Is Robert Baratheon an Overrated Warrior?

Blackfyre the Bold

IMO big rob with his war hammer or afoot could be the greatest warrior in westeros history. At least challenging the greats of any era. I believe he is underrated.

Edit, rob on the Trident against anyone ever, who could have beat him?

IMO big rob with his war hammer or afoot could be the greatest warrior in westeros history. At least challenging the greats of any era. I believe he is underrated.

Ser Barristan and Ser Dayne, assuming that Robert was all force and no grace

Robert in general is overrated on this board. He is the finest general we have seen in the series. Realistically only his namesake Robb may have surpassed him.

However, as a warrior there are many, who I think would be favourite to beat him. Jaime, Dayne and Selmy would probably win most times. Sandor would have a great chance too. This is before we get into the legendary fighters like Bittersteel, Fireball, Cregan Stark, Aemon the Dragonknight and of course Daemon Blackfyre.

Jon Connington also recollects in his POV that Robert almost killed him on the steps of the sept during the Battle of the Bells. And Jon is also a noted fighter. In that battle he killed Ser Denys Arryn grievously wounded Hoster Tully.

As a warrior Robert Baratheon I think is slightly underrated if anything, I mean at his peak I'd say he was easily one of the Top 10 in Westeros at that time. Imo he probably could have at least held his own against Dayne and the rest of Aerys' Kingsguard, considering Dayne was apparently defeated by Rhaegar in jousting at Harrenhal. Not that jousting is necessarily indicative of skill in actual combat, but we do know what happened to Rhaegar.

NO,He's probably one of the top 10 fighters in the 300 year histories of Westeros.

Fighting with a shield and War Hammer(Yes it was one handed,The two handed ones are called Mallets) effectively is generally harder than fighting with a sword and shield,Due to the Hammer being slower.

Robert in general is overrated on this board. He is the finest general we have seen in the series. Realistically only his namesake Robb may have surpassed him.

However, as a warrior there are many, who I think would be favourite to beat him. Jaime, Dayne and Selmy would probably win most times. Sandor would have a great chance too. This is before we get into the legendary fighters like Bittersteel, Fireball, Cregan Stark, Aemon the Dragonknight and of course Daemon Blackfyre.

I can't believe this. The laughing storm was comparable to those guys, and even to big rob, but I think history would remember big rob> laughing storm.

Jamie, imo, loses almost every time. Sandor every time. Selmy would be a great match. The legends I have explained.

He was good as a warrior, bad as a person and even a worst king.

Judging him as a warrior based on how his personality was isn't right, as isn't right to judge him as a person based on his skills as a warrior. As I said before, he's the guy every man would like to have as a friend, but definitely not as a son or brother in law.

What about Jaime and the Cleganes?

Well I consider Jaime a level below Arthur and Barristan so I would say out of 10 he can win 4 times tops but when those 3 go against each other , it;s like tossing a coin.

The point about Robert is that he is stronger than all of them , barring Gregor , and he only needs on blow to stick and the guy is a goner.

Archived