Best Overall King Regardless of Claim

Stannis would be the best with Melisandre as Queen. Tywin is a Hand through and through he is to shady to outright rule the realm.

Meli already is the Queen in all but name. Anyone around Stannis sees it that way.

Lyanna would have run off later instead of sooner if married to Robert. Nature did not intend him to have a sensitive wife, he should have married some jolly crass person or a practical, less loony schemer who made the best of it. Lyanna was neither.

Enough of him.

IMO either Bran, Dany and Jon, once older, could be both reasonably moral and effective monarchs, but it all depends on having coalitions of great houses supporting you and you being good enough at the job that they don't get restless. I'm speaking of general qualities.

Stannis might be a reasonable King to have in the present circs, too.

If KL wasn't filled with corruption, I think Ned would've been a pretty good king. Tywin, while not the kindest of guy around, would've been pretty damn efficient. I'd also say that Doran and Davos would be good kings as well. I like Stannis, but I'd think he'd only be a good king depending on the circumstances. He wouldn't be awful or bad though as he definitely has experience. Dany is so far pretty bad, but she may get better. As long as he isn't in the clutches of Cersei or a Tyrell, Tommen does have some potential, but I doubt he'll live long enough.

As for some dead Targaryens:

Brynden Rivers- Said to be Ruthless but showed great results during his time as the master of whisperers and as a hand of the king. He'd be maybe as good as Tywin would be.

Baelor Breakspear- No need to explain this one. If his son is half the man he was, then he'd also make an excellent king.

Aemon- Wouldn't have been spectacular like Jaehaerys or Daeron II but he would still be great.

Doran Martell.

I said this, too. I'm surprised he's not getting more love on this thread. Doran Martell has kept Dorne out of the War of Five Kings and seems to be a laissez faire style ruler, much easier to live under than a tyrant like Joffrey or a fanatic like Stannis.

I said this, too. I'm surprised he's not getting more love on this thread. Doran Martell has kept Dorne out of the War of Five Kings and seems to be a laissez faire style ruler, much easier to live under than a tyrant like Joffrey or a fanatic like Stannis.

I agree with you that Doran Martell would be a good king but i do see a flaw that his daughter and his nieces point out: he waits to act. Dont get me wrong in the situations hes been in so far its been the best thing to do. However kings who dont act quickly but rationally ussually dont have the time to react. He may have been a good king who knows.

Dorne has its own culture uniting it under Doran, and as Doran says, Dorne is actually not very powerful. My point is he'd need different skills to keep the seven kingdoms united.

Tywin Lannister. An excellent administrator, military strategist. Feared and respected by his bannermen in equal measure... what's not to love?

For a country and for lords hes a good king, for the common folk hes a monstrosity who all they know about is he cruel and he shits gold.

I don't think that Tywin would be good king. Yes, he was good administrator and good strategist but as diplomat he was bad unless it include backstabbing and betrayel. He wasn't able secure marriage for his children until Jon Arryn made him offer or had Sansa as hostage. Before and during Wot5K he wasn't able secure alliance and after Joff's death his plans would antagonize Tyrells.

I think that best would be Baelor Breakspear.

I don't think that Tywin would be good king. Yes, he was good administrator and good strategist but as diplomat he was bad unless it include backstabbing and betrayel. He wasn't able secure marriage for his children until Jon Arryn made him offer or had Sansa as hostage. Before and during Wot5K he wasn't able secure alliance and after Joff's death his plans would antagonize Tyrells.

I think that best would be Baelor Breakspear.

Thank you! I can't believe that name didn't come up more often.

I am not trolling, I disagree with you yet I don't call you trolls. Anyway back on topic can you blame the Targs they are just upjumped fools with a few dragons that did all the work for them. Most of the rulers we have seen with their blood are either madmen, fools, cowards, oathbreakers, warmongers and schemers. Only a select few people are capable of ruling this trainwreck of a realm. Roose Bolton, Tywin, Stannis or Melisandre.

Jaeharys I, Viserys I, Aegon III, Viserys the II, Daeron the II, Aerys I, Maekar I, Aegon V and Jaeharys II beg to differ.

Archived