Would you name your children with an asoiaf name ?

Golden Lady

Not sure if I've answered this before... so I'll try to be as honest as possible

Probably not. I like the series very much but there are books that were more important in my life. Also I live in Brazil and few names would be suitable to our language. But just for the sake of it, maybe a Dornish name... 'Arianne' exists here. Oberyn would be strange but kind of cool. Other 'ok' names could be Lyanna, Asha, Arya... Maybe Sansa if you stretch it a little bit. But any of those should be a middle/second name.

I'm Brazilian as well and I just can picture Little Sansa being called "Sonsa" in school all the time!

I wouldn't give a child a name of a asoiaf character, who isn't dead already, until the end of the series. For all we know a good person at this point could become a mass murderer. I wouldn't want to explain to my kid why they were named after a fictional homicidal maniac because I didn't pay attention and assumed there would be a happy ending.

i would think about arya for a daughter, but i would be afraid i'd regret it down the road. plus, i would never have a wife that would go along with it. unless she was as big a fan as i am

I think it's a wonderful name for a girl and I would not regret it, later in life. I looked up the meaning a while ago, it's a very old name and means "noble, great or truthful."

Shitmouth

Xaro Xhoan Daxos

The Tickler

Raff the Sweetling

Steelshanks Walton

Biter

Shagwell (it has a nice ring to it)

Nimble Dick (that as well)

Yollo

Hother Whoresbane

My only daughter - Gatehouse Ami

I'm sure my children would love me.

I grew up with a name that is fairly uncommon where I come from (there are like 4 people with my name in the whole country and I'm the youngest by 20 years or so last time I checked) and I never had any trouble with it.

I'm still grateful that my mum chose a name that was a bit out of the ordinary. I have met scores off people from around my age named Kevin, Laura, Matthieu and anything that ends with a Y (kenny, vicky, ...). After a while me and my friends just gave them numbers or used their surname to address them. I'd rather stand out than be cursed with such a common name.

Would I use an ASOIAF name? Yes, certainly (although I don't think that I'll be lucky enough to meet a wife who would allow it).

Cool names for boys: Maron, Brynden, Tywin, Aemond, Aerion/Aeron, Dagon, Victarion, Baelor, Maekar, Edric
And for girls: Lyanna, Ashara, Daenerys.

Other names from fiction that I like from the top of my head: Lara (Dr. Zhivago), Hurin (Children of Hurin), Lalaith (children of Hurin), ...

The only things I take into account is how cool the names sound and (when it are larger characters) whether or not I find them interesting to read about.

Lyanna is a very good name for a baby girl! It doesn't sound extravagant, yet it's unique. There's an actress called Liana.

I would love to name my son Victarion, Theon or Maron, and my daughter Asha, if I ever have kids, the problem is that ASoIaF names don't fit with Spanish surnames. Just imagine: Asha... López. No, nononono

Same problem here, I would love to name my daughter Lyanna, Myrcella or Arianne, but they don't fit with my surname (Páez) Although to be honest, they won't be as bad as english names with hispanic surnames like most kids today in my country :dunno:

I had been thinking about naming my first daughter Elia, and my first son Bran.

When you get cross with your daughter you can yell out "ELIAAAAAA!!!" and pretend you're Oberyn.

In the future, I am planning on having a cat called Stannis and a dog called Renly, though not necessarily at the same time.

That just doesn't bode well if you get them at the same time.

Archived