So, Dany being Azzor Ahai is a red herring?

total1402

I mean (correct me if there are pre ADWD examples) but Jon Snow being predicted to be Azzor Ahai happened at the tale end of ADWD. Based on Mels vision and Jons dream with a fiery sword. Which is after a lengthy battery of reasons to label Dany as AA (or at least the prophetic entity the Rhollor worshippers think as being AA).

The Comet announcing her coming, a red sword in the heavens.

She wakes dragons from stone and the dragons as lightbringer.

Quiathe saying that its Dany, not her dragons, but Dany herself that has brought magic back into the world. Specifically enahcning the power of fire magic. This is confirmed by the House of the Undying's attempt to covet her. The HBO adaptation is even more explicit on this point and goes to the point of making her fireproof. She also has the prophetic vision calling her "bride of fire".

Suffice to say. It was laid on pretty heavily in the prior books. Then Martin pulls a red herring on this? Jons AA now? I don't see how red herrings like this work in a literary work; they just seem more like a "surprise" factor. Obviously if you like Jon Snow you'd like him having a bit more substance to him. But its just such a U-turn to pull.

Yes and Tyrion says the Red Priests couldn't comprehend more than one saviour. But its a bit late to start establishing Jon as AA out of the blue.

Plus, I don't think its coincidence that just as Dany is starting to be seen as AA that Martin immediately changes tac and puts the focus on another character regarding that. To me that suggests that her as AA was intentionally a head herring. Lead a person one way and then turn it on its head.

I think it is way too early to say if Dany as AA is a red herring or if Jon as AA is a red herring or if they are both red herrings and AA is actually someone else entirely. Even if neither of them are AA, it is very obvious that they both will be important in their own way, so no big deal.

Nah, it won't be Red Herring for Jon. Not a chance. You start hinting that Snow is something; you can be guarenteed that he is it.

If its a red herring for Dany then I'am surprised the show felt the need to establish these things during season 2 and that Martin spent as long as he did on it. Her being or not being it hasn't really impacted her story (no special powers for instance) so saying she isn't it after all, is, kinda meh.

Nah, it won't be Red Herring for Jon. Not a chance. You start hinting that Snow is something; you can be guarenteed that he is it.

If its a red herring for Dany then I'am surprised the show felt the need to establish these things during season 2 and that Martin spent as long as he did on it. Her being or not being it hasn't really impacted her story (no special powers for instance) so saying she isn't it after all, is, kinda meh.

Its been hinted ever since we learned of Rhaegars belief that his child's song was one of Ice and Fire. Its been hinted at when Mel was trying to look for Stannis in the flames, but instead she found Jon Snow. It has been subtlety hinted at and honestly I believe it.

She wakes dragons from stone and the dragons as lightbringer.

Holy crap you just made me realize what Stannis, rather Mel has been trying to do, Dany already did, because I forgot to consider the eggs stones, but Illyrio did say that the times petrified them to stone. Thanks for that.

Some have speculated on this forum that the entire AAR/TPTWP prophecy is a giant red herring: get all the readers focused on the idea that one single individual will fulfill it, when it might be several (or it might not come true at all).

While there are more explicit hints at Jon being AAR/TPTWP in ADWD, one can argue that the R+L=J hints are subtle clues about Jon's possible "destiny." It was at the HOTU when we first learned that Rhaeger thought that Aegon was TPTWP, and since Aegon was presumed dead, then Jon (Rhaegar's possible son with Lyanna) could fill that role; it was also at the HOTU that we see the blue rose growing at the Wall. And we have Mormont's raven referring to Jon as "king" before they leave for the Great Ranging. Again, subtle hints that become less subtle once it's revealed that the Ghost of High Heart foresaw that the PTWTP would come from the line of Aerys II and Rhaella.

No matter if the prophecy is fulfilled or not, I think both Dany and Jon will play a crucial role in the final two books and the (seemingly) impending war against the Others. Dany is special: she brought dragons back into the world and is riding one without the aid of a horn or binding spells. Jon is special, too: Melisandre sees him in her flames, he's had visions of fighting with a flaming sword, and he might be the child of Ice (Stark) and Fire (Targaryen).

And I think Tyrion and Euron will play huge roles, as well. Moqorro does see their shadows looming in the flames, and it appears that he's more adept at interpreting fire visions than Melisandre is. I don't know if that means that they'll be dragon riders, but I wouldn't be shocked if their paths become increasingly intertwined with Dany's and Jon's (hell, Tyrion is already in Meereen) as the series draws to its end.

Holy crap you just made me realize what Stannis, rather Mel has been trying to do, Dany already did, because I forgot to consider the eggs stones, but Illyrio did say that the times petrified them to stone. Thanks for that.

Its just as reasonable though to think that when Stannis sacrifices Theon before the heart tree that he will wake the Stone Dragon. Jon is probably in some sort of coma and the frozen bodies analogy kept coming up n ADWD. If Jon's body is frozen solid, it will be like Stone and thus Stannis will wake him.

Some have speculated on this forum that the entire AAR/TPTWP prophecy is a giant red herring: get all the readers focused on the idea that one single individual will fulfill it, when it might be several (or it might not come true at all).

While there are more explicit hints at Jon being AAR/TPTWP in ADWD, one can argue that the R+L=J hints are subtle clues about Jon's possible "destiny." It was at the HOTU when we first learned that Rhaeger thought that Aegon was TPTWP, and since Aegon was presumed dead, then Jon (Rhaegar's possible son with Lyanna) could fill that role; it was also at the HOTU that we see the blue rose growing at the Wall. And we have Mormont's raven referring to Jon as "king" before they leave for the Great Ranging. Again, subtle hints that become less subtle once it's revealed that the Ghost of High Heart foresaw that the PTWTP would come from the line of Aerys II and Rhaella.

No matter if the prophecy is fulfilled or not, I think both Dany and Jon will play a crucial role in the final two books and the (seemingly) impending war against the Others. Dany is special: she brought dragons back into the world and is riding one without the aid of a horn or binding spells. Jon is special, too: Melisandre sees him in her flames, he's had visions of fighting with a flaming sword, and he might be the child of Ice (Stark) and Fire (Targaryen).

And I think Tyrion and Euron will play huge roles, as well. Moqorro does see their shadows looming in the flames, and it appears that he's more adept at interpreting fire visions than Melisandre is. I don't know if that means that they'll be dragon riders, but I wouldn't be shocked if their paths become increasingly intertwined with Dany's and Jon's (hell, Tyrion is already in Meereen) as the series draws to its end.

Completely agree with this

I think honestly that GRRM presumably killed Jon because he wanted us to think that he was a red herring, when in fact he isnt.

Its just as reasonable though to think that when Stannis sacrifices Theon before the heart tree that he will wake the Stone Dragon. Jon is probably in some sort of coma and the frozen bodies analogy kept coming up n ADWD. If Jon's body is frozen solid, it will be like Stone and thus Stannis will wake him.

That is true, he is a dragon, but maybe it will be more in the Stark custom of making life like gravestones, thus a stone dragon.

Generally, I'd say anybody who is outright called Azor Ahai in the text (Stannis, Dany, Aegon) is a Red Herring. Jon seems to be a strong contender, though I wish GRRM was trolling us all and it turned out to be Victarion.

I still think AA is 3 (the 3 heads of the dragon) to 7 (7 kingdoms...7 Gods etc.) people.

I think so too. Jon seems like he may be TPTWP, Dany killing Drogo to birth Drogon sounds like AA, but the dragon has 3 heads so the third will probably be another secret Targ.....Tyrion probably.

Archived