that led the way to end slavery, because unlike the south they could do without slaves.

In both cases the use of machines are what helped make slavery obsolete, but the world of ASoIaF is at most advanced to the level of medieval technology. They wouldn't even know what to make of a machine if one appeared in their world. So is the world really ready for the ending of slavery, which might damage global economy? Unlike here they won't have machines to fulfill the void, and for the first generation they'll have a mass of people that don't know how to do anything aside from what they were taught.

I do apologize for the short post, I wanted to add more but I couldn't explain it clearly enough.

Westeros is doing fine without slavery. So was medieval Western Europe during the period the books are mostly based on. So yeah, it's possible.

Westeros is doing fine without slavery. So was medieval Western Europe during the period the books are mostly based on. So yeah, it's possible.

But Essos isn't like Medieval Europe or Westeros.

Yes, but thats not the point westeros has no slaves. But essos does and they are an important part of the soceity. You cant just go in to a place force people to change thousands of years of tradition and then leave and expect things to be fine. It doesnt work that way.

If one were to actually wait until a society were ready to be egalitarian, no marginalised group would see equality. People need to be dragged to it, kicking and screaming.

But dany has no intention of dragging them into it. She wants to leave for westeros, and has already agreed to let slavery continue as well as the fighting pits. If she were ready for a long term commitment I would agree, but she isnt. Her changing things then leaving wont work.

But dany has no intention of dragging them into it. She wants to leave for westeros, and has already agreed to let slavery continue as well as the fighting pits. If she were ready for a long term commitment I would agree, but she isnt. Her changing things then leaving wont work.

And you think the slaves will quietly go back?

Actually it isn't a joke mr grumpkin, it's a legitimate argument. I'm stating that the culture and economy of Essos is not ready for a world without slaves. If this took place in a Steampunkish world then I wouldn't be making the argument.

To be honest, you would make a better case arguing that slavery shouldn't be abolished in Essos because the lions would go hungry.

people don't need to be dragged into a more free society, they need to take it for themselves with....fire and blood I guess. Seriously though, free societies do not come around because pretty rich white girl shows up and makes it so. They become free because they took it for themselves.

This obviously could serve as a valuable lesson for Dany and her impending trip to Westeros. If she goes in and tries to change the Westerosi culture (by virtue of having Ironborn, Dothraki, sellswords and eunuchs on her side), then it is gonna be a bad result. Aegon I basically became a man of Westeros (converted to the seven, etc) when he came. We didn't see him try to impose whatever remnants of Valyrian culture he may have had on the good people of Westeros (aside from the polygamy and incest, but even that was only amongst the Targs). The 300 year reign of his family attests to that.

She can rule it out, yes, and there is a possibility that it will be completely abolished in Slaver's Bay. If they get paid for the work they do, it's technically not slavery anymore. If somehow everyone is content with that, it is likely slavery will disappear completely.

Is Westeros fine though? Was Medieval Western Europe? Certainly not. The distinction between smallfolk in Westeros and slaves in Essos is pretty small.

Archived