Best Overall King Regardless of Claim

Fair enough, but whoring and drinking do not a bad king make.

Had he been happy, even if he continued whoring and drinking, I feel Robert wouldn't have allowed them to reach the self-destructive levels they did. He could have been a pretty decent king if his depression wasn't dictating every decision he was making.

I think Robert's only built to be a wartime King. Someone makes the comment that he's happiest in conflict, and outside of that gets bored and goes frat boy. I don't think he's more interested in the day to day of ruling in peacetime whoever he marries. I think different wives would use the power gap that allows in more beneficial ways than Cersie did, and may even occasionally tweak his interest in specific projects (like periodic parenting), but I doubt it's sustained or consistent. He's just not wired that way.

That`s then problem of entire Westeros. You can`t control someone who doesn`t want to be controlled. Jon Arryn had the same ag, and half of his bannermen during Robert`s Rebellion were against him. Tyrells have dubious support from their bannermen. Greyjoys may have control over Iron Islands, but it`s still too chaotic. Was Robb bad King because he couldn`t have stopped Bolton? No, he was bad for another reasons. Iron fist means nothing. I don`t see how Tully bannerman were/are any different from any others.

Well then you punish oath breakers and replace them with loyal men or you hold them with the strength of your personality. Westeros is just like any government today. If you dont want to obey the rules of the land then you end up in prison or can leave. When Jorah had ideas about breaking the rules he was about to lose his head.

I am very serious, if the Seven Kingdoms are to be saved Stannis must take the Iron Throne and destroy the Faith before they allow outlaw kings and queens from the east to invade with hordes of savages, sellswords and scoundrels. All the userpers must bend the knee or Mel and Stannis will annihilate them.

Where do you think Mel is from?

From the east as well, Asshia or whatever. However she is far more civilized than say the Ghiscari or the Doktraki. That is why she is fit to rule unlike the Targ filth.

Even Aegon the conqueror converted to the seven. You don't come to a country and force them to worship your god and your god only. I cant see that going over to well with the people of Westeros.

Gotta agree with this Melisandre would not be a good queen. Any queen who peresecutes their subjects for religious reasons doesnt deserve the throne they sit on.

Look at Bloody Mary Tudor, no one is claiming she was a good queen. Mel would be like a sexier version of Bloody Mary.

Even Aegon the conqueror converted to the seven. You don't come to a country and force them to worship your god and your god only. I cant see that going over to well with the people of Westeros.

It worked for Charlemagne and the Islamic Caliphs. It might work for Stannis. (might not, too)

I am not trolling, I disagree with you yet I don't call you trolls. Anyway back on topic can you blame the Targs they are just upjumped fools with a few dragons that did all the work for them. Most of the rulers we have seen with their blood are either madmen, fools, cowards, oathbreakers, warmongers and schemers. Only a select few people are capable of ruling this trainwreck of a realm. Roose Bolton, Tywin, Stannis or Melisandre.

I am not trolling, I disagree with you yet I don't call you trolls. Anyway back on topic can you blame the Targs they are just upjumped fools with a few dragons that did all the work for them. Most of the rulers we have seen with their blood are either madmen, fools, cowards, oathbreakers, warmongers and schemers. Only a select few people are capable of ruling this trainwreck of a realm. Roose Bolton, Tywin, Stannis or Melisandre.

Valyrians are one of the most civilized people in the world. You may have a few weak and mad Targaryens but there are many who were also pretty strong and of a legendary status. I'm not talking about Kings only though but then again looking at the recent Kings and how can you even call the Targaryen line that bad?

Robert - Terrible

Joffrey - Far Worse

Tommen - Bad

Cersei - Totally nuts

/conversation

I apologize, I really thought you were joking at first. You don't see many people go out of their way to defend Melisandre very often.

I am not a Cersei fan, but we can't blame her for Robert being Robert.

I wasn't blaming her i'm just saying Robert would have been benefited from Lyanna as a wife. He repeatedly called Cersie and her family scheming vipers.This was a match not orchestrated by him but by Jon Arryn.If Ned would have been a good influence on Robert it stands to reason that Lyanna would have done so as his queen, especially seeing that he loved her.He was not happy and i think it stemmed from him loosing Lyanna and being with someone he didn't love.His home life suffered so his rule suffered,i truly believe that there are some women who are able to influence Kings to do remarkable things i.e King Tut's mother i believe.

Archived