Would you name your children with an asoiaf name ?

Golden Lady

My wife is 9 weeks pregnant, and we've discussed it a little... Over the last year she's read ASOS, AFFC, and ADWD, and will be looping around to read the first 2 (as season 3 of GOT was on this year) and she's a big fan now. Nevertheless I doubt it, though we've discussed Lyanna a little. The only problem is that we don't know the circumstances surrounding the pregnancy and TOJ (sorry to all the R+L=J doubters) and if Lyanna turns out to be at fault for a lot of what went down... We say the dog is a Targaryen because she's obnoxious and a purebred.

No. Not even the normal English-sounding names, as I'm not a native English speaker. Names are not meant to sound cool/badass or make people think "Oh, that's clever". There should be room to grow your own identity into your name, not have a name that's singularly associated with a fictional character's identity. IMO.

I would...if I ever had children which I won't have if I have any saying in it.

But I plan to name all my future pets after characters I love. Not only from ASOIAF though.

There was already my, recently passed, first cat. Her name was Esmeralda because back then I was totally digging The Hunshback of Notre Dame and that name just fitted her to a tee.

Next to me and looking in the most arrogant cat way sits Draco. My white angora tom cat with beautiful grey eyes. He really got an attitude. So obviously I'm looking for an Arya to integrate next in my household :) Some fierce, fuzzy and tiny creature.

No. Not even the normal English-sounding names, as I'm not a native English speaker. Names are not meant to sound cool/badass or make people think "Oh, that's clever". There should be room to grow your own identity into your name, not have a name that's singularly associated with a fictional character's identity. IMO.

There's literally zero difference in being able to "grow your own identity" being named after a character or, for instance, your grandfather, your father, or no one of any importance but rather just a random name you decided you liked.

There's literally zero difference in being able to "grow your own identity" being named after a character or, for instance, your grandfather, your father, or no one of any importance but rather just a random name you decided you liked.

We're not talking about the names of grandfathers or fathers, but names of fictional characters whose association is only to that particular piece of fiction. Calling your child Rhaegar might sound "cool" and current, but Rhaegar is a name that only exists in a piece of fantasy fiction popularized in the 00's and 10's. Can that name over time, a couple of generations from now, become as normal as whatever the popular names of your culture might be? Can they be associated with something other than the asoif books down the line? Sure, eventually. But not at present. People who will see the name will ask about it, and get the reply it comes from a fantasy book, and those who know the name will only associate that name with that series of books. That's what I meant when I said one should be have room to grow one's own identity into one's name.

My fish is named Tully.

I asked my BF for a puppy fir Christmas, and if I get it it'll be Sandor if a boy or Nymeria if a girl :)

I'd use one of the less out there names for my future kids, I like the female names more than the male though.

Sansa

Elia

Ellaria

Lyanna

Arya

Ashara

Asha

Archived