[Book Spoilers] Surprise Engagements

LordStoneheart

I was wondering how they were going to handle Tywin's orders for her to remarry. The choice of Loras took me by huge surprise.

I doubt it's going to affect the overall plot, but it was somewhat of a stroke of genius in the writing since they're pushing back Oberyn for now.

Episode as a whole I give it a 9 out of 10. minus one star because of the rushed Loras/Littlefinger spy scene. I feel like there was a better way to let the secret out to the Lannisters without making Loras ready to jump into bed with someone who bats an eye at him. In the books he was heartbroken for a long time.

I also loved how Tyrion stuck up for Sansa by bringing up crazy Joff's treatment of her. The Sansa-Tyrion plot took my brother and father by complete surprise.

i remember back in season 2 d&d said they would change things purposely to keep it fresh for book readers as well. the cersei/loras engagement was definitely that for me. it makes sense but i really didn't see it coming with all the sansa/loras talk. :eek:

The Loras/Cersei engagement is interesting. We'll see how (and why) that engagement gets undone, since Tywin doesn't seem like a man who's refused, and he seems pretty determined on this engagement.

I figure he'll probably end up joining the KG. Although if he is indeed heir to Highgarden that throws a bit of a wrench in it.

I recall Tywin offered to marry her to Balon Greyjoy in the book as well. Her reaction to that was amusing.

That was hilarious to read. But watching her father arrange a marriage to a man Tyrion just mocked for not liking women was hilarious. Although kind of stupid on Tywin's part but he probably thinks they can find a way to breed.

That was hilarious to read. But watching her father arrange a marriage to a man Tyrion just mocked for not liking women was hilarious. Although kind of stupid on Tywin's part but he probably thinks they can find a way to breed.

There are most likely other Lords who swing their swords the other way in Westeros. Some of them manage to do the deed enough times to have a child or too. Look up Jim McGreevey, for example.

Also, in the books, Tywin first tries to marry Cersei to Willas, is rejected, and then begins looking at his other options.

There are most likely other Lords who swing their swords the other way in Westeros. Some of them manage to do the deed enough times to have a child or too. Look up Jim McGreevey, for example.

Also, in the books, Tywin first tries to marry Cersei to Willas, is rejected, and then begins looking at his other options.

Oh I know, it's just funny that Tywin doesn't seem concerned at all by it and is just sort of like "you'll figure it out."

Very good episode. Jaime/Brienne were fantastic.

Now, I'm not a book purist by any means, but did anyone else think the "pickled-babies-in-mad-scientist-jars" thing with Selyse and Stannis was kind of...bizarre? I mean, the idea itself isn't that bad, but the actual props looked like something out of an 80's sci-fi movie. It was just very out of place.

Otherwise though it was a great episode.

Tywin said he wanted to marry Cersei to Loras because he was going to inherit Highgarden. So, one would assume there is no willas or garlan in the series, right? Loras and Margaery are going to be the only Tyrell kids...

I'm not sure about this, but I guess it means Willas/Garlan will not have any big participation whatsoever in tWoW or aDoS. Otherwise they wouldn't simply rule them out in the series.

Tywin said he wanted to marry Cersei to Loras because he was going to inherit Highgarden. So, one would assume there is no willas or garlan in the series, right? Loras and Margaery are going to be the only Tyrell kids...

I'm not sure about this, but I guess it means Willas/Garlan will not have any big participation whatsoever in tWoW or aDoS. Otherwise they wouldn't simply rule them out in the series.

They could always cast a younger Willas later if they need to. Since Loras would be a KG Willa's would become heir.

Archived